Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Side Window MOD

Last response: in Components
March 19, 2012 9:37:53 AM

Hi everyone, since I have time, I would like to ask the MOD team about Side - Panel modding.
So, here goes...

When I am back to UK grounds, I would like to mod my CM Trooper "side - panel". But, I need to know which tools / equipment just to design my own side - panel. Also, here is my logo which I like to work on...

Secondly, where am I going to get a flat panel that will fit the side of my CM-Storm Trooper? Should I contact CM for a flat panel / plane panel?

Many thanks!

More about : side window mod

March 19, 2012 1:18:31 PM

does it have a side window already? and you might be able to cut it out of a flat no window panel with a Dremel Tool with a metal gringing bit.
March 19, 2012 1:40:19 PM

aldo for mounting the plexi glass, maybe you can find some mounting pieces for say, mirror panels and stuff, like clips, those could hold it on fairly well. kinda like when you use in a picture frame at the corners to hold the picture in the back but bigger lol.
Related resources
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 19, 2012 1:49:03 PM

How big do you want your logo to be?

And where in the panel do you want it mounted?

a b ) Power supply
March 19, 2012 2:10:48 PM

You have to contact CM and ask them for a solid side panel. If that doesn't work, you could still go for a completely Acrylic side panel with your logo machined or frosted in. If you are using UV sensitive acrylic glass it will look pretty awesome.

There's plenty of Youtube videos around that show how to mod a side panel, just look for something like "side panel window mod". Doesn't need to be your case, it's just for you getting the hang of it.

Have fun. :) 
March 19, 2012 3:34:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion everyone! So, I got to acquire a Dremel Tool.

Any other things I should look for?

@whatsthatnoise: I will try my best to find UV sensitive acrylic glass. That will take me a while. But, I will also contact CM help desk and ask for flat panel for modding... if not, I will go for acrylic Laser engraving. :) 

a b ) Power supply
March 19, 2012 3:45:34 PM

You will also need a fine rasp and sandpaper to smooth of the metal edges after cutting. Some paint in the color of your case would be a good thing to have, too.

There are several ways to fit the acrylic to the panel, easiest way is double sided sticky tape (or glue) on the backside. You can also use screws for a more industrial look, etc.

Depends on what look you are aiming for.

Edit:
Here's a german shop that also ships to the UK, the panel linked is what you want to look for.
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Modding/Material/Ac...
March 19, 2012 4:11:07 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
You will also need a fine rasp and sandpaper to smooth of the metal edges after cutting. Some paint in the color of your case would be a good thing to have, too.

There are several ways to fit the acrylic to the panel, easiest way is double sided sticky tape (or glue) on the backside. You can also use screws for a more industrial look, etc.

Depends on what look you are aiming for.

Edit:
Here's a german shop that also ships to the UK, the panel linked is what you want to look for.
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Modding/Material/Ac...

Thanks! I will also get a friend from Germany to order that for me when I am back. I can't read German. lol

19.90 EUR = Peanuts = Bargain. Will get 3 of those... :D 

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
March 19, 2012 4:15:23 PM

Google should be able to translate the site to english. Also the only thing in German should be the description ... and who needs that?! ;) 

Pay attention to the size, this one is 400x400mm. They also have 500x500 for 29.90€. Depends on the size of the window you are aiming for.

You only need one of these, given that you don't mess up. ;) 
March 19, 2012 4:22:57 PM

There is 500 x 500? Holy Moma! That will be bigger and easier for me to measure, cut and smooth the edges! LOL
March 19, 2012 4:33:00 PM

Okay, I have written everything down on my diary. Better do some DIY modding equipment and materials when I am back! :D 

Thanks!
March 19, 2012 4:33:25 PM

Best answer selected by laircouk.
!