Sign in with
Your question

Paint Job

Last response: in Components
March 18, 2012 10:04:15 PM

I'm looking at cases for my watercooling build I'm thinking about doing if I can get some companies involved should be good! Now I'm looking at various cases and there are some parts I would like white. Since this is the theme of the build either blue or white or black and white. So thinks like HDD mounts and small things like that could I just buy a can of good quality white spray paint and start going for it?

As you can see I clearly need some help! if you have any suggestions on paint or tips and tricks. Let me know!

Will be doing a build log if it all goes through (YouTube and on the Forum!)

Cain.

More about : paint job

March 19, 2012 6:46:39 AM

Anybody? Somebody must know something?
a b ) Power supply
March 19, 2012 6:52:30 AM

well no worries i already informed nikorr you will find some help soon.
Related resources
March 19, 2012 12:38:48 PM

If this is a watercooling build, do you want me to move it to the watercooling forum? (Sounds like it would to me, but just asking you).

You could use spray paint, or depending on budget, you might consider getting parts prepped and get baked on enamel done. Or you can go the route of prep and air-brushing them. I guess this really depends on the level of professionalism you are looking for. PM me if you want this moved, etc.
March 19, 2012 12:56:49 PM

rubix_1011 said:
If this is a watercooling build, do you want me to move it to the watercooling forum? (Sounds like it would to me, but just asking you).

You could use spray paint, or depending on budget, you might consider getting parts prepped and get baked on enamel done. Or you can go the route of prep and air-brushing them. I guess this really depends on the level of professionalism you are looking for. PM me if you want this moved, etc.

I was only stating that it will be watercooling and I want to make a project out of it. I don't want to take it to a shop since I'm sure that would be to expensive. I not sure what I'm looking for though. I was browsing amazon for some white spray paint but so much came up. I just needed help picking.
March 19, 2012 1:17:37 PM

i just used basic heat resistant BBQ and stove paint, it was regular cans though and not very shiny/smooth, maybe think of clear coting afterwards if you use regular spray paint. also dont pai t when its below 40 degrees f, the paint drys in a lighter shade for some reason lol(my side panel is lighter shade than the rest, which i did in 60-70 degree weather.)
March 19, 2012 1:20:06 PM

mildgamer001 said:
i just used basic heat resistant BBQ and stove paint, it was regular cans though and not very shiny/smooth, maybe think of clear coting afterwards if you use regular spray paint. also dont pai t when its below 40 degrees f, the paint drys in a lighter shade for some reason lol(my side panel is lighter shade than the rest, which i did in 60-70 degree weather.)

I live in england so weather is all over the place lol. I will paint it in the shed anyway where it's cooler and more consistent. I don't want to use a can of paint and a brush it would leave brush marks lol?
March 19, 2012 1:38:45 PM

no spray paint and plus using a brush is an interesting idea, like, a very fine brush with metalic silver paint and if you do nice strait strokes, brushed aluminum on the cheap :p  but no i was talking spray paint. also make sure you have good stuff, some cans suck and when they get low they make very inconsistant spray. and dont spray paint in a shed unless you have like, windows and some old box fans that you dont care about getting paint on, and dont have any aiming towards you, wind sucks for spraypaint lol (my hand is speckled with black paint at the moment) but yea you might just want to wait for a nice sunny day and do it then, cold sheds arent really ideal for spray paint. and do it all at once lol, doing half the paint in one setting and conditions then doing the rest in different condidtions with temp and weather will make the paint inconsistant.
a b ) Power supply
March 19, 2012 1:40:02 PM

you can get a good paint job with spray paint and sand paper, if you spend enough time on it.

The trick to making large surfaces look even is to sand the surface so it is very clean, lots of very light coats, and when it is fully dried and hard "wet sand it" That is get the sand paper that works with water.
Then do the final coat.

As for small brackets and screws again just clean them with a wirebrush, or sand paper, or steel wool, and paint them. Spray Painting screws and such will not work because spray paint is softer then a baked on enamel or powder coat or the such. The screws will mar when you try to install them.

You can also look at a "hammer tone" finish style paint. Its hard to mess up with that stuff because it has its own texture.
a b ) Power supply
March 19, 2012 1:52:05 PM

Spraypaint can look like crap, or look very nice depending largely on your prep work, as well as the quality of paint.
1) talk with people at your local hardware or paint supply store, dont tell them what you are doning as I have found the word 'computer' scares them. but they will need to know what materials you are painting to (types of metal, and types of plastic)
2) Paint is 80% prep work, and 100% paint quality, so be sure to prep your surfaces, and work in a low-humidity low-dust enviornment if possible, and then get quality paint that has the desired finish you want.
3) Get some scrap metal and plastic to practice on. I use to do painting with an appoxy style paint and there was a huge difference of quality from my first few weeks to a few months into the job. There are tricks to getting nice even coats of paint, and it does take practice.
March 19, 2012 1:53:29 PM

Well the case is already going to be white hopefully. So it will just be some of the mesh. But no 100% on the case so I might need to paint it all. Any ideas on the type of spray I need to use? Such as a link. Or one that you found the best.
!