Help - HD makes weird noises

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
I built a new system recently and all seemed ok, but over the last few days, I've noticed my primary drive (IBM Deskstar 75 GB) makes weird noises sometimes (kind of scraping sound).

Having pulled the machine apart, basically the bios is only seeing the drive on bootup roughly every other time, and ocassionally sees something when polling the IDE controller, but comes up with random letters followed by a "primary hard disk failed" error.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my own question but before I abandon it, can somebody here who knows more than me please confirm that the disk is basically fubared?!! Is there any remote chance that it could be fundamentally ok but need reformatting and scanning, or could this problem be down to something else not being setup correctly on the system?

Thanks as ever for any help.

Jules

G

I would say that your IBM has kicked the bucket! You should have a warranty so I would call IBM and tell them it is making noises and they will replace it for you!

Lars Coleman

G

Use the IBM DFT utility to check for bad sectors. You could try the erase boot sector/low level format on the DFT utility. Then repartition and format the drive. If you're running Win98/ME, make sure you have the IDE Hard Drive cache package update and/or current drivers for any ATA controllers you are running. Check cabling (list your motherboard). If the problem then reoccurs or doesn't go away, I would consider RMAing the drive.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***