Do I have enough power for my build? No POST troubleshooting.

nickmo94

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Initially I had thought a Corsair Enthusiast 650W power supply would be more than enough for my needs, but through emulating my build as closely as possible on the cyberpowerpc website, they are giving me a recommended 700W rating.

As I have just completed my computer only to have no POST beep sounds (all fans work, case LEDs, and hard drive audibly spins), I wanted to find out if the PSU is to blame.

Here are all the power consuming parts of my build:
ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 Motherboard (24 pin and 8 pin power hookups)

Intel i5-2500k CPU

Xigmatek LOKI 92mm CPU Fan

Hitachi ULTRASTAR 1Tb 7200 RPM Hard Drive

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 1Gb GPU

CoolerMaster HAF 922 Chassis (has 3 fans)

No internal disc drive (have an external USB powered one).
23" Asus LED monitor

Belkin 12 outlet surge protector (I don't think this dissipates a noticeable amount of power, but I felt I should mention it anyways)

Now, as my power supply is SLI and Xfire compatible, I highly doubted that I would be at a lack for power, but, as I am in the terrible situation of not having a POST beep on power-on, I wanted to just make sure anyways.

Thank you very much for any thoughts on if a 650W power supply would be good enough for this build, or if cyberpowerpc is right, and I really do need 700W to run it.

Sincerely,
Nicholas

nickmo94

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
That is what I thought...

Damn, that is both good and bad. For one it means that the PSU is good, which is a positive thing, unfortunately, that means I cannot just blame the PSU, and will have to troubleshoot this thing more...

Well, i recommend disconnecting anything not needed to for post(Like that USB DVD drive and all but a single stick of memory).

So just a board, cpu, 1 stick of ram, power supply,keyboard and cpu fan. No need for anything else(hard drive ect) to see if it will post. This also means connecting your screen to the onboard video card and having the 6950 out for now.

See if you can get it to post that way. Before you try, may as well hit that little clr cmos button on the back plate on the board.

If it posts, you can slowly add things back to the system to see what is causing the issue.

If this does not work, you may want to remove the cpu and very carefully look to make sure non of the pins in the socket(LGA) are bent. If you do remove the cpu, clearly once reinstalled, you need to clean and replace the thermal paste.