fuji s602 52mm to 52mm-28mm to nikon fc-e8 feasible?

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 4, 2005 9:12:22 PM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I'm looking into making a bunch of inside room panoramas. Just taking
a circle of pictures is time consuming and a narrow field of view so I
am thinking of trying a fisheye lens. My plan is

My s602z fuji with a 55mm tube to 52mm thread. Then a step down ring
of 52mm to 28mm and then screw the nikon fc-e8 fisheye to it.

I have never used lense camera stuff before so have no real idea is
this would actually work? Will the step down ring really support a
fisheye all on its own? Will I have trouble narrowing the lens so
much? I am assuming I can just zoom down it or something. The fuji has
manual aperture and focus to fiddle with.

Am I likely to end up with a workable 180 degree view for stitching? I
don't mind loosing a few degrees and just taking three shots instead
of two.

Anyway am I fooling myself or is this a feasible plan or should I give
up and buy a second hand nikon coolpix for the lens?

If it is then all I have to worry about is how to get a rotating
tripod stuff...

step down ring
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...

55-52mm tube at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...

fisheye thread mentioned at
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/A95/Len...

Thanks a bunch for any help
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:12:23 PM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/news.htm

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous

ff wrote:

> I'm looking into making a bunch of inside room panoramas. Just taking
> a circle of pictures is time consuming and a narrow field of view so I
> am thinking of trying a fisheye lens.

I believe you will get better results stitching normal pics together. I
tried stitching some very wide angle shots & it did not work well at
all. I was using a 'straight line' wide angle, not a fish eye.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Objects at the edge of the FOV of a W/A lens are distorted, fisheyes more
so. They might stitch but you'll give the viewer a headache. Use a standard
lens and overlap plenty.
"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> ff wrote:
>
> > I'm looking into making a bunch of inside room panoramas. Just taking
> > a circle of pictures is time consuming and a narrow field of view so I
> > am thinking of trying a fisheye lens.
>

> I believe you will get better results stitching normal pics together. I
> tried stitching some very wide angle shots & it did not work well at
> all. I was using a 'straight line' wide angle, not a fish eye.
>
> --
> Paul Furman
> http://www.edgehill.net/1
> san francisco native plants
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:03:40 AM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>> I'm looking into making a bunch of inside room panoramas. Just taking
>> a circle of pictures is time consuming and a narrow field of view so I
>> am thinking of trying a fisheye lens.
>
>I believe you will get better results stitching normal pics together. I
>tried stitching some very wide angle shots & it did not work well at
>all. I was using a 'straight line' wide angle, not a fish eye.

>Objects at the edge of the FOV of a W/A lens are distorted, fisheyes more
>so. They might stitch but you'll give the viewer a headache. Use a standard
>lens and overlap plenty.

Thank-you for the helpful comments. However the reason I'm thinking of
using a fisheye is because I need to do allot of small rooms. Trying
to do them with a camera in portrait mode plus multirows to avoid a
letterbox effect would be a nightmare.

I imagine mosaics do obviously give more quality but in a small room
and then reduced for the web I don't think it wil be a problem.

Looking at pages like http://www.bophoto.com/panos/index.html his
panoramas don't look at all distorted once stitched from 180 fisheye
images. Allot of the ipix like panoramas on the internet make from
fisheye lenses look fine too so I am hoping I can prevent barrelling
problems by the modern stitching software dealing with them.

Perhaps I am being overly optmistic in making this work but doing 30
houses with many rooms at twenty or thirty shots a room just wouldn't
be worth it...

Thanks a bunch for the thoughts though.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:14:09 PM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Oh if anyone is reading this I bought a fc-e9 fisheye off ebay in the
end. It does seem to work ok all in all. I used the standard fuji 55mm
tube with two step down rings to get me to 46mm and now get a perfect
circular 183 degree image. Non pin sharp but by the time its reduced
to two inches high on web site it looks as good as any. I can take two
back to back shots and capture and entire sphere of a room.

Yes is is a little distorting as you spin around but no worse than any
other ipix and such.

It's rather heavy which is a bitt worrying but all in all does
basically work.
!