Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Keyboard and Mouse?

Last response: in Components
a b 4 Gaming
March 19, 2012 5:13:35 AM

Does having a gaming keyboard and mouse really give you that much advantage over someone who does not have one? Does it really make that big of a difference in experieince and gaming performance? Are they really worth that much money? Specifically for FPS games that is, will it really give you the edge over someone who does not in say a, gun fight? Can someone post their experiencies? :??: 

More about : gaming keyboard mouse

March 19, 2012 7:49:58 AM

Well they tend to be faster than their non-gaming counterparts. The mouse for instance. A normal one should have around 800DPI maybe a bit more. A gaming one can reach 2000. Plus gaming mouse tend to have more buttons for hotkeys (more useful in MMORPGs than FPS games).
Plus they look awesome.

On a personal note tho: skill>gaming mouse+keyboard
March 19, 2012 8:12:33 AM

A gaming mouse and a decent mousemat can definitely improve your accuracy and your enjoyment of the game.
Higher accuracy, quicker response and tracking at very high speeds are the advantages of a gaming mouse.
Most professional fps gamers use pretty low mouse sensitivities (30cm or more for a full 360° rotation). This requires a lot of mouse movement and most cheap mice simply refuse to work when moving that fast.

Most cheap gaming keyboards are just a fraud. They are normal keyboards dressed up as gaming keyboards.
"Real" gaming keyboards start at $100/100€+ and use mechanical switches, sometimes even PS/2 connectors instead of USB (PS/2 allows a higher number of keys to be pressed at the same time and sends CPU interrupts whenever you press a key.). I've never used one of these keyboards, but some people say it's the best thing ever.....
I'd say a normal keyboard is fine for pretty much everything unless you play Starcraft professionally or something like that.
Related resources
March 19, 2012 8:33:19 AM

amuffin said:
Does having a gaming keyboard and mouse really give you that much advantage over someone who does not have one? Does it really make that big of a difference in experieince and gaming performance? Are they really worth that much money? Specifically for FPS games that is, will it really give you the edge over someone who does not in say a, gun fight? Can someone post their experiencies? :??: 

good point amuffin.i come across people spending $300 on 'gaming' keyboard and mouse.it's a wastage IMO.it's not the keyboard or mouse it's the skills.
there are a few minor advantages-
they are more comfortable
a bit stronger than regular things

BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER FOR A SKILLED PLAYER :lol:  :lol: 
March 19, 2012 9:10:12 AM

hellfire24 said:
good point amuffin.i come across people spending $300 on 'gaming' keyboard and mouse.it's a wastage IMO.it's not the keyboard or mouse it's the skills.
there are a few minor advantages-
they are more comfortable
a bit stronger than regular things

BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER FOR A SKILLED PLAYER :lol:  :lol: 

There are some real advantages of using a gaming keyboard. Most cheap keyboards only support 3 concurrent keypresses, and that can be too little.
Especially if you're not a pro gamer but simply a bunch of people playing splitscreen or something. For the best experience you do need an n-key capable keyboard.
That being said, I'm using cheap HP basic keyboards with no redeeming features whatsoever. Simply because it's cheaper than dirt.
March 19, 2012 9:13:33 AM

^+1
I recently bought a Logitech G400 gaming mouse.. For the first few days it was awesome because i have never used a gaming mouse before, programmable keys, changeable dpi.. In first week i made profiles for each games, selected dpi for them etc.. But now i just install the game and play.. I can't even remember i have a gaming mouse.. :D  About experieince and gaming performance ; there was no difference from the beginning.. just like a normal mouse.. G400 is a cheap one (42$).. I don't know about expensive mice like Sensei, G9x, Kone+.. They may feel different in gaming..

My opinion - don't waste money.. :) 
March 19, 2012 9:17:26 AM

lakshitharxx said:
^+1
I recently bought a Logitech G400 gaming mouse.. For the first few days it was awesome because i have never used a gaming mouse before, programmable keys, changeable dpi.. In first week i made profiles for each games, selected dpi for them etc.. But now i just install the game and play.. I can't even remember i have a gaming mouse.. :D  About experieince and gaming performance ; there was no difference from the beginning.. just like a normal mouse.. G400 is a cheap one (42$).. I don't know about expensive mice like Sensei, G9x, Kone+.. They may feel different in gaming..

