Is 60 degrees good for i5 760

SUPERRICK

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
HI all ,
I am a bit stumped on my ram setting in my bios as it seems to be over pushin my cpu temps to silly temps as I`m not even overclocked on the CPU! I have seen people with 4ghz at my temps at stock level!!
My setup is an
I5 760 and a
Gigabyte P55-ud3 m/board ,
4 gb of ddr3 1600 xms3 ram 9 9 9 24 .
2 gb 4890 sapphire
Seagate hd 500gb 32mb cache 7200.11 barracuda
Artic freezer pro rev2

The cpu isint overclocked however to get the ram at the right speed I use the xmp profile in the bios and my temps rocket , however if i use default settings of 1333mhz and no xmp pro my cpu temps are alot lower!

with xmp prof no overclock cpu 65 degrees
no xmp prof ram is 45 ish degrees

ANY ideas!!!

do i need to resit the cooler again and myb using artic paste??

bzzkff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I'm not familiar with xmp profiles however 60 degrees seems a little toasty for idle temperatures. It would also help if you gave the ambient room temperature as well when you get these readings.

My i5 was running a little hot too (idling in the 62-69 range at ambient 22 Celsius) and after reading many forums, I took apart the CPU heatsink, cleaned all the dust that had accumulated in the fins, cleaned the chip and heatsink with alcohol, and reapplied some cheap thermal paste that came with my mobo. My idle temps now range between 37 - 51 degrees. And that's with a poorly cooled case.

Having said that, 60ish ranges are still considered to be OK, albeit not ideal, especially if you're not going to be overclocking.

This is one of the best thermal paste application analyses I have read:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1

Good luck!