Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Core 2 duo vs i7 2600k + CUDA

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 18, 2012 4:43:10 PM

I am writing a draft to the principal of my school about purchasing a new computer. It will be used with premiere pro cs 5.5.

I am considering putting a i7 2600k @ 4ghz+, 8 or 16 GB of memory, and gtx 560 TI or gtx 560 and a WD black drive.

About how much faster at encoding and rendering would this computer be over a iMac with 4gb of memory and a 3 ghz core 2 duo processor?

More about : core duo 2600k cuda

a c 185 à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:48:12 PM

Heh kind of like me, I actually have a multimedia class at my school and the macs there are very slow. So I said hey why not build a system there, so I did and it has an i5-2500k, gigabyte z68x-ud3h, 16gb of ram, etc. It has windows vista installed however I was not able to connect to my school server because they use AFP instead of FTP. So I had to turn that entire system into a hackintosh. Depends on what programs you guys are using, and obviously it will be much faster in rendering, but if you are connecting a server make sure that windows can connect to it. CUDA and the i7 are a huge upgrade over any core 2 duo especially in adobe programs.
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 4:51:10 PM

amuffin said:
Heh kind of like me, I actually have a multimedia class at my school and the macs there are very slow. So I said hey why not build a system there, so I did and it has an i5-2500k, gigabyte z68x-ud3h, 16gb of ram, etc. It has windows vista installed however I was not able to connect to my school server because they use AFP instead of FTP. So I had to turn that entire system into a hackintosh. Depends on what programs you guys are using, and obviously it will be much faster in rendering, but if you are connecting a server make sure that windows can connect to it. CUDA and the i7 are a huge upgrade over any core 2 duo especially in adobe programs.


Give a guess. I need numbers because the price can be hard to swallow.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:52:26 PM

It's much faster, though I would get a 2500k and a gtx 580 because AE or that entire suite uses CUDA much more than cpu. Most likely they won't spend $1500+ on a system, so if you want anything faster, build it on your own..
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 4:56:47 PM

amuffin said:
It's much faster, though I would get a 2500k and a gtx 580 because AE or that entire suite uses CUDA much more than cpu. Most likely they won't spend $1500+ on a system, so if you want anything faster, build it on your own..


What would you think about a system for $2000 with CS 5.5 production premium, windows 7, and taxes, and shipping. (I live in Canada so taxes are 13%)
m
0
l
a c 185 à CPUs
March 18, 2012 4:57:13 PM

Do you use an apple server?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 5:18:21 PM

I'd suggest you investigate Anandtech's CPU Bench. It generates great graphs in a variety of areas. I picked a random C2D - put yours in to see exact numbers.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/58?vs=287&i=2.5....

They can also generate great price/performance info like this chart: (CS4 shown here) Note that the 2600k is one of the best price/performance options.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/25?i=443.287.552.523...

These should be awesome to reference in the type of report you are making.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 5:18:30 PM

EDIT: never mind.
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 5:19:20 PM

amuffin said:
Do you use an apple server?


I don't think so. Most of the computers in my school are Mass-order PC's so it uses a network that works with them.
m
0
l
a c 185 à CPUs
March 18, 2012 5:21:59 PM

alegomaster said:
I don't think so. Most of the computers in my school are Mass-order PC's so it uses a network that works with them.

Alright, just making sure so you dont' run into problems like I did.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 5:31:07 PM

alegomaster said:
I am writing a draft to the principal of my school about purchasing a new computer. It will be used with premiere pro cs 5.5.

I am considering putting a i7 2600k @ 4ghz+, 8 or 16 GB of memory, and gtx 560 TI or gtx 560 and a WD black drive.

About how much faster at encoding and rendering would this computer be over a iMac with 4gb of memory and a 3 ghz core 2 duo processor?


dont overclock a computer that is going to be used in this type of atmosphere. its asking for trouble. i can see the computer being cleaned once a year and overheating.

max out the memory if you can. memory is cheap.

You want a number? a sandy Bridge cpu is about 50% faster per core then what you have and about 3 times faster overall.
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 5:38:14 PM

cbrunnem said:
dont overclock a computer that is going to be used in this type of atmosphere. its asking for trouble. i can see the computer being cleaned once a year and overheating.

max out the memory if you can. memory is cheap.

You want a number? a sandy Bridge cpu is about 50% faster per core then what you have and about 3 times faster overall.


The case I am using has a positive air pressure, and it has dust filters. All I need to do is to get the filter cleaned once in a while. The computer is in a small room which is locked most of the time. This is not in the middle of the library where every one can use it.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2012 5:38:44 PM

alegomaster said:
Yes YES YES YYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS


sorry to get your hopes up, after reading some more, it seems the
SDK is still flonky.
m
0
l
!