Sign in with
Your question

Research and Development - OC Rig

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2011 2:03:18 PM

Hey all,

First time poster on forums so if I violate protocols, take it easy on me...

I'm in the process of my 3rd rig rebuild in 12 years to bring it up to spec for my video editing and gaming interests. I will also be OCing my system for the first time ever and really stoked about it!

As I always try to do, I've researched extensively on the components I'll be getting. In this post, I'd like to share some FYIs that I've come across for the benefit of others who might be following a similar path that I did, and I also have a couple of questions I'd love some feedback on.

Hopefully my current system specs will add on to the end of the post, if not, I'll add in a second post.

Firstly, these are the components I'll be purchasing: Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD, Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid Tower Case, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, Corsair Vengeance K60 Keyboard, Corsair Vengeance M60 5700dpi Mouse. (Yup, Corsair's got some great stuff out there!)

Here are some key points that have come up in my research that I want to share to "pay it forward" (thanks to all forum users who so freely give out great, valuable information!):

FYI
1. When shopping for SSDs, find out what SATA controller chipsets your mobo runs. SATA II 6.0Gbps does not equal 550/500 R/W speeds in pretty much all situations. My P7P55D-E Pro uses the Marvell controller; most SATA II 6.0Gbps SSDs are benchmarked, and run on Sandforce controller chipsets. I've already coughed up the 5% restocking fee for a recently purchased SATA II 6.0 SSD that actually ran slower than my dinky Kingston SSD running off the Intel controller chipset on my mobo.

2. If you're thinking about the Noctua NH-D14, you'll have to be extra careful about DIMM clearance. I really want the NH-D14 and am looking at modding (either dremel or actual removal) the heat spreaders above my Corsair Vengeance RAM so that the cooler will fit.

3. Although I'm not considering a video card quite yet, my research has shown that yes, there is a difference between, let's say NVidia's Quadro series, designed to favour OpenGL operations for graphics-heavy processing such as 3-D rendering and encoding, versus the gaming-oriented GPUs engineered to favour fps performance required for games.

Questions
1. I have not been able to conclusively determine if the removal/modding of my Vengeance heat spreaders will adversely affect their performance. Comments?

2. Is it possible to have both a Quadro series and, let's say a Radeon HD 5770, mounted on my mobo and switch between the two of them "on-the-fly" so that depending if I'm gaming or working, I can get the best performance?

Thanks!

December 13, 2011 2:06:01 PM

Oh snap.

My specs didn't get added on at the end of my post, so I guess that's my third question: how do I get that happening?

Here's what I currently have:
Unknown but damn snappy case
Thermaltake TR2 500W
Acer X233H / Acer AL1706
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Pentium i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz
Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4Gb
ATI Radeon HD 4600 series
Western Digital 120G 1200rpm HDD
Kingston 64G SSD
IOmega 1T USB 3.0 External Drive
Windows 7 Home Ultimate SP1
December 13, 2011 3:23:26 PM

1. Either you cut the heat spreader fins shorter to accommodate the Noctua, not remove them completely off the RAM. Or...buy Corsair H80 or H100 cooling setup then you don't have to worry about detrimental effect of taking off the heat spreader. I recommend this way...safer and peace of mind.

2. Not really sure about this..but don't think the video drivers will be able to switch on-the-fly like you wanted, on one system.
Related resources
December 13, 2011 3:50:00 PM

kong911 said:
1. Either you cut the heat spreader fins shorter to accommodate the Noctua, not remove them completely off the RAM. Or...buy Corsair H80 or H100 cooling setup then you don't have to worry about detrimental effect of taking off the heat spreader. I recommend this way...safer and peace of mind.

2. Not really sure about this..but don't think the video drivers will be able to switch on-the-fly like you wanted, on one system.

Thanks, kong911.

Staying away from water cooling for now (water and electronics still seems counter-intuitive for me...) but the H80 was on my radar.
December 13, 2011 10:23:06 PM

Testing specs sig ...

:hello: 
December 25, 2011 2:16:30 AM

Sooo...

Got the Corsair Obsidian 650D and the Noctua NH-D14. Decided to remove the heat spreaders on my RAM to accommodate the HSF.

Here's a close-up of the HSF and RAM; impossible to install it without voiding my RAM warranty. Limited my RAM OC options as well, but I'm pleased with the result. Core temps running 20 degrees cooler.

As far as the video card dream goes, it's a no-go.

Looks like I'm building two rigs: one for gaming. one for editing.

Oh, and happy holidays to everyone!
!