Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2011 3:38:08 PM

Hello,
I'm not exactly a computer geek, but I want to know weather or not, if I buy a PC with a integrated GPU, can I put in a after market, dedicated GPU? thanks guys!

More about : integrated graphics card question

October 17, 2011 3:48:09 PM

Yes, in most cases you can add a gpu to a board with integrated video.
October 17, 2011 3:50:54 PM

Thanks for the reply! But by "Most Cases" Do you mean with older hardware? or something similar?
Related resources
a c 365 U Graphics card
October 17, 2011 7:12:15 PM

Generally speaking, almost any computer buy will allow you to install a discrete video card. However, there may be some budget computers that do not have a PCI-e slot (not to be confused with a PCI slot from the 1990's) in order to save on costs. So make sure you check that there is a PCI-e 2.0 slot in the specs before purchasing. It might be listed as PCI-e x16 2.0.

Also check how much power the power supply (PSU) can provide. You generally want something with at least 350w so that you can install a somewhat decent video card like the Radeon HD 6670. If you intend on installing a more powerful video card then you should consider a PC with at least a 500w PSU.
October 18, 2011 6:29:20 AM

jaguarskx said:
Generally speaking, almost any computer buy will allow you to install a discrete video card. However, there may be some budget computers that do not have a PCI-e slot (not to be confused with a PCI slot from the 1990's) in order to save on costs. So make sure you check that there is a PCI-e 2.0 slot in the specs before purchasing. It might be listed as PCI-e x16 2.0.

Also check how much power the power supply (PSU) can provide. You generally want something with at least 350w so that you can install a somewhat decent video card like the Radeon HD 6670. If you intend on installing a more powerful video card then you should consider a PC with at least a 500w PSU.

Thanks very much!
A big help! I'm more than certain it has a PCI-i 2.0 slot, its a pretty brand new computer, 2010 I think, and for Power, I'm sure I've got the right amount, its running on a 650w! :D 

Once again, thank you!
!