Sign in with
Your question

$2500 AU plus to spend, wanting longevity.

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2011 8:38:24 PM

Hi guys, Firstly thank you for any answers and knowlage you give and all I have learned here so far... I'm a newb builder and have been reading some 2 months or so.. but am nervous of blowing my precious $ with some simple mistake...

I am after a comp I can use for the next 5 years, by just upgrading components now & then. after the least complicated (ie won't over clock or have any specialized needs) and most practical ($ on basics ie...lot of space and places to plug in cards, not on specialized stuff)

I need to run at least 3 screens 22 to 24 inch, I run photoshop, (open all the time) while having Second Life game open and music playing or watching tv..) (I make textures and meshes & sell them to SL players. The SL enviroment is not on my hard drive but server side, and is full of scripts/ textures (some badly made) etc, made by other players so it hard to run smoothly. )

So basically am after the most basic and steady high power to have most of these things all running 24/7... that will be upgradable for years to come.

-full tower case - corsair or fractal

-mobo - Asus - as many slots and as compatible, ivy ready etc

-power - alot I wanted 1200 to 1600 as tv sound card & outside NAD amp, wacom drawing tablet and various other bits and peices all hang off puter.

-cooling - It gets up to 50 degrees C in this room.. and the puter will run all the time

- gpu Nvidia not keen to cross fire

- cpu still valid in 5 yrs time

- ram at least 16

Anyone got any advice? I am sorry for my lack of proper jargon.. building a pc is just not my area..

Thank you all

Meri
December 14, 2011 12:16:45 AM

Any preferred retailers, close/ good warranties? Or just using any of the large Australian sellers?

Also do you have have the screens or are they in the purchase?

When do you need to buy? You want an ivy supported Mobo but a cpu that will last 5 years... Can you wait til Ivy is released, or will you upgrade then?
m
l
December 14, 2011 1:42:58 AM

Hi, Anti,

Thanks, yes I'm in Tassi, pretty remote, we have one good shop but they are so busy.. they don't talk to people about the questions I am posing here...

I'd prefer to buy here incase I need to physically take it for repair so have to come up with a list of parts.

I have one screen now and would like to afford 2 more. But really want to direct the $ to the case, motherboard, cpu(?) and power/cooling... I have the impression they are the foundation of a long lasting & versitile system. Also to start off with a decent gpu too.

The rest, 3rd screen, nice sound card etc I can save for and add on...

--------------------------------------------------

So far I have pondered (Parts I don't want to have to upgrade)

Case - Corsair - Obsidian 800D- it looks spacious

Power - Corsair AX1200 Gold - People seem to say in forums 7oo is enough but I use the puter for so much stuff (TV, graphics, music SL etc) alot of it running at the same time & for hours at a time, that I figured I may need more power...

Cooling, Corsair and best I can get as it gets so hot here and dusty too (I'm on a beach w no airconditioning and winter is big fireplace so very hot too)

Motherboard - After something that is seriously reliable and has a lot of slots with just the basic extras nothing fancy. The reason I was thinking one that will fit with Ivy (or I wait for the ivy release, depending on how long it is), is Ivy might make to much obsolete?

Soundcard - I'll want one I can use out to my NAD amp. This I can get later though.

Screens - What ever I can afford.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The stuff I am assuming I will be upgrading & adding to etc is:

Ram - as much as I can afford:

GPU - Nvidia I was guessing around a GTX 5 series, I don't want to run 2 in a crossfire but will if needed.

I am sorry I sound so unclear.. it's like a diff language to me as I have alwys bought brand puters.

My first ever puter a puter friend took me to a warehouse in like 1998 and bought the parts off the shelf and apart from once Acer laptop everything else I have had has been crap.. like lasting a year or 2 and fizzing out badly the lastest, an HP, didn't even really work to start with.. So yes am keen to get something decent again, and have saved up some cash and want to do it asap.

Thanks

Meri :) 

m
l
December 14, 2011 2:18:21 AM

If you were going to get an intel processor (1155 socket) Then I would reccomend the Asus P8P68 WS Revolution. It has lts of room for expansion and is compaible with both Sandy and Ivy bridge designs. For your needs, I would strongly reccomend a SLI solution due to your multiple monters and its aility to scale. The Motherboard I suggested supports up to 4 gpu's. As for cooling, (living in queensland) I would reccomend water cooling though its up to you. Also i would reccomend a SSD for your opperating system, photoshop and other commonly used programs It would speed up your computer rapidly. Just a suggestion. If the processors for the 1155 socket are not powerful enough and you wish to go to the 2011 socket, the processors are instantly $200 more.
m
l
December 14, 2011 2:34:27 AM

Hello Lowly,

Ahh... that is the kinda info I have been trying to work out.. Thank you. I will go look at this mobo now!

