Sign in with
Your question

Question about low voltage RAM!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 24, 2013 12:01:33 PM

I built a PC in May and have had zero issues with it but I do have a question. Thinking about saving some energy, the RAM I chose was low voltage (1.35V) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). The other relative components were an ASUS P877Z-M PRO motherboard and the Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3570K CPU. Googling the components I don't come up with any definite answer as to whether these parts can actually allow the RAM to function at the lower voltage. What do you experts think? Thank you!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 12:21:10 PM

Leave the ram voltage alone if it runs well. You won't save any significant amount by lowering it. Use a high efficiency power supply >85% if you want to save $$ or switch to a low end GPU.
m
l
January 24, 2013 5:23:59 PM

o1die said:
Leave the ram voltage alone if it runs well. You won't save any significant amount by lowering it. Use a high efficiency power supply >85% if you want to save $$ or switch to a low end GPU.

Thank you for the reply! I definitely believe in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," so given that I would leave things alone. However, having said that, I'm still curious if my components are low voltage compatible?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 24, 2013 8:06:54 PM

If you really wanted to save energy, you would have gotten a dual core energy saving cpu, but if you are a gamer, you'll want the maximum speed instead of energy saving. The energy saving cpus are locked at a slower speed. I recommend you not use the manual mode in your bios as it disables Intel's speedstep software which automatically saves energy in the long run. Manual mode is required to lower voltage settings, so again, I would leave it alone.
m
l
!