A couple of years ago when my PC was new my brainiac daughter did the setup.
Hence the family all have stupid names. I have managed to change the names
on the User Accounts, but cannot change them in Documents and Settings as I
get the following message: "xxx is a Windows system folder and is required
for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed." Does anyone
know how to change this please.

Jacqui wrote:
> A couple of years ago when my PC was new my brainiac daughter did the
> setup. Hence the family all have stupid names. I have managed to
> change the names on the User Accounts, but cannot change them in
> Documents and Settings as I get the following message: "xxx is a
> Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly.
> It cannot be moved or renamed." Does anyone know how to change this
> please.

This cannot be done. The only way these files can be changed is to create a
new user account with the name you wish to use, log on one time with this
new account to create the necessary files, Take Ownership of the old,
unwanted account files and then copy the old users files and settings to the
newly created account. The taking ownership and copying the files and
settings to the new account must be done using a third administrator
account. The following articles show the step by step guidelines.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811151

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Thanks - have been looking at similar queries on this site and found that was
what I needed to do. Thing is I have created new accounts but they do not
show up in Documents and Settings. Is this a case of logging off and
starting again for it to activate??

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Jacqui wrote:
> > A couple of years ago when my PC was new my brainiac daughter did the
> > setup. Hence the family all have stupid names. I have managed to
> > change the names on the User Accounts, but cannot change them in
> > Documents and Settings as I get the following message: "xxx is a
> > Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly.
> > It cannot be moved or renamed." Does anyone know how to change this
> > please.
>
> This cannot be done. The only way these files can be changed is to create a
> new user account with the name you wish to use, log on one time with this
> new account to create the necessary files, Take Ownership of the old,
> unwanted account files and then copy the old users files and settings to the
> newly created account. The taking ownership and copying the files and
> settings to the new account must be done using a third administrator
> account. The following articles show the step by step guidelines.
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811151
>
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Sorry I am an idiot - I need to log in as the new account don't I? I'll give
that a go

Thanks for your help

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Jacqui wrote:
> > A couple of years ago when my PC was new my brainiac daughter did the
> > setup. Hence the family all have stupid names. I have managed to
> > change the names on the User Accounts, but cannot change them in
> > Documents and Settings as I get the following message: "xxx is a
> > Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly.
> > It cannot be moved or renamed." Does anyone know how to change this
> > please.
>
> This cannot be done. The only way these files can be changed is to create a
> new user account with the name you wish to use, log on one time with this
> new account to create the necessary files, Take Ownership of the old,
> unwanted account files and then copy the old users files and settings to the
> newly created account. The taking ownership and copying the files and
> settings to the new account must be done using a third administrator
> account. The following articles show the step by step guidelines.
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811151
>
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Go for Control panel - User accauts. There is place for
changing accaunts. Be awere that all users shuld be
informed about change :)

jeff

Jacqui,

When you create a new account, it will not show up
in "Documents and Settings" untill you log on with that
new account. Windows will not make the folder till the
user logs on. You will notice a short lag in logging in
the first time on the new account, because its making the
new folders and related links to that folder.

Jeff

jeff

Hi again,

On a side note, it might be possible to change the
Documents and settings folder names, but it would require
a lot of registry setting changes. I haven`t tried it
myself yet, but it might work. I would need verification
from and of the MVP`s though. But I wouldn`t recommend
fiddling with the registry, one mistake and you could be
forced to reinstall the OS.

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On a side note, it might be possible to change the
> Documents and settings folder names, but it would require
> a lot of registry setting changes. I haven`t tried it
> myself yet, but it might work. I would need verification
> from and of the MVP`s though. But I wouldn`t recommend
> fiddling with the registry, one mistake and you could be
> forced to reinstall the OS.

It's really not woth the effort and, as you surmised, full of pitfalls that
could render the system unbootable.
--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

Thanks everybody - I have it sorted now. First I had a problem because I
couldn't see the accounts being created, but when I logged in they were
there. I have successfully transferred all the data and deleted the old
accounts with the silly names. Why am I able to delete them now but was
unable to even change the names of them earlier?
Also, when I set up the email accounts I changed from Outlook express 6 to
Microsoft Outlook 2000 - have transferred emails okay and folders, but rthe
wizard is not working for the address book. As a stop gap I have saved the
address book onto the desk top - I may have to manually input
................unless anyone can help.

"Peca" wrote:

> Go for Control panel - User accauts. There is place for
> changing accaunts. Be awere that all users shuld be
> informed about change :)

jeff

Thanks Ronnie,

Wasn`t sure if it was plausible, unfortunately, lately I
have been forced to do a lot of editing in the registry
where I work at, fortunately, I have gotten more
knowlegable in doing that. Haven`t crashed a system yet.

Jeff

Jacqui wrote:
> Thanks everybody - I have it sorted now. First I had a problem
> because I couldn't see the accounts being created, but when I logged
> in they were there. I have successfully transferred all the data and
> deleted the old accounts with the silly names. Why am I able to
> delete them now but was unable to even change the names of them
> earlier?
> Also, when I set up the email accounts I changed from Outlook express
> 6 to Microsoft Outlook 2000 - have transferred emails okay and
> folders, but rthe wizard is not working for the address book. As a
> stop gap I have saved the address book onto the desk top - I may have

Glad you got this sorted. You might want to post the problem with the
address book in one of the Outlook newsgroups.
--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

Jeff wrote:
> Thanks Ronnie,
>
> Wasn`t sure if it was plausible, unfortunately, lately I
> have been forced to do a lot of editing in the registry
> where I work at, fortunately, I have gotten more
> knowlegable in doing that. Haven`t crashed a system yet.
>
> Jeff

YW, Jeff.

Editing the registry can be a daunting task, but safe enough as long as you
back the key up, before making the change.
--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP