Sign in with
Your question

I3 2120 Tj max temp

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 18, 2012 6:13:20 PM

Hi, please excuse me if this was answered somewhere else, but I can't seem to find a definite answer to this, and I've been looking for about an hour now.

I just finished my first build today (yay!), and I tried running prime95 blend test. Using CoreTemp and RealTemp, I saw my CPU temp go up and up until it got into the 70C's and I stopped the test.

My question is, what is the Tj max for the i3 2120? Intel only lists Tcase. Both RealTemp and CoreTemp had 102*C as the Tj max, but I wasn't sure if that was the program default or specific to my processor.

Also, is it correct that a "max safe" temp is about 20*C below the Tj max?

Lastly, for a beginner like myself, should I try and calibrate RealTemp/CoreTemp? or are their values normally close the actual values when you first install the program?

Just an ending note, I am currently using the stock CPU cooler, but I am considering upgrading.

More about : 2120 max temp

a c 79 à CPUs
March 18, 2012 7:56:11 PM

http://ark.intel.com/products/53426/Intel-Core-i3-2120-...(3M-Cache-3_30-GHz)
only gives Tcase

But keep below t case and you'll be fine there is no need to have a huge buffer (the 20C difference you were talking about)

Stock is fine if you are not overclocking. You may want to change away from stock cooling if you are in a hot location or want it to be quieter.

m
l
March 18, 2012 9:11:54 PM

Yeah, I've seen the Tcase rating before (which is why I got worried when I was getting into the 70C's). I just can't find what the Tj rating is. I've also heard that the Tj is generally 5C above Tcase, can anyone confirm this? Should I run the test again and see if it goes above 80C, and if it does, seriously consider upgrading the heatsink asap?

And my parents (I built this for them) don't use AC in the summer, so that's a big reason I'm thinking of upgrading the heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 2:30:43 AM

I ran the Prime95 blend test again for about 10 minutes and reach a max load temp of 75-81C; idle temp is anywhere from 31-45C (using CoreTemp). Are these temps normal for an i3 2120 with a stock heatsink? and considering it will get hotter in the summer, should I really consider upgrading to a better heatsink?
m
l
October 16, 2012 3:47:49 AM

i m not sure if tht is normal or not ...but i m using i3 2120 too and i did test with IntelBurnTest..for the last 10 min ..my max temp was 72*c .with a standard cooler which came along with the processor...for how much long did u run the test ?
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 4:03:52 AM

shogankiller said:
My question is, what is the Tj max for the i3 2120? Intel only lists Tcase. Both RealTemp and CoreTemp had 102*C as the Tj max, but I wasn't sure if that was the program default or specific to my processor.

TJmax is the same for all Ivy Bridge CPUs and yes, it is over 100C and yes, that does mean up to a 30C difference between TJ and TCase.

And yes, 70C is not all that uncommon for Ivy Bridge with stock cooler under synthetic burn-in testing.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 6:21:15 AM

Case airflow would also matter, again those temperatures are expected.
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:51:16 AM

so wht the *C is normal at full load ? my is sandy bridge 2120...
my standard cooler always run at 1028 rpm .. if it is at low load..if it go higher it don't change much ..but for a brand pc(dell,hp) the fan speed go higher to cool it down ..can this happen with standard cooler ??
m
l
!