Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best Mobo for i5 2500k less than $150

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 13, 2011 3:14:31 PM

Hey all,

Title says it all. I'm looking for a quality mobo for my new i5 2500k. I will be overclocking and plan on adding a 2nd 6950 to the mix in the future when I need the performance bump.

Any and all input is appreciated.

I still need to get a solid PSU but haven't been able to find any stellar deals. Any suggestions?

More about : mobo 2500k 150

Related resources
December 13, 2011 3:42:33 PM

seems as tho there aren't any stand out mobo's with a ton of blazing good reviews.
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2011 4:17:33 PM

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $124.99 less $10 mail in rebate=$114.99 free shipping. Does SLI and x-fire. Take DDR3 1600 RAM.
I'll give it a good review, I have one w/ an I5 2500K
December 13, 2011 5:40:38 PM

Frys has the Asus p8p67 EVO and Pro versions for $150 sometimes...newegg might have a deal on them too for the same price. MIcrocenter...or mafiacenter (because of how cheap they sell some stuff...lol) also has such boards for less then $150 with bundle purchases.

Asrock p67 Extreme 4 is a solid board too. Those Z68s are going to be more expensive..so don't get them if you don't need that SSD caching and intel graphics. P67 and Z68 performance 100% identically..go check reviews online.
December 13, 2011 5:41:51 PM

newegg currently has the Corsair HX 850W for $140...I know its still overpriced but you said solid PSU..and nothing is better than Corsair in the PSU world...even Seasonic is best at par...not better.
December 13, 2011 11:50:50 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $124.99 less $10 mail in rebate=$114.99 free shipping. Does SLI and x-fire. Take DDR3 1600 RAM.
I'll give it a good review, I have one w/ an I5 2500K


went with this recommendation. Sounds like a good board for the price, lets hope it turns out that way!

now for the psu, the last piece of the puzzle
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2011 12:27:09 AM

dharmenparikh said:
newegg currently has the Corsair HX 850W for $140...I know its still overpriced but you said solid PSU..and nothing is better than Corsair in the PSU world...even Seasonic is best at par...not better.

You do know the corsair hx series are seasonics right? As well as the txv2 series and the ax series.

For low price options, here are my suggestions. These will handle OC+CF.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Antec HCG-750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Enermax-750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Corsair txv2-750

Saving money now for a 500w is wasting money if you are going to cf.
December 14, 2011 12:22:44 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $124.99 less $10 mail in rebate=$114.99 free shipping. Does SLI and x-fire. Take DDR3 1600 RAM.
I'll give it a good review, I have one w/ an I5 2500K


Is there an IDE connector on this board? I have an older CD drive I want to use that is ide. I didnt see one in the specs and I want to verify either way.
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2011 4:04:10 PM

No it does not have ide and newegg is only coming up with 2 mobos that support cf with ide. The cheapest is $180 so it's cheaper to buy a cd drive as it's only $20. My new sb rig doesn't even have a cd drive.
December 14, 2011 4:16:54 PM

k1114 said:
No it does not have ide and newegg is only coming up with 2 mobos that support cf with ide. The cheapest is $180 so it's cheaper to buy a cd drive as it's only $20. My new sb rig doesn't even have a cd drive.


Yeah I figured as much. The only reason I need the cd drive is to install Windows, so Im just going to borrow a drive from another pc to do the install.

now to get a psu and SDD
December 14, 2011 4:43:51 PM

If u have micro center close by you can get better mobo. Are you planning on sli or cf??
December 14, 2011 7:49:06 PM

madchemist83 said:
If u have micro center close by you can get better mobo. Are you planning on sli or cf??


Microcenter is close by. I plan on adding a second card in a year or two when i need the performance boost.

what board do they have there youre suggesting? I still have some time to cancel the mobo order but not much.
December 14, 2011 10:35:10 PM

Asus p8z68-v pro/gen 3
December 14, 2011 11:53:10 PM

madchemist83 said:
Asus p8z68-v pro/gen 3


microcenter has that listed for 219.99, well above my 150 limit. thanks tho
December 15, 2011 2:49:54 AM

yeah but if u get it together with 2500k it's $50 off .. I guess u already have cpu ..so then go with gigabyte
!