Why does my desk top pc power up for three seconds then dies

2brian1

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
my dog knocked over my tower right on the face grr, it shut off,now powers up for 3 sec and dies. i hear the power supply making a shrill noise though i think i used to hear that when it scanned. do you think i fried my pwr supply? or something else?
gotta figure this out my resume is in it gotta find a job asap lol.
brian = help me please!!!

benjammn

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I agree with amuffin, could very well be the hdd, but you would see post and it would probably not be able to load windows or just state that no boot drive was found, type thing. I would have to start with PSU and work from there. Do you have another pc to at least throw your hdd into to pull your docs from?

laircouk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
*Shrug* Bad Doggie!

Now, it looks like your PSU has gone to heaven. So yeah, it's dead or broken.
If you still have warranty, just RMA your PSU and get another one. Also, please check other components, such as CPU heat - sink. You don't want that to be hanging off it's leg... :(

P.S. Take out your HDD and use a SATA drive to USB cable with a laptop (if you have a laptop). I hope that helps...

HDD aren't sensitive at all - they have a max impact force of 300G's

just check your cables

....sigh... I do hope you are trolling... A spinning harddrive that is subjected to sharp impact or force can cause the head.... you know the thing floating right over the disk? to crash.

That's obviously not what's causing the power cycle though. Reseat the memory and any cards, check the heatsink didn't pull the CPU out, check all the cables. its unlikely it would damage the PSU itself although maybe the fan, hence the noise.

are you making this stuff up ?

I have hdds that has on the label " Caution Product warranty is void if the top cover, or any seal or label is removed, or if the drive experiences shock in excess of 300G's"

and

" Caution Product warranty is void if the top cover, or any seal or label is removed, or if the drive experiences shock in excess of 75G's"

I suggest grabbing a hdd or two and having a good look at it :)

add.. while am at it , please explain how a heat sink can pull a cpu out . ty.

Warranty void is not the same thing as a head crash. no one said they wouldn't cover it. They wont if you do something STUPID with it. This is also ignoring the fact that those warranty rating are for while a drive is not running. its takes much.less force to cause damage while it is. theres a reason laptops have special impact protection (fast head parking for one)built into the drives. Theres also the fact that you dont understand how "Gs" and physics work. Its a measure of force. Mass x acceleration. Acceleration includes time. Short impact time ( harddrive hitting floor and stopping immediatly) drastically increases applied force. Its known as a shock. you coukd easily hit 100Gs dropping a harddrive. since you know nothing about harddrives have a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_crash

Since you're short on CPU knowledge as well... Sudden application of force can pop loose or damage latches, or exert force on a lose heatsink. Since TIM has an adhesive affect and heatsinks can be rather heavy if the latch loosens at all its very possible for the weight of the heatsink and force of the fall to shift the CPU, or pull it partialy out. It should be checked and reseated. Latches aren't meant to withstand the force of a fall and TIM is plenty strong enough to pull a chip straight out of a ZIF socket without opening the latch just when removing the heatsink, let alone during a fall.

Hi :)

Totally agree on both counts....

I have seen HUNDREDS of impact damaged hard drives in my shops and many cpus ripped out by falls or even someone being heavy handed...

All the best Brett :)

spleenbegone

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
The most common thing I'd imagine in this situation would be a cord touching the fan. If that's not it, along with all the other things suggested, reset your cmos, and ensure nothing is making contact with your motherboard that shouldn't be.