Is HTPC with Pentium D820, worth 8GB RAM upgrade?

hi,

will i get any performance gain, when upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM (ddr3).

at present booting takes 169 seconds (soluto says so),
rendering of webpages (wired broadband connected through router), takes longer than my lappy (HP pavilion g6), on any browser.

i use it only for text publishing/printing, watching HD movies, browsing.

specs:
mobo: msi G41M-P26
CPU: Pentium d 820
GPU: ASUS HD EAH5450 1GB silent
RAM: EVM (stontium) 1333MHz 4GB
HDD: 1.160GB (2ndary)
2.1TB (primary, 7200)
Page file: disabled since a year, no problem. indeed it measured a significant performance gain of about 37s in booting, and fast access to background apps, while multitasking


regards
9 answers Last reply
More about htpc pentium d820 worth upgrade
  1. 4 gigs is more than enough for the light use you are doing on your rig. You might gain minimally from another 4 gigs for what you're doing, but I doubt it will be enough of a difference you will actually notice.
  2. You forgot to mention the OS you're using.

    Adding extra RAM can increase booting time.
    I don't believe your workload can get performance benefits from an extra 4GB of RAM.
    If you looking at buying extra RAM I'd suggest saving your money instead.
  3. scottiemedic said:
    4 gigs is more than enough for the light use you are doing on your rig. You might gain minimally from another 4 gigs for what you're doing, but I doubt it will be enough of a difference you will actually notice.



    thanks scottiemedic for ur reply,

    all i want is that, faster response and bootup...
    bootup is really irritating :fou: ,
    but gives me lots of time to refresh, when i come to home. :lol:
  4. WR2 said:
    You forgot to mention the OS you're using.

    Adding extra RAM can increase booting time.
    I don't believe your workload can get performance benefits from an extra 4GB of RAM.
    If you looking at buying extra RAM I'd suggest saving your money instead.



    thanks WR2,

    I am using windows 7 ultimate (64 version)
    actully i want to reduce, booting time, significantly..

    upon googling, i found that, RAM works better in dual configuration.
    this is only reason, i am curious.

    any opinions on it..??
    anyways i loved ur idea of saving my wallet :love:

    isn't ther any other ways to improve, booting time..??
  5. You have a single 4GB stick of RAM? I had guessed you probably had 2x 2GB of RAM.

    Nearly 3 minutes while booting is too long IMO.
    Have you looked into trimming your autostart programs and processes?
  6. Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode? That will show you the boot time with just basic Windows services loading. Tap on the F8 when the power comes on till you see the Advanced Boot options. Choose Windows Safe mode.

    Look at this article and see if has any suggestions you can put to use:

    What’s Taking So Long? How to Fight Slow Startup Times in Windows 7
  7. WR2 said:
    Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode? That will show you the boot time with just basic Windows services loading. Tap on the F8 when the power comes on till you see the Advanced Boot options. Choose Windows Safe mode.

    Look at this article and see if has any suggestions you can put to use:

    What’s Taking So Long? How to Fight Slow Startup Times in Windows 7



    Thanks WR2,

    I m using single 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, running at 800MHz.
    i have only one non-essential programme running at startup that's a messanger NIMBUZ,

    ur suggestion to boot in safe mode, is super!!
    i tried and found that it takes about a little less than 2 minute, upon safe boot.
    also have glanced, the link, its wonderful!!

    was :o to c that, jarmo made a comment that his pc was also taking about 3 minutes,
    and a SSD saved his system!!!

    will read it carefully, and try to figure it out on thursday ( :pfff: gotta go, i work in shifts :fou: )

    will post everything, that could be handy, :pt1cable:
    i hope u wil come back, again, :ange:
    till then,
    take care.. :hello:
  8. SSD? :D
  9. I think RAM upgrade will not help you.
    The best thing to do is to get a ssd and install the os on it.
    I think a ssd of 40 gb to 60 gb will give you a fantastic boot time.
    Windows uses 1-2gb for default stuff.
    So 4 gb is more than enough.
    Get a SSD.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance RAM