Question On New System

jale1966

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I am going to build my mom a new system, question I have I have a Chiefmax 750w 20.24 pin power supply with two 6+2 PCI Express and Six Sata, 4 + 4pin Server EPS +12V, a basic DVD RW drive and a 250 GB 7200 hard drive should I go ahead and keep them with the new system or just buy new?

Solution
Is your hard drive and DVD drive compatible with SATA? Or does the motherboard that you're looking at have IDE plug-ins if either or both drives use them?

Aside from that, I think you should reuse what you already have; especially with pieces that minimally impact performance, if at all. Your hard drive has a good RPM, and read/write optical drives don't need to be fancy to work, so I say, again, double check that your mobo supports their interface, and if so, use them!

Also, your power supply seems to have all the components necessary for any midline build as far as I know. Granted, I would take my word on this with a grain of salt, as I am experiencing no-POST issues with my current build, and the PSU may be to blame. In other...

nickmo94

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Is your hard drive and DVD drive compatible with SATA? Or does the motherboard that you're looking at have IDE plug-ins if either or both drives use them?

Aside from that, I think you should reuse what you already have; especially with pieces that minimally impact performance, if at all. Your hard drive has a good RPM, and read/write optical drives don't need to be fancy to work, so I say, again, double check that your mobo supports their interface, and if so, use them!

Also, your power supply seems to have all the components necessary for any midline build as far as I know. Granted, I would take my word on this with a grain of salt, as I am experiencing no-POST issues with my current build, and the PSU may be to blame. In other words, I'm no expert by any stretch.

I do however, see absolutely no problem in reusing the hard drive or optical drive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS