Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I currently own the following setup:

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1075T 3.0 GHz

MoBo: Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3

GPU:none, integrated

HD 1:WD 500 GB 7200 rpm

HD 2:WD 640 GB 7200 rpm

RAM: Corsair XMS 3( 2 x 2 GB, 4GB)( total and while my system is using an integrated gpu, only 3.75 is usable)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Black

and 1 x 140mm , 4 x 120mm (all are Coolmax)

I also have win 7 home premium and nothing is oced. My system, when I had a EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB super clocked ran around 28-30 C at idle and 50-55 C during gaming.

My question is this what is the best option money and performance wise for my build. I would like to know if one badass gpu is getter (maybe Nvidia as opposed to Ati for better shader quality and higher resolution) or would 2 Ati cards be a better option as my motherboard can support CrossFire but not Sli. I would like to add more monitors later (but if I have one gpu then I won't) and have the best setup for the money. I don't really care about the price but since technology changes everyday buying a $800 gpu and then buying another one 6-12 months later doesn't really make sense to me. I was thinking $300 is a decent price for one or two gpu's and once it is outdated I could buy another set or just oc them a bit, lol.
Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Vlachnov

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
The main game i'm hyped about is BF3 and my GTX 460 1GB played it fine but it was overheating and never running even close to 100% of it's potential, so I sent it back and i'm getting it back in a few days. When I bought it I didn't know my mobo couldn't support 2 nvidia gpu's(SLI). So while I don't have the 460 I would like to upgrade to another one or 2 gpu's( which ever is best) or maybe just keep my 460. What do you guy's think. I don't know much about ocing but if I could but one and oc it and get good performance out of it to save $ instead of buying another gpu then I would.

Vlachnov

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I have a friend that can buy it from me for a $20 loss and I purchased it for $143.99. So i'm thinking if there is a good ATI card that I could upgrade right away to or get one ATI card and get the same one later to CrossFire, I think I should. What do you think.

Vlachnov

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
So lets say 2 x HD6870( 2 x $179= $358) would be better than one HD6950($239). But is the $119 worth the money, as in I think I read somewhere that 2 gpu's is a little bit less performance something like the 1st gpu can work at 100% and the second at 80%, so I'm just a bit nervous as I don't know much about pc's and I used to be a console gamer, but I would love to switch to a pc and I would like the best setup for my money. Thanks for guiding me in the right direction, rolli.

you dont want 2x6870, they are known to micro stutter like crazy

and if you wanna play BF3 on ultra with playable FPS, a single GTX 560 Ti or HD 6950 will get the job done, i hit 40+FPS when played the Beta, never dropped lower than 35 FPS... sounds very reasonable for HD 6950, with some pure overclocks you'll hit 50+ FPS.

And better wait for the new series to CF, they are 28nm process which means that they consumes less power and generate less heat, beside they are equipped with the new XDR2 memory = 2x GDDR5