Nvidia Geforce 7300 GT mystery

pixpicker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I don’t mean to revisit a well-worn topic on a “wood burning” video card but I have an issue with my Geforce 7300 GT on an Asus P5w DH Deluxe mobo running XP Pro sp3 that I just can’t solve. I have extensively researched this topic in this forum and others. The card is recognized but I get a Code 10 error in device manager - “This device cannot start”. The only way I can get the card to work is by disabling and enabling it in device manager and I came upon this after several days of trial and error procedures. I have done the following:
-uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver multiple times and several different ways (using driver sweep, safe mode etc.)
-updated and tweaked the bios
-updated the mobo drivers and chip set
-removed and re-installed the card in a different PCIe slot

As I said, the only way to get the card to work is by disabling and enabling it each time I boot. The default video driver is VGAsave and it would seem logical to disable it to solve the problem but I don’t want to be in a situation where I have no video at all. Any suggestions?

pixpicker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply. It's my own build and I do experiment with a lot of trial software but I can't think of anything that might have caused the problem. I really only noticed it a few weeks ago. The card works flawlessly when I do the disable - enable routine. I was convinced it was a driver issue but I think I've eliminated that as the cause. I guess the card could be going but I keep thinking it's something to do with VGAsave being the default video in XP. Do you (or anyone) have any experience with VGAsave and disabling it?