Sign in with
Your question

In need of a Motherboard Master to teach me

Last response: in Motherboards
January 25, 2013 1:35:36 AM

I'm starting this whole journey of building a PC. I don't know really where to start but would like to absorb as much information as possible. I searched the forums everywhere and i've narrowed down to this.

#1 pick a CPU - Intel Core I5 I5-3570t 2.30 Ghz

Now here's my problem. Im running into things like "LGA 1155" "LGA 2011" what is all this stuff? This is the CPU name that relates to motherboards?

#2 Pick a motherboard. This is my main problem. I understand that the motherboard names like Z77 refer to the chipset that controls the stuff on the board (Correct?) and this refers to the "LGA" socket type, but how do I know if my motherboard is compatible with it?

#3 Features. How do I know what features I need? Is there any charts available where it breaks it down for me? Do i need 5 PCIe slots? or the 6 Sata, or dual wifi, it's a bit overwhelming.

I'm going to use this system to game, money right now is not an issue because i've saved about 2,000 right now to set up the entire thing, but wanted to learn in this process.

What are the different features? What should I be looking for in a high end rig? What could I sacrifice if I wasn't up for spending too much?

I noticed ROG has Rampage Extreme, Formula, Gene, what are the real feature difference between them, as in why does the Extreme which costs so much more have that the Gene wouldn't have? Or even the Formula? I'm guessing it to be like Level 1 high, Level 2 med, Level 3 low but can someone help me define if I really need a Level one if i splurge on a better CPU and GPU?

Can someone break down what a "Level 1" user needs as far as features and so on in a general basis?

I know from here I have more stuff to look at like memory, HD, etc, but this would be a start. If anyone is willing to school me I am all ears. Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 2:56:05 AM

So what you are basically saying by level one is that you will be using the computer to do some light gaming, browsing, watching movies, etc.
Since money and performance is not a issue I'd say go for a laptop of about $600-$800

If you are still going for a computer i.e. desktop PC, go wit these components
An amd apu, an mini ITX motherboard and a low profile graphics card.

Anyway for reference use this
Motherboard
ASRock for low price
ASUS/gigabyte for technology
Gigabyte for low maintainence

Processor
Amd for value for money
Intel for speed

GRaphics card
Amd for value for money
NVidia for speed.

Sockets
Intel
LGA2011 (X79) for intel ivy bridge processors and some sandy bridge
LGA1155 (Z77) for intel ivy and sandy bridge

Amd
Am3+, and the later processors 990 supports almost all amd processors of am3+ or later processors

Some guy asked me this in some point of time so I just want to clear this, you cannot put both an amd or an intel processor in any socket motherboard.

With most of the processors you will need a graphics card
All new graphics cards will work on a pcie x16 2.0 slots.
Although some intel motherboards come with pcie x16 3.0 but the pcie x16 2.0 is not slow either.

all those different product line names you talked of are from ASUS and are different in ways like more features and less features.

I cannot assist you anymore on this as I don't know what your exact needs are.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:06:22 AM

lga socket type is for the cpu. pick your cpu then see what socket it takes and then look at those motherboards or pick your mobo and find a cpu that fits it. the number after lga is the number of pins the cpu needs to fit 1155 pins or 2011 pins etc. then you can start to narrow things down. as for pcie slots do you want to run 1 gpu or dual gpus? sata do you want 1 hdd or set up a raid where you have 2, 3, 4 or more hard drives?
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2013 3:12:46 AM

How important are motherboards then? If i picked an LGA 1155 chip, and i wanted a gigabyte board, how would i choose from the plethora of boards they have to offer? What features should I be looking for, IE what features would you be looking for?

Thanks guys for the response.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:20:43 AM

I'd be looking for a board with multiple ram slots with high ram size and frequency compatibility, multiple pcie x16 slots, atleast one pci slot, 8channel sound, Sata 3, USB 3, dual bios(very important), good heat description.

