Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting (NEW) Old Build that Died :(

Last response: in Motherboards
January 24, 2013 6:14:23 AM

Hey all,

Problem is no post or beep or power on. cpu cooler and psu fans spin for 1-2 sec and power off. Will continue over and over as long as I let it. Power cycles continuously. I have tried two psu's and had the mobo and cpu RMA'd for brand NEW ones (long story). I even bought two Crucial Ballistix 8GB sticks to double check ram. even tried 3 different cpu fans, lol. The cpu and ram leds blink once as the fans spin. The mobo turns on steady leds when bare board. When cpu and cpu cooler only, it cycles as above. One ram OR two in ANY A1,A2,B1,B2 config wont work. It did the same thing with 2 other RMA'd mobos and other cpu. Please Help.

What can I try?
Reset CMOS?
Test RAM?
Test PSU?
Everything is brand new out of box at this point.

Asus P8P67 Rev 3 Deluxe mobo (tried 3 same)
Intel i5 2500K CPU (tried 2 same)
x6 elite cooler master cpu cooler and 212 CM cooler (tried both)
Corsair HX750 and Corsair HX650 (tried both)
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card (cycles with or without)
32 Gb DRAM 8x2 X 2 G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1333 PC3 - 10666 8GBx2 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v (cycles in any AB config)
-out of case-

a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 6:44:46 AM

PseudoScience said:
Hey all,

Problem is no post or beep or power on. cpu cooler and psu fans spin for 1-2 sec and power off. Will continue over and over as long as I let it. Power cycles continuously. I have tried two psu's and had the mobo and cpu RMA'd for brand NEW ones (long story). I even bought two Crucial Ballistix 8GB sticks to double check ram. even tried 3 different cpu fans, lol. The cpu and ram leds blink once as the fans spin. The mobo turns on steady leds when bare board. When cpu and cpu cooler only, it cycles as above. One ram OR two in ANY A1,A2,B1,B2 config wont work. It did the same thing with 2 other RMA'd mobos and other cpu. Please Help.

What can I try?
Reset CMOS?
Test RAM?
Test PSU?
Everything is brand new out of box at this point.

Asus P8P67 Rev 3 Deluxe mobo (tried 3 same)
Intel i5 2500K CPU (tried 2 same)
x6 elite cooler master cpu cooler and 212 CM cooler (tried both)
Corsair HX750 and Corsair HX650 (tried both)
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card (cycles with or without)
32 Gb DRAM 8x2 X 2 G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1333 PC3 - 10666 8GBx2 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v (cycles in any AB config)
-out of case-

Well what we have here is a power problem as far as I guess it. Try some basic things and let me know -
Since you tell if you have tried 2 cpus and defaulted BIOS I won't tell those about checking CPU cooler contact or switching jumpers.
Pull out the main PSU cable out of the Mainboard along with the other 2 as the case may be.Take a paper and roll it in form of a thin needle. Put it in each of the holes in the cable.Keep it for some time then reconnect. Then take out the main Psu power cable from back of chassis and push the power button for 1 minute.Reconnect and power on.Do all this with power off.
m
l
a c 194 à CPUs
a c 472 V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 6:57:31 AM

sounds like there a dead short. check under the cpu for bent pins and check that the cpu cooler backplate not shorting the mb out. with no cards and ram installed..and the system bread boarded and with a mb speaker do you get any cmos beep codes??
if the mb/ps/cpu are fine there should be fan spin and cmos beep code. if not check that you have the 8 pin blue atx power connected.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8P67/#gallery
top right of the mb. near the ports.
also check that your not using a 6 plus 2 video power cable for that power plug. (they will fit). most atx mb have two 4 pin plugs that lock together to make one 8 pin port. (there also on some modular power an issue where the 8 pin cable wont fit...but wil work fine if you can get 1/2 of the cable connected.).
m
l
!