My opinion - don't waste money.. :) 

Expensive ones are no different
I have a RAT9 that cost some $129 and it's the worst investment I've made since preordering halo 2
March 19, 2012 9:26:06 AM

^ :lol:  about preordering halo 2
March 19, 2012 9:47:55 AM

I recently got a gaming mouse and keyboard. Personally, for me I think it was worth every penny especially since I got them on sale. My mouse, the Logitech G500 is pretty amazing because of the higher responsiveness and sensitivity (5700 dpi). My keyboard, Microsoft Sidewinder x6, also has a nice solid feel to it and plenty of programmable keys for my Starcraft 2. Not to mention that they both look pretty badass. Also, mechanical keyboards last ridiculous amounts of time (x5 longer than the average keyboard) and have extremely short response times. In the high levels of play every millisecond counts.
March 19, 2012 9:56:56 AM

wow, so much randomness here.

first off, gaming keyboards. there is NO difference between the response of different keyboards, so any is as good as any other.

some models have limitations on how many keys you can press at the same time, for instance, i cannot press W+A (strafe right), Tab and the 2 key at the same time. so in those excedingly rare circumstances when im looking ath the scorebord, strafing, and trying to get you machinegun out, it won't work.

the reason why people buy more expensive keyboards is the tactile feedback, and for someone who does a lot of typing, a $100 keyboard might be worth it.

i can recommend the tenkeyless from coolermaster (search google for "tenkeyless coolermaster"). there's also videos of people talking about "switches", it's interesting stuff to know.

=========================================================

As for what concerns mice, sensor, shape and drivers are all three major issues.
drivers, you positively want a mouse that comes with USB Poll Rate overclocking, as the 8ms lag that normal mice have is positively slow for FPS games.

sensors, some have angle-snapping, prediction, line-smoothing, and other artificial implements that were designed for desktop use or graphic design, and don't cope well with pixel-perfect aim.

note that *most* gaming mice nowadays have both port overclocking drivers and no-prediction sensors, so what remains as most important factor is the shape.

many, many people swear by Logitech, with G9x and Mx510/518 being two of the favourites.
Razer makes the Abyssus which is fantastic if you want a pure aiming mouse.
Steelseries are very popular with professional gamers, Microsoft (the WMO 1.1a is a classic, but you need to overclock the ports to 500hz), but really these mice function practically all the same way. what is different between them is how their shape (AND WEIGHT) fits with your hand and your grip.

different people grasp their mice in different ways - some people grasp it with their fingers, some others lie their palm on it. some put a lot of pressure on it, some almost lift it.

therefore a mouse who is either heavier or lighter, small or big, and fits your hand they way you want it, will be better than any other mouse, regardless of the other factors.

i can suggest you try either a logitech or an abyssus, since either can be had for little moneys, and go from there. unless you have gaming friends or a shop near by, you'll have to buy to try them.

================================================================

finally if you want to improve your aim, try a quality mousepad, like a steelseries, or a goliathus. it's not just the smoothness, it's the surface friction too.

and lower your mouse sensitivity until you play from the elbow, not the wrist.

good luck and practice practice practice.
March 19, 2012 9:58:42 AM

I own a Logitech G9X mouse and it is honestly one of the best mice i have ever used, it feels nice to use plus the 5200+ dpi is great specially in eyefinity.
But i love having buttons to change the mouse speeds on the fly, I usually lower it for accurate aiming while sniping for tiny adjustments to my aim
March 19, 2012 10:14:14 AM

digdog said:

first off, gaming keyboards. there is NO difference between the response of different keyboards, so any is as good as any other.

Really? I mean ... really?
so you're saying usb is just as fast as ps/2 despite having more software layers to cross and the risk of having to wait on other devices on the hub? and that wireless keyboards don't introduce additional latencies due to wireless transmission or the extra layers of software and hardware needed to get the signal from the device to the screen?

I'd like you to explain to me, in english, why a wireless bluetooth keyboard has the exact same response time as a ps/2 keyboard. Please.
a b 4 Gaming
March 19, 2012 4:13:30 PM

Well like I am currently using this keyboard:

and this mouse:

Which basically were just lying around. Would buying a corsair k60 or m60 make it much better?
!