Partitioning Win XP

I have been trying to find information on partitioning XP
to have one for XP, one for my data and one for swap
files.

The only info I have found as of yet is about other
Oerating Systems, not XP.

Could you tell me if this is my best route and how to
find the information to accomplish this?

Sincerely,

Thomas

The only way to partition on the fly, without losing programs already installed is with a 3rd party partition manager such as Partition Magic or BootIt NG.
If you use Fdisk you will lose all programs.

--
JerryM (ID)

MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
A man who can smile when things go wrong,
has thought of someone he can blame it on.

"Thomas Cox" <chipotles2@cox.net> wrote in message news:01f201c48ae6$9da3b7c0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>I have been trying to find information on partitioning XP
> to have one for XP, one for my data and one for swap
> files.
>
> The only info I have found as of yet is about other
> Oerating Systems, not XP.
>
> Could you tell me if this is my best route and how to
> find the information to accomplish this?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Thomas

jeff

Thomas,

If you want to safely partition the drive that already
contains data, use Partition magic, you can create boot
floppies that will allow you to repartition your hard
drive. Now if you want to relocate stuff like "Documents
and Settings" from C drive to D drive, that is little more
involved, but can be done. For My Documents, that is easy
to relocate to a different drive. Another solution is (if
you have the room) add another hard drive and partition it
then place your data there. If you plan to relocate your
page files,then you need to do that on a separate hard
drive on a separate IDE channel.

Jeff

Sidewinder

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003

Avoid ulcers -- get a second physical hard drive. Both
Seagate and Western Digital have download programs on
their websites that create a bootable diskette. (The same
is probably true for the other manufacturers.) That
diskette can be used to create partitions and format the
new drive rapidly. This technique also allows a person to
configure partitions prior to even loading Windows if you
have a single drive.

One note of caution, if you preconfigure a hard drive
prior to attempting to load Windows, make sure that your
BIOS settings are in the right order to allow loading of
the operating system from a CD-ROM or floppy. Then reset
the BIOS later to boot first off of the hard drive.

techsupport at p2-c2.com
Place "Attn: Thomas" in subject line if sending an email.