Core 2 duo vs i7 2600k + CUDA

I am writing a draft to the principal of my school about purchasing a new computer. It will be used with premiere pro cs 5.5.

I am considering putting a i7 2600k @ 4ghz+, 8 or 16 GB of memory, and gtx 560 TI or gtx 560 and a WD black drive.

About how much faster at encoding and rendering would this computer be over a iMac with 4gb of memory and a 3 ghz core 2 duo processor?
13 answers Last reply
More about core 2600k cuda
  1. Heh kind of like me, I actually have a multimedia class at my school and the macs there are very slow. So I said hey why not build a system there, so I did and it has an i5-2500k, gigabyte z68x-ud3h, 16gb of ram, etc. It has windows vista installed however I was not able to connect to my school server because they use AFP instead of FTP. So I had to turn that entire system into a hackintosh. Depends on what programs you guys are using, and obviously it will be much faster in rendering, but if you are connecting a server make sure that windows can connect to it. CUDA and the i7 are a huge upgrade over any core 2 duo especially in adobe programs.
  2. amuffin said:
    Heh kind of like me, I actually have a multimedia class at my school and the macs there are very slow. So I said hey why not build a system there, so I did and it has an i5-2500k, gigabyte z68x-ud3h, 16gb of ram, etc. It has windows vista installed however I was not able to connect to my school server because they use AFP instead of FTP. So I had to turn that entire system into a hackintosh. Depends on what programs you guys are using, and obviously it will be much faster in rendering, but if you are connecting a server make sure that windows can connect to it. CUDA and the i7 are a huge upgrade over any core 2 duo especially in adobe programs.

Give a guess. I need numbers because the price can be hard to swallow.
  3. It's much faster, though I would get a 2500k and a gtx 580 because AE or that entire suite uses CUDA much more than cpu. Most likely they won't spend $1500+ on a system, so if you want anything faster, build it on your own..
  4. amuffin said:
    It's much faster, though I would get a 2500k and a gtx 580 because AE or that entire suite uses CUDA much more than cpu. Most likely they won't spend $1500+ on a system, so if you want anything faster, build it on your own..

What would you think about a system for $2000 with CS 5.5 production premium, windows 7, and taxes, and shipping. (I live in Canada so taxes are 13%)
  5. Do you use an apple server?
  6. EDIT: never mind.
  7. amuffin said:
    Do you use an apple server?

I don't think so. Most of the computers in my school are Mass-order PC's so it uses a network that works with them.
  8. Anonymous said:
    both of you may find this interesting:
    Quick Sync for premier pro CS 5.5 plug-in
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?45254-Quick-Sync-for-premier-pro-CS-5.5-plug-in&s=3007bb121fe0b4b89b0fc8f52715fb47

Yes YES YES YYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS
  9. alegomaster said:
    I don't think so. Most of the computers in my school are Mass-order PC's so it uses a network that works with them.

Alright, just making sure so you dont' run into problems like I did.
  10. alegomaster said:
    I am writing a draft to the principal of my school about purchasing a new computer. It will be used with premiere pro cs 5.5.

I am considering putting a i7 2600k @ 4ghz+, 8 or 16 GB of memory, and gtx 560 TI or gtx 560 and a WD black drive.

About how much faster at encoding and rendering would this computer be over a iMac with 4gb of memory and a 3 ghz core 2 duo processor?

dont overclock a computer that is going to be used in this type of atmosphere. its asking for trouble. i can see the computer being cleaned once a year and overheating.

max out the memory if you can. memory is cheap.

You want a number? a sandy Bridge cpu is about 50% faster per core then what you have and about 3 times faster overall.
  11. cbrunnem said:
    dont overclock a computer that is going to be used in this type of atmosphere. its asking for trouble. i can see the computer being cleaned once a year and overheating.

max out the memory if you can. memory is cheap.

You want a number? a sandy Bridge cpu is about 50% faster per core then what you have and about 3 times faster overall.

The case I am using has a positive air pressure, and it has dust filters. All I need to do is to get the filter cleaned once in a while. The computer is in a small room which is locked most of the time. This is not in the middle of the library where every one can use it.
  12. alegomaster said:
    Yes YES YES YYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

sorry to get your hopes up, after reading some more, it seems the
    SDK is still flonky.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers Intel i7