First Time builder MMO/RTS Player $1000 Budget

rockbush

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: XMAS - Mid January
Budget Range: 1000 after rebates hopefully.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (LOL and WOW for now, D3), stream 1080p videos, blah blah

Parts Not Required: speakers, monitor (Samsung SyncMaster AS300 running 1920x1080, willing to accept recommendations), I could yank out the old HDD from an old desktop, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: i have no preference really, only been browsing around newegg and amazon

Parts Preferences: not really, I just want to this computer to last awhile before another upgrade. I do like running everything on ultra max settings o_O

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / Maybe - not right away, in the future probably yes.

Thanks in advance! Do I need SSD?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.44 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($277.19 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.60 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3LT DVD/CD Writer ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($46.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1014.14

rvilkman

Distinguished
Looks like a solid build.

Maybe a 750W PSU if you intend to unlock / OC the 6950 to 6970 and then crossfire.
Otherwise I think it's just fine.

As for the question about the SSD. No you don't need it, but it would make the system feel more responsive.
So if you have the extra $170-220 to spend on a 120GB+ model, go for it.
Samsung 830, OCZ Vertex 3, Crucial M4

cirdecus

Distinguished
Looks solid. I've been building systems as an enthusiast for 15 years. I'm also a WOW gamer :)

Here's my thoughts:

CPU: Solid choice and good price

Cooler: Save 30 bucks, use the stock cooler. You can still overclock greatly.

Mobo: You can save money and get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729
It's a better board and will allow you to get a smaller case. Backpanel USB 3.0 and SATA III.

Memory: Looks good.

VIDEO: Not bad, you'll have another slot free for crossfire later when you need the horsepower

Case: no way. One of the secrets of high-end PC building is an aluminum case. I would use the ASUS mATX board and pickup a better quality, aluminum mATX case like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112316

It's a great aluminum case that will keep your components 100x cooler than your steel and plastic heavy box. It's also very lightweight. If you want something more fancy, then just keep checking out more of the Lian Li cases.

Power supply: Looks ok. You'll probably be searching for an upgrade if you choose to add another video card later, but for the time being, it's a good deal at 80 bucks.

However, for a few more dollars, you can get a better performer from Corsair at newegg until the 19th:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&cm_sp=Cat_Power_Supplies-_-Spotlight-_-17-139-020

Optical looks good.

Mouse and Keyboard are personal preference.

As far as the SSD, I'd very much recommend that you get one. The idea is to have a small capacity, extremely fast SSD to install windows on, as well as your program and games.

Then use a secondary, higher capacity, slower HDD for your saved games, music, documents, photos, movies, etc.

This design allows the greatest performance of your applications, games and windows. It also allows you to reformat your system regularly to retain system performance, since your core data is stored on a secondary HDD. Everything installed on the SSD can be reinstalled.

I would recommend getting a 64GB or 120GB SATA III drive. If you can't afford a SATA III drive, consider something like the Intel 320 SSD which is a very fast and reliable SATA II drive.

ROFLMAO

rvilkman

Distinguished
In theory aluminum case would conduct heat better than a steel one, thus any components that hit the frame would dissipate their heat better.
As well as any heat collecting to the case would conduct through the case faster.

However as pointed above it's about airflow, and not to allow the heat to collect in the case. So probably an aluminum case with great airflow is the best.
But I would go for a good airflow first and check if I want to be fancy with aluminum later :)

If money was no object: Silverstore FT02 would be my first choice. $250 + shipping ( $30 or so at newegg )
However since it is an object: I use an Antec 300 Illusion, which has great airflow and got it on sale for $45 + free shipping :)