And yes a little ssd for my OS & progs..

I am hunting around trying to get a grasp on the processors pre & post ivy .. spose it is good to learn all this though..

I've lived in Qld before yrs ago.. Tassi, oddly, is as hot in summer I find.

Thanks

Meri ")

m
l
December 14, 2011 2:43:39 AM

Hi Meri

I agree the ASUS is a good motherboard and everything else looks fine. If you are willing to upgrade CPU and GRAPHICS in the future then you don't need anything too fancy right now. I would recommend:

Intel i7 2500k
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM (the basic cheapest 4x4 kit) from g.skill
2 x GeForce GTX550ti (no need to SLI, just nice and easy for 3 monitors)

Then later down the track you can easily fit in a nice sound card. I would say that CPU should last 3 years or so and the video cards around 2 years. If you need help with a sound card, please let me know :) 
m
l
December 14, 2011 5:42:58 PM

pezonator said:
Hi Meri

I agree the ASUS is a good motherboard and everything else looks fine. If you are willing to upgrade CPU and GRAPHICS in the future then you don't need anything too fancy right now. I would recommend:

Intel i7 2500k
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM (the basic cheapest 4x4 kit) from g.skill
2 x GeForce GTX550ti (no need to SLI, just nice and easy for 3 monitors)

Then later down the track you can easily fit in a nice sound card. I would say that CPU should last 3 years or so and the video cards around 2 years. If you need help with a sound card, please let me know :) 

Hiya Pezonator & Lowly!
Thanks very much.. I've looked at your ideas... I can't find the mobo mentioned or the processor.

So i found an AsRock moboard. The moboard I'd like to be sure on as I don't really want to upgrade that to much well not at all if possible. And if I can a cheaper processor.. but the way I use the puter I am not going to be suprised if I can't...

The gpu's I can't find in AsRock format .. only gigabyte, Asus and some other one... but they seem around 150 each so 2 will fit in budget...I am not even sure that matters... ? My new wacom I will get cheap somewhere else and my brother gets the OS packs of microsoft so I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit already for this build.

So here's the list:

So with longevity and the various uses in mind I have chosen running 24/7 - photoshop/blender type progs always left open specially photoshop - tv or music running a lot often with surfing drawing progs or SL game .. basically the hub of all activity in the house .. I am so new to builds and am veryopen to changes too if anyone can suggest better:

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case
$369.00

Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Cooler
$165.00

Corsair HX-1050 80 PLUS Silver Power Supply
$265.00 (or bigger )

ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3
$255.00

Intel Core i7 2600K
$339.00

LG E2750V-PN 27in LED Widescreen Monitor
$309.00

LG E2441V-BN 24inch LED Widescreen Monitor
$169.00

HauppaugeTV MiniStick-HD Digital TV Tuner
$59.00

G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL (4x4GB) DDR3
$109.00

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD
$199.00

LG GH24NS70 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM
$25.00

Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST500DM002
$89.00

Sub-Total:$2352.00

Thank you :) 

Meri

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2011 7:27:56 PM

My advice for longevity would be:

- Spend $1,200 on a machine now (probably an i5-2500k variant)

- In three years, spend $1,200 on a new machine that will be better than any you can buy for $2,500 right now.

- Take the extra $100 and buy some crack.

Other thoughts ... there is no reason - NONE - to get a $300+ case unless you're just trying to show off ... the i5-2500k overclocks so well on air alone that you won't need water cooling unless you're just trying to be ridiculous ... AsRock doesn't make video cards ... a 1050W power supply is way overkill unless you're running two of the biggest GPUs available, and at $150 apiece, it doesn't sound like you are.
m
l
December 14, 2011 7:49:25 PM

Hello Captian

Well I will give you 100 dollars to get off the crack.. it erodes ones social skills.

No love, I'm not trying to show off, I am totally new to building and am aiming for a solid base computer... I feel right out of my depth and don't want to have to redo this in 2 yrs time. $2500 is here now.. In 2 years I don't think it will be, not even half that, with other finacial commitments starting soon...

I have had 2 computers go to heat probs and am concerned, naturally, as the room they are in.. if you had read back a little .. gets to 50 Celcius in the summer.. is dusty and I have no aircon. I live up a dirt road at a beach... Later I will upgrade or more so replace gpu and so on in much smaller spends than this $2500 I have now.

So yes, basically I am after a pc base I can keep for years.. I was hoping to feed it graph cards cpus and so on as needed for as long as possible.. if you get my drift..

Maybe this approach is impossible.. I really don't know enough.. but some other posters seemed to think it was ok... So I am just pottering through it... not showing off lol.. It's more so like having teeth pulled. Do you think this approach is possible.. or did you just dislike the build with out realising my aims and constraints?

Thanks,

Meri
m
l
!