Sign in with
Your question

How to connect a mini buzzer to pc speaker out?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Speakers
  • Connection
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 18, 2012 10:46:34 PM

So I've been having trouble with my motherboard, and the ASUS support instructed me to go to Radio Shack and buy little case speaker to diagnose my issues. I bought a mini buzzer - the exact one pictured here. As you can see, there are only two wires coming from the buzzer, a red one and a black one. On my motherboard, there are obviously 4 pins for the speaker - one that says Speaker, 2 grounds, and a +5v. I know that I need to connect the two wires to the +5v and the Speaker.

I have tried making little insulated connections by wrapping the ends in electrical tape to make cylinders, and sliding them over the pins so that I have a connection, wire-to-pin. However, my computer produces no beeps when I start it up when I do this.

Am I doing this wrong? Will this mini buzzer even work for this? The guy at Radio Shack and the ASUS 3rd-level tech support guy thought so as well, but I cannot get it to do anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : connect mini buzzer speaker

a c 1218 ) Power supply
a c 224 V Motherboard
March 19, 2012 3:21:04 AM

Connect the red wire to Speaker and the black wire to one of the Grounds.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2012 5:31:34 PM

At first glance I would have agreed with ko888, but then I remembered that the standard Speaker connector in a case (on the ends of the wires coming from the little "speaker" inside the front panel) is made to fit over FOUR pins on the mobo's System Panel connector, and the wiring always is to the two END pins. Those are the ones labelled Speaker and +5V. Checking on the web indicates that is exactly right. The speaker is supposed to be connected to the +5V pin and the Speaker pin. Apparently the mobo circuit involved accomplishes its work (which is mainly applying a square wave current flow through the speaker) by controlling the flow of current to Ground from the Speaker pin. So OP had it right.

Polarity? I think it does not matter, but the "correct" way may be to put Red to +5V and Black to Speaker.

OP, maybe your connection system just wasn't good enough. You might try using tiny alligator clips, but I know the spacing is tiny, and you certainly don't want to short the +5V to the Ground beside it. Maybe actually lightly solder the speaker's wires to the two required pins. Make SURE your machine is off and completely disconnected from power and grounds, etc - isolated totally - before doing this.

You might also check carefully in BIOS Setup - is there any place where the internal speaker can be shut off? If so, make sure it is Enabled.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1218 ) Power supply
a c 224 V Motherboard
March 19, 2012 6:10:11 PM

I wonder why is the OP using a +12V buzzer and not a proper speaker?

ASUS told them to buy a case speaker.

Trying to drive a +12V buzzer from a speaker output that can't put out any more than 5 Volts is futile.

All that's needed is one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mini-Onboard-Speaker/...
m
l
March 19, 2012 6:57:17 PM

Thanks for the answers, guys.

I hope the problem is just that I'm not getting a good enough connection. I'll pursue that avenue.

I already ordered one of those speakers, ko. But the ASUS fellow told me any of the buzzers at Radio Shack would work.

And I would love to be able to adjust the BIOS, but the computer won't boot at all.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 2:01:40 AM

ko888 is quite right about the type of buzzer. I completely missed the fact that you bought one designed for 12 VDC, but are trying to get it to work on 5 VDC. I would NOT expect that to give you sound. Obviously the Tech Support guys didn't think clearly when they told you "any buzzer ..." would work!

So you can't even get into BIOS because it does not get through the POST. Now I see why they said having a "speaker" to hear any beep codes would help - maybe. Did they tell you what the beep codes are for that mobo, or are you just planning to report the code you get to Tech Support for further guidance? I presume they have guided you enough to have eliminated some potential causes of this dilemma, like a failed PSU, and the beep codes are the next piece of info required. You MAY have a bad mobo, but there certainly are other potential causes to check first. Good luck, and keep us posted on what develops.
m
l
!