Which monitor?

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi Guys,

Please could you give me your views on which of these two monitors would be best suited for gaming:

24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor

OR

27" Asus VE278Q Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor

Please could you just give your views out of these two ONLY

The rest of the system details are as below:

Cooler Master Elite 430 Case

Processor:
Intel Core i7 2600K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.6GHz

CPU Cooler:
Corsair A70 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste:
Generic thermal paste

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard

Memory:
16GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (4 x 4GB sticks)

Graphics Card:
ASUS DIRECT CU II RADEON HD6970

1st Hard Drive:
120GB Corsair Force 3 Solid State Drive

2nd Hard Drive:
2000GB IntelliPower Hard Disk

1st Optical Drive:
Samsung Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive

2nd Optical Drive:
Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive

Power Supply:
Corsair TX 750W PSU

Sound Card:
Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Just for personal preference and the fact that a 24" monitor should be a better native fit for movies I would go for that. There is a little more to it such as I would expect the 24" model to have smaller actual pixels which means you can get closer to it without being able to notice the pixels themselves.
Sitting to close to a large screen monitor is a mistake a lot of people make, you can end up loosing a lot of perceived picture quality by doing so. There are recommended viewing distances on line.
As I said most people sit too close and that would be for a smaller screen.
The fact that people are to close is usually a space issue and with a PC its not really practical to sit much more than about 3ft away. If you check the viewing distance on line you will find a 27" screen ideally wants you a bit further away than that as does a 24" screen.

Also as far as the build goes i would say you want to ditch the case and get a decent gaming case. I have a Cooler Master Elite 430 Case upstairs and I would call it a midrange case at best. I'm not even sure a 6970 will fit in it. I do know the cooling wont be up to the job though.

Mactronix :)

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi mactronix

Thanks for your reply

I was thinking the same thing its just the package is £1400 and if I drop down to the 24 inch monitor it only reduces the cost by £25 :??:

I appreciate your comments and the 24" screen im sure will be far better for gaming and sitting in front of the screen but a 27" sure would look awesome!!! it would be a monster :D

They told me that all the hardware will fit in the 430 case if not i guess they will have to upgrade it at no extra cost due to their quote :sol:

In regards to teh cooling i will also be including an additional 2 blue led case fans

I went and had a measure and it will fit...Just. the power cables are on top of the card so that helps.
The PSU is top mounted also which is not ideal.
Its going to be snug in there that's for sure.

These things are priced like that on purpose. Where are you getting it from if i may ask ? and have you shopped around well enough do you think ?

Mactronix :)