PSP memory stick problems?

My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
    > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
    > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.

    Did he format it first? If you simply stick a Memory Stick Pro Duo into the
    PSP, it won't work.

    AFAIK, the only difference between the Pro Duo and the normal Duo (I've used
    both in my PSP) is that the Pro Duo won't store music in Sony's proprietary
    format (that whole ATRAC3Plus business). If you are using MP3s instead of
    ATRAC3Plus files, however, then it doesn't matter--both the Pro Duo and
    normal Duo will store MP3's.

    Android wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
    > > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
    > > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.
    >
    > Did he format it first? If you simply stick a Memory Stick Pro Duo into the
    > PSP, it won't work.
    >
    > AFAIK, the only difference between the Pro Duo and the normal Duo (I've used
    > both in my PSP) is that the Pro Duo won't store music in Sony's proprietary
    > format (that whole ATRAC3Plus business). If you are using MP3s instead of
    > ATRAC3Plus files, however, then it doesn't matter--both the Pro Duo and
    > normal Duo will store MP3's.

    thanks Android... how does he format if he doesn't have the access to
    the card?

    --

    > Android wrote:
    > >
    > > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > > > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > > > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > > > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > > > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
    > > > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > > > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > > > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
    > > > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.
    > >
    > > Did he format it first? If you simply stick a Memory Stick Pro Duo into
    the
    > > PSP, it won't work.
    > >
    > > AFAIK, the only difference between the Pro Duo and the normal Duo (I've
    used
    > > both in my PSP) is that the Pro Duo won't store music in Sony's
    proprietary
    > > format (that whole ATRAC3Plus business). If you are using MP3s instead
    of
    > > ATRAC3Plus files, however, then it doesn't matter--both the Pro Duo and
    > > normal Duo will store MP3's.
    >
    > thanks Android... how does he format if he doesn't have the access to
    > the card?

    Well, I'm not sure that he can. Even if the stick is not formatted, the PSP
    should still recognize it. If it doesn't "see" it at all, there is
    obviously a problem. Do you have a memory stick slot/reader in your PC that
    will allow you to check and see if there is any data on it?

    I was so gung ho when I first got the PSP that I immediately transferred
    MP3s and MPEG4 videos to a memory stick in my computer, then put it in the
    PSP and...nothing! I then realized that the PSP has to format the memory
    stick first--formatting it via PC doesn't work.

    To format the stick, put it into the PSP and turn it on without a disk
    inserted (or, if you have a disk inserted, press the Home button to exit the
    game). From the PSP's Main Menu screen, move to the far left to the
    Settings icon (looks like a suitcase) and then go down to the System
    Settings icon. Press X to enter. The fourth selection in the list is
    "Format Memory Stick."

    Hope this solves your problem. If it won't format, it sounds like a faulty
    stick.

    Mark

    Android wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Android wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Did he format it first? If you simply stick a Memory Stick Pro Duo into
    > the
    > > > PSP, it won't work.
    > > >
    > > > AFAIK, the only difference between the Pro Duo and the normal Duo (I've
    > used
    > > > both in my PSP) is that the Pro Duo won't store music in Sony's
    > proprietary
    > > > format (that whole ATRAC3Plus business). If you are using MP3s instead
    > of
    > > > ATRAC3Plus files, however, then it doesn't matter--both the Pro Duo and
    > > > normal Duo will store MP3's.
    > >
    > > thanks Android... how does he format if he doesn't have the access to
    > > the card?
    >
    > Well, I'm not sure that he can. Even if the stick is not formatted, the PSP
    > should still recognize it. If it doesn't "see" it at all, there is
    > obviously a problem. Do you have a memory stick slot/reader in your PC that
    > will allow you to check and see if there is any data on it?
    >
    > I was so gung ho when I first got the PSP that I immediately transferred
    > MP3s and MPEG4 videos to a memory stick in my computer, then put it in the
    > PSP and...nothing! I then realized that the PSP has to format the memory
    > stick first--formatting it via PC doesn't work.
    >
    > To format the stick, put it into the PSP and turn it on without a disk
    > inserted (or, if you have a disk inserted, press the Home button to exit the
    > game). From the PSP's Main Menu screen, move to the far left to the
    > Settings icon (looks like a suitcase) and then go down to the System
    > Settings icon. Press X to enter. The fourth selection in the list is
    > "Format Memory Stick."
    >
    > Hope this solves your problem. If it won't format, it sounds like a faulty
    > stick.
    >
    > Mark

    Thanks Mark, it still sees no card so it looks like it's a dud. I
    recall people asking if airport scanners could damage stuff like this,
    is that a possibility?

    anyway, no, we don't have a card read, more's the shame.
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
    > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
    > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.

