Wierd/Strange Error beep: sequence of 4 short 1 long followed by 3 Lng

amanoyuuji

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
My system unit is working fine until i left home for a 5 days vacation. When I got back and booted it up, I ended up hearing this strange error beep. Been researching on error beep codes and found non like it. Sigh I'm getting desperate. Can anyone help me distinguish what might be causing this or what does it mean.

Here is a recorded sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrJ3mAHDpWg

Thanks,

Yuuji

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Does it post or it will just keep cycling through the error beeps? It sounds like more than 1 issue is happening. The short beeps for a memory error and not knowing what your motherboard is I'd guess the long beeps are for something else.

When you left did you leave your computer on for 5 days? There could have been a power short or psu dying to overload the board or the power supply is blown. Or the psu died for some reason. I'd check that first if you have another psu around to see if you can start up with a different one or if you have a means of checking the voltages.

Another suggestion is to boot with one stick of RAM at a time and see if one of your RAM sticks died.

If you have your motherboard's manual and beep codes that could help as well, but I think you are dealing with 2 errors not just one.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
I think you are hearing 5 short beeps usually associated with a bios recovery. The next one may associate with memory. So first remove the bios backup battery, it may be almost dead so get a new one. Unplug the computer from the wall power. Let it sit for about 10 min. and plug back in. See if it boots and lets you get into the bios. If you can set everything to default or automatic values. See if it will boot to windows. Put the battery (new) back in.

amanoyuuji

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks crewton for the input.

It does not post, after the sequence, it just stays that way. I should have known it's more than one issue, just wanted to make sure.

I'm Using an Intel DG33FB, yeah it's archaic XD, I'm about to buy a new one, just wanted this one to keep running for work until I do buy one and pass it onto my mom.

No I made sure I turned it off. I will try the PSU switching thanks :)

One stick at a time got it thanks.

I'll try to find the manual in heaps of boxes. Thanks for all your input crewton, really appreciate it.

amanoyuuji

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks DogSnake, I will definitely try this one.

Thanks to all who have replied... I'm grateful :)