I have been having an issue with my laptop for the past few days. At first the screen of my laptop decides to suddenly turn down while I was doing things, mostly when doing resource intensive things. Not too much of a problem at first, since I could force it to shutdown at first and then simply restart it, but after a few days of not having any issues at all, the problem has returned and been getting worse. After using Google quite a bit and trying several things, I am now quite lost.
Perhaps it's a good idea to post my specs:
Dell Inspiron M5010
AMD Phenom II N970 Quad-Core @ 2.2ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
2 x Kingston KVR1333D3S9/4G 4GB RAM sticks
The RAM was an upgrade, apart from that all components are as they were when I bought it.
I have tried the following things:
1. Remove the battery and unplug the adapter, then hold the power button for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Didn't help.
2. Shine with a torch at the screen or sit in a dark room to see if the back light stopped working, but as far as I could see, the screen seemed entirely dark as if turned off.
3. Use an external monitor to test if the laptop screen was broken. I am entirely sure it didn't get a signal as I always use an external monitor to extend displays and that as well turned black when my laptop randomly stopped cooperating.
4. Try both RAM sticks invidually to test if they were malfunctioning. They are either both malfunctioning or neither, as it didn't make a difference.
5. Resetting the BIOS settings to default. This in fact turned back on my system password on startup, which took me a day to guess it again.
6. Remove the CMOS battery and putting it back in after small period of time.
7. D+power button to test the LCD, results were fine at first, but now the problem occurs even then at random moments.
8. Going to boot options and then running diagnostics. Same as the one prior to this test, results were fine at first but now I can't successfully run them without having to stare at a black screen.
Additional things that are noteworthy:
1. If i go into the BIOS now, I can enter it, but after a short while it goes black.
2. I can sometimes load up windows, but it stops either at the loading windows icon or shortly afterwards. The windows sound still plays though.
3. A few times I when I got the black screen, I got a message on startup saying that windows shut down with an error. It had something to do with blue screen, as if it was a black screen of death.
4. The thermal compound between my CPU and the heat sinks is entirely dried up and hardened, whereas the thermal compound between the heat sink and my GPU and other components is just fine, thick and gooey.
5. After removing all power and holding the power button for a while or after having opened the casing, I hear 5 consecutive bleeps at startup until restarting my laptop. This occurs every time I take away all power.
6. My motherboard does not show any physical damage as far as my eyes can see, neither do any of the components.
That's all I can think of at the moment. I don't have any spare parts, neither do I wish to demolish the CPU or other parts when trying to replace those. RAM, DVD reader, heat sink and other 'loose' components are fine though.
Any suggestions, advice or solutions are greatly appreciated.