Sign in with
Your question

Wondering about a motherboard + processor combo upgrade

Last response: in Motherboards
January 24, 2013 2:21:28 AM

hi was on ebay and looking at some motherboard + processor combo's
saw some real nice ones well nice for me like this one for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/AthlonII-X2-245-2-9-GHz-Dual-Co... was wondering if that would fit into a hp dx2000 mt
or what i would need to do to put a new mother board + cpu in my computer for like an upgrade and if it was on scale from easy to hard just looking for some general info about this
January 24, 2013 2:34:50 AM

maybe i could buy a motherboard +cpu combo and have a cheap local computer repair upgrade store just install it for me if its two hard that could work too
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 2:58:12 AM

It's not going to be too hard.

All it takes is a screwdriver and a tube of thermal paste - a youtube video will tell you everything you need.

Nothing about building a computer is harder than putting together one of the more complex LEGO kits.

(That being said, go to the start menu and run DxDiag.exe - tell us what processor you have now, as that Athlon II might be a downgrade from what you already have depending on the model of that computer.)
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2013 3:00:37 AM

i got a pentium 4 3.ghz processor no hyper threading
m
l
January 24, 2013 3:03:15 AM

thats if my wife lets me build it lol but even if she wants me to bring to shop
all im paying for is labor can be more then 40-50 bucks to have expert do it
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 3:08:36 AM

Hello... your memory is DDR... will not work with this motherboard, DDR2 memory is not included in the COMBO... Shipping is crazy high... Your Power supply is pretty LOW, if you plan to run a better Video card in it... see note about Power supply 350watt? yours is spec'd at 250watt... A newer ATX power supply could fit into your case.

It does look like it would install in your case size wise... and your IDE drives would plug into it... and you have the option for newer SATA drives.
m
l
January 24, 2013 3:11:56 AM

well ram is cheap and this computer got a pci 8400 gs 512mb video card
m
l
!