Sign in with
Your question

Can you mismatch the memory brand?

Last response: in Memory
January 24, 2013 11:33:45 AM

Hey guys. I'm upgrading to a new mobo, and it comes with some free G Skill Ram 1600 8GBx1. The RAM I have now is 2 sticks of 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600. WHen I get my new MOBO, will I be able to put them together?

More about : mismatch memory brand

a c 128 } Memory
January 24, 2013 12:26:29 PM

Maybe not; I suggest you buy another gskill 8 gb stick and sell your 4 gb crucial ballistix. It's hit or miss when mixing ram; you'll just have to try it.
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:22:36 PM

I wouldn't. It's best to have memory with the exact same specs.
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2013 5:22:55 PM

ndslite said:
Hey guys. I'm upgrading to a new mobo, and it comes with some free G Skill Ram 1600 8GBx1. The RAM I have now is 2 sticks of 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600. WHen I get my new MOBO, will I be able to put them together?

Hey ndslite.

In modern motherboards, you always want to install ram in pairs. Each pair must be identical sticks, but the 2 pairs of identical sticks do not have to match. It is always better that they do match. Your motherboard will try to clock all the ram at whatever the slowest speed and latency of any stick it finds. Sometimes ram is just not compatible with a given board.

It sounds like the free G. Skill is just a single stick. You need 2 and they need to be identical.
This has to do with ram channels with dual channel being common and much faster than putting odd ram combinations that will only run in single channel. I assume that you do not have a more exotic triple or quad channel motherboard.

Without specifics on what motherboard model, and what ram models and specs you have I cannot comment further.

Newf.

m
l
January 24, 2013 6:24:19 PM

You do not NEED to have two identical pairs but if you do not, the motherboard will not run the ram in dual channel mode causing a performance hit.

Matching size/freq/voltage is much more important than matching brand.
m
l
January 24, 2013 7:52:35 PM

Okay thanks guys.
m
l
!