What do i need to buy next for a 4 year old computer?

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
hi i have a question about what i need to get next. i play games and i come from console . i just switched to pc games not too long ago but i bought my brothers computer and its a bit dated. specs are phenom x4 9950 oc to 2.9 ghz, 2.5 g ddr2 ram, just bought an hd 6850 graphics card.

so my question is what should i buy next? my processor is still good and i dont think ill need to upgrade that for a bit. im thinking that my ram is really holding me back. i get ok framerate in bf3. around 30 - 40 medium settings on my current hd 4850 graphics card(as stated i just ordered a sapphire hd 6850.
i also get hung up alot just using the computer. thats my reasoning for getting more ram.

Any thoughts?

loneninja

Distinguished

Performance difference on a Phenom II 3 years ago wasn't much, but there are faster memory controllers now that would effect performance more. In any case there is a HUGE price difference with DDR2 being more expensive, 8Gb DDR3 is cheaper than 4Gb DDR2 last time I checked prices. I personally wouldn't invest money into any DDR2 RAM.

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
like right now im playing BF3 and its running decently. when i exit the game the computer is just slow as hell for a few minutes. then after 5 mins its as snappy as my new i5 4 gig ddr3 laptop. again im not a performance whore. i just want to know whats the best to buy for under 100 dollars that will get me the best performance gains. when i graduate in 2 months ill get alot of money but i wont spend much on that for my computer.

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

see my issue is if i get ddr3 i will need a new mobo plus cpu. and i can get a great amd upgrade for 350 from newegg but i have not even close to that. still in highschool. i know i will need a better cpu eventually but its a quad core at 2.9. its still very good.

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

will an ssd help with getting hung up after a game exit? i also forgot to mention playing BF3 i get hung up. i figure because i have way less than required ram. is that the problem? i know all the upgrades i need to get in the future when more money comes but as of now i just need something to get me by till then. i dont even really need ddr3 and amazing processer because aside from bf3 i can play every game i can think of amazingly. skyrim is a constant 60 fps

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

keep in mind i have 4 year old biostar mobo. i dont even think i can connect an ssd to it

I think amuffin thought you were talking about the newer Phenom II x4 955. The 9950 is a fairly anemic CPU that was never recommended, mostly because it doesn't OC much.

I do think you should upgrade the CPU if possible. You haven't listed your MB yet. An Athlon II or even a used Phenom II would be a nice upgrade.

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

how can that be when my new laptop that has a 5400 rpm 500 gig laptop and i have a 1 tb 5400 rpm hard drive on my gaming desktop. and my laptop is much faster

Onlyusemeisaac

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

It's the processor thats making the difference there.

I absolutely have no experience with the previous gen of cpu's, then again I have only started looking at this stuff for roughly 7 months so I haven't really looked back, well at least on amd's side.. So I assume there is nearly 0 oc capability on 1st gen phenom?

They ran kinda hot I think. We had the Wolfdales about the same time and so Intel got all the nods, until the Phenom II's came out. THOSE were great value at the time. even an old used Phenom II x3 720BE would be a nice upgrade, if it's possible to still find one.

TRENDING THREADS