    Just curious as to why you bought a memory stick from Hong Kong? You can
    buy them in the UK. I boguth mine from www.mymemory.co.uk
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Beck wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
    > > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
    > > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.
    >
    > Just curious as to why you bought a memory stick from Hong Kong? You can
    > buy them in the UK. I boguth mine from www.mymemory.co.uk

    Hi beck. He only uses paypal so tends to buy from ebay etc.

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > I was so gung ho when I first got the PSP that I immediately transferred
    > MP3s and MPEG4 videos to a memory stick in my computer, then put it in the
    > PSP and...nothing! I then realized that the PSP has to format the memory
    > stick first--formatting it via PC doesn't work.

    Did you save the files to their proper directories?

    Music must be stored in \PSP\MUSIC
    Movies must be stored in \MP_ROOT\100MNV01
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does
    this
    > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course
    it's
    > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.

    The only thing that comes to mind when reading your post and the others
    here trying to help you is two things. ONE: Did you import the games
    from Japan too? Could there be an incompatability with the games? TWO:
    Did you try to connect the psp to the computer yet? I would say send
    the memory stick back. Its the only thing in the equation that isnt
    working. And buy it from that place that Beck suggested. She is a
    wealth of knowledge that Beck! :)

    > --
    > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    > Stop and Look
    > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
    > > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
    > > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.
    >
    > Did he format it first? If you simply stick a Memory Stick Pro Duo into
    the
    > PSP, it won't work.
    >
    > AFAIK, the only difference between the Pro Duo and the normal Duo (I've
    used
    > both in my PSP) is that the Pro Duo won't store music in Sony's
    proprietary
    > format (that whole ATRAC3Plus business). If you are using MP3s instead of
    > ATRAC3Plus files, however, then it doesn't matter--both the Pro Duo and
    > normal Duo will store MP3's.

    Interesting, this must be in their factory acceptance test report. They
    should
    release a patch so the PSP'll be able to discover any (compatible) media
    card i/p.
    C.f. PC h/w.

    Cheers,
    LG.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Brenden D. Chase" wrote:

    > The only thing that comes to mind when reading your post and the others
    > here trying to help you is two things. ONE: Did you import the games
    > from Japan too? Could there be an incompatability with the games? TWO:
    > Did you try to connect the psp to the computer yet? I would say send
    > the memory stick back. Its the only thing in the equation that isnt
    > working. And buy it from that place that Beck suggested. She is a
    > wealth of knowledge that Beck! :)

    Thanks brendan. well, first off, none of the kit is mine, it's all my
    (grownup) son's and getting info from him is like getting blood from a
    stone. Yes, the game he has is an import, but without the game in the
    light flashes amber and the machine doesn't read or see the card. I
    don't think he has tried to link the machine to the computer, but
    would that help or is it that you think there may be a compatibility
    issue? The only reason he bought it was the assurances that there
    would be no problems with regions etc. I've only seen him once today.
    I asked if he had been in touch with the folks who sold him the card,
    he said yes, I turned round and he was gone. I'm buggered if I'm going
    to chase around the house after him :O)

    Yes, Beck's suggestion is probably the right one. He really has this
    thing that Ebay is the dog's bollocks, even though things do go wrong
    with his purchases.

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
    > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
    > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.

    Hi Paul, in case the Japanese is too difficult (it was for me) you might
    find the EN manual which you can download here quite handy:
    http://www.psptalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=61.

    Michel
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    PSPtalk wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > My son bought a japanese import psp into the uk, no problems works
    > > fine. He then tried to buy a memory card on Ebay, had a long wait and
    > > no card, got his cash back and ordered one from Hongkong, a memory
    > > stick pro duo. Now, when he tries to put it in the psp the magicgate
    > > lamp flashes and if he tries to do anything it says no card. Does this
    > > mean the card is fritzed or does it need the duo adapter? Apparently
    > > it should have had one with it but didn't. He's a bit confused as on
    > > the PSP box it does show both duo and pro duo cards but of course it's
    > > all in japanese so he can't read the instructions.
    >
    > Hi Paul, in case the Japanese is too difficult (it was for me) you might
    > find the EN manual which you can download here quite handy:
    > http://www.psptalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=61.
    >
    > Michel

    Thanks Michel!
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Console Gaming PlayStation Japanese Memory Video Games