Sign in with
Your question

Broken CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
March 19, 2012 5:10:35 AM

Few days ago, I got my new cpu. I installed it and turned on my computer. It said my CPU is not supported so I took it off and installed the latest bios. It worked. But I didn't reapply thermal paste. Next day I got blue screen because of my CPU getting overheated. I took it off I looked at it's four sides. It was Pretty damaged. If I reapply artic silver 5, will it work again? Sorry for my mistakes I'm using my Phone ATM
EDIT: there Was Pre applied thermal compound.

More about : broken cpu

a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 5:18:09 AM

Sounds to me like you may have fried your processor. The only real way to find out is put in apply thermal paste and see what happens. I'd imagine even if it does work the life of the chip probably took a severe hit and I'd be looking to purchase another one, especially if you plan to OC.
m
l
March 19, 2012 9:10:13 AM

Please RMA your CPU and don't forget to apply thermal paste once you got a replacement.
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 8:45:47 PM

RMA approved. processor still works but im going to mail it in. Hope I get a new one tho. Why does the side of my CPU feels little rough?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 8:50:52 PM

fengpwns said:
RMA approved. processor still works but im going to mail it in. Hope I get a new one tho. Why does the side of my CPU feels little rough?

Hi :) 

RMA approved.....I would bet they are NOT going to be happy once they have seen burnt sides on the cpu....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 19, 2012 8:59:46 PM

Brett928S2 said:

RMA approved.....I would bet they are NOT going to be happy once they have seen burnt sides on the cpu....

I don't see burnts. But I feel Rough lines on the side. Is that burnt?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 9:02:32 PM

Thats where the Homer Simpson guide to life comes in "It was like that when i got it!"
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 9:33:14 PM

fengpwns said:
I don't see burnts. But I feel Rough lines on the side. Is that burnt?

A picture would help.....

m
l
March 20, 2012 2:32:04 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Bad pics but if thats a burn mark on the edge , you will have problems with an RMA....

How do i check if its a burnt mark?
m
l
!