First time build. Have I picked the right parts?

epezent

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I'm helping my younger brother build a gaming computer for Christmas. I think we've settled on the specs and parts, but I want to make sure everything we are about to order will work together. So here's what we got:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
GPU: XFX Radeon 6970
Memory: G-Skill 8GB DDR3 1600
SSD: Intel 320 80GB
HDD: Reusing a Seagate 500GB 32MB Cache
Case: Antec 300
Optical: Reuse
PSU: Corsair 750W
Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Total comes out to be $1275.99! Not bad for what we are getting I think. Couple questions:
-Are we going to have any foreseeable problems with the case and the big 6970 card? I've read of plenty people doing it, but just want to make sure.
-Second, how feasible will adding another 6970 down the road be given the current case, mobo and PSU?
-Last, is there a better motherboard in the same price I should be aware of?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for better parts please feel free to do so! We are just trying to keep it around $1300.

Thanks

samal90

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
for mobo i'd recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265

for cpu...do you really need an i7??? It's for people that are doing heavy cpu demanding things like graphics or calculations. Games run almost as fast with an i5. You can save some money and sacrifice 4-5% performance by getting an i5-2500k instead.

For SSD: It's good but maybe you can wait for a good special on a 120GB model. I bought one for 160$ couple months ago :) If not, 80GB is enough to install OS and office.

Graphics card: I think the 6970 is overkill for the money. Its just too expensive for the performance gain over a 6870 for example. I suggest getting two 6870s. It would cost you almost the same price as a 6970 and you would get much better performance (Much more than what you need).

The rest seems ok. The heat sink is good :)

Cheers

epezent

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I agree on the processor suggestion. I don't think he'll use an i7 to its full potential but, hey, it's what he wants. I'll try to talk some sense into him.

I'll take your advice on the SSD and scavenge around for a better deal. We need to order it this week though I'm afraid.

As for the GPU, the reason we are just getting the 6970 instead of a Crossfire solution is so that, in say a year, when he needs more power, he can just get another as opposed to the not being much upgrade potential for 6870s in crossfire. I realize crossfire may be a more powerful option, but the 6970 should handle everything he wants to play.