Computer freezes after 5 min in OS

outoflock377

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I have Asus A8n e se motherboard with a dual core athlon 64 and 8600gts. Os installed is windows 7 professional sp1. Today i went into problem. I reseated my vga because it wasnt running at its full bus, so I read that reseating it may fix the problem. But when I did that, computer started to act strange. When it got into os first time, video started to glitch and screen was getting black. So I restarted my machine, went into bios and made everything at their default clocks (my cpu was oced). Now, when I get into os after 5 mins computer just freezes. I cant even move a mouse pointer. Sometimes it shows BSOD. Whats wrong? I tried to reseat my vga again couple times but that didn't worked

as your error has started when you pulled the gpu. I would unplug the system from the wall open the case and check that all the power wires are connected. most times when you pull a gpu you can knock off the cpu heat sink or unplug the cpu fan. also make sure there no real dust in the pc. I would reset the gpu again make sure it clicks and is locked in. also check that all the power cables are plugged in. then turn the pc on make sure the gpu and cpu fan are moving. (also before you power up check that the ram stick are seated). if the system locks and your getting strange stuff on your screen then the gpu may have bit the farm. see if a friend has a spare video card to test with.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
How old is the system, in years of use by you.
The bus, or Pci-e graphics slot is governed by the Bios of the motherboard you have.
So taking the card out did ah heck all basically. since it tells the board what it needs and the board says ok here. I have set you up. But the bios of the board is there for example so you can change the link speed of the Pci-e port if it does not get it right, and has to be set up manually by yourself. that is where it is done, most cases it does get it right.

You may of disturbed the card.

And often what happens is people forget to make sure it is set right back in the slot, or or forget if the card requires extra power to run it. And forget to plug them back in. But your case Sounds more like an aging power supply unit as the cause, if it is old, you see they degrade after a lot of running time and become less stable over long term usage.
As a note is the Pci-e bus speed in the bios set to 100Mhz, because if it`s set over that mark then it will also be the cause of crashing so check it`s right in the bios settings since you did a bit of overclocking, it could be the cause without you knowing.

So it is worth taking a look at it as one of the cause for your problems also.

If it is quiet old. Black screen output from the graphics card, and BSOD messages can be linked to it as said though because you took the card out it may also be a case the heat sink and cooler of the card may be the problem by disturbing it GPU over heating so have a check again just in case, as smorizio is saying.

Anyway just a heads up on some of the things to think about as the causes.

outoflock377

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Thank you for your replies. But now I started to think that it is RAM related, because when I reseated the GPU, I already installed 1 ram card, because it was taken out for test purposes. Now I took it out again and it seems that no stability problems happening.
Funny thing that when I reseated card I forgot to plug a 6 pin connector to it. But after first restart I just got a warning from nvidia control panel, which said that my card wasnt running at its full speed. Now I'm sure everything is plugged alright.

But still I can't make card to run at x16. CPU-Z and GPU-Z shows x8. I did a test in GPU-Z but still, it shows that my card is running at 8x bus width