Integrated graphics card question.

Hello,
I'm not exactly a computer geek, but I want to know weather or not, if I buy a PC with a integrated GPU, can I put in a after market, dedicated GPU? thanks guys!
4 answers Last reply
More about integrated graphics card question
  1. Yes, in most cases you can add a gpu to a board with integrated video.
  2. Thanks for the reply! But by "Most Cases" Do you mean with older hardware? or something similar?
  3. Generally speaking, almost any computer buy will allow you to install a discrete video card. However, there may be some budget computers that do not have a PCI-e slot (not to be confused with a PCI slot from the 1990's) in order to save on costs. So make sure you check that there is a PCI-e 2.0 slot in the specs before purchasing. It might be listed as PCI-e x16 2.0.

Also check how much power the power supply (PSU) can provide. You generally want something with at least 350w so that you can install a somewhat decent video card like the Radeon HD 6670. If you intend on installing a more powerful video card then you should consider a PC with at least a 500w PSU.
  4. jaguarskx said:
    Generally speaking, almost any computer buy will allow you to install a discrete video card. However, there may be some budget computers that do not have a PCI-e slot (not to be confused with a PCI slot from the 1990's) in order to save on costs. So make sure you check that there is a PCI-e 2.0 slot in the specs before purchasing. It might be listed as PCI-e x16 2.0.

Also check how much power the power supply (PSU) can provide. You generally want something with at least 350w so that you can install a somewhat decent video card like the Radeon HD 6670. If you intend on installing a more powerful video card then you should consider a PC with at least a 500w PSU.

Thanks very much!
    A big help! I'm more than certain it has a PCI-i 2.0 slot, its a pretty brand new computer, 2010 I think, and for Power, I'm sure I've got the right amount, its running on a 650w! :D

Once again, thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Computer Graphics