Give us a price and we will give you a suitable build also since you DONOT know much about computer components, it is better you go with a prebuilt computer or learn enough to proceed.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:26:58 AM

They're important for some things, but generally the $150 price point is the way to go. I recommend the Gigabyte z77x-ud3h or the AsRock z77 Extreme4.

As for the CPU, I think you picked out a mobile part. The one you want, value wise, is the i5-3570k. Then you want a CPU cooler for overclocking; the Hyper 212 EVO is perfect.

If you don't want to overclock, then get the i5-3470k and a H77 socket motherboard, which should only be about $100. (for the motherboard.)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:28:47 AM

Xttony said:
Give us a price and we will give you a suitable build also since you DONOT know much about computer components, it is better you go with a prebuilt computer or learn enough to proceed.

What? NO!

OP, don't resort to a prebuilt. They'll charge $500-$1000 more than you could get the computer for in parts.

If you want to pick the parts yourself, then you should learn about them by asking us questions.

If you don't want to, or are feeling too overwhelmed, then fill out the form that's a sticky in these forums... we'll put together the best build for your budget.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:44:20 AM

DarkSable said:
What? NO!

OP, don't resort to a prebuilt. They'll charge $500-$1000 more than you could get the computer for in parts.

If you want to pick the parts yourself, then you should learn about them by asking us questions.

If you don't want to, or are feeling too overwhelmed, then fill out the form that's a sticky in these forums... we'll put together the best build for your budget.

It is better to buy a prebuilt system than to buy components that are not compatible with each other. Also Since he doesnot know what he needs I asked for a budget and also said to learn about the components.
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:47:10 AM

with intel there are two levels of motherboards right now. the home user and light gamer that uses the 1155 chipset.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155
and the 2011 chipset. that made for high end gaming systems. the big difference between the two chipsets is the memory controller and the pci lanes.the 1155 is a duel memory controller the 2011 is a quad. the 2011 has more pci lanes..think as your driving down a highway. under the 1155 chipset intel to have there mb hit a set price point have to cut features and ports on there mb. the b rev chiped mb are the low end of the mbs. the h line is the standard for people that want light gaming rig or word processor. the z chipset right now is the one overclockers use. amd main mb are the the fm2-fm-1 amd +3 motherboard the fm-1 slot is end of life like intel 1156. amd has more then one core design out now and you have to be care full on the cpu you buy. when building a system you start with a good name brand power supply. if the power supply 12v rail is under powered in voltage and amps your rig could have bsod..reboots or lock ups or the power supply if a cheap no named unit can pop and blow out parts. with mb as a tech over time you get to know good board's by there thickness and weight and the parts the vendor uses. some vendor like biosar to hit there low price there board dont have as many layers as a gigabyte or asus mb does. these boards have lots of flex and it not good for a mb or the trace lines inside to flex.when you look at a mb take a good look at the cooling of parts on the mb.good mb have heat sinks on most of the digital power reg of the mb and the main chipsets of the mb. good mb use high end caps to give the mb long life. also have to look at the placement of the pci slots and other slots and devices on the mb. some are well placed other are not. the higher end gaming mb most time will have the two video cards spaced out for 2 ways sli. some of the higher end boards do 3/4 ways sli and crossfire. most good video cards today use two slots. a board that built right wont have a pci slot next to the video card where it going to get blocked. with usb 3.0 out now the better mb have the slot on the edge of the mb and have adapters to go back to usb 2.0 mode. on your first build spend some extra money for a large size mid tower or full size case. it give you extra room for your hands and long video cards. some people use liquid coolers some use reg coolers like the evo 212.
the newer liquid coolers are almost silent. with cpu the 3570/3570k is the best bang for the buck, if you have a micro center near you then there the i7 3570 that are a good price per performance. there is a point that with a fast cpu the gpu going to bottleneck. it happens on the t and low power chips. the k line you can over clock them for free speed bump. also installing good name brand 1600 speed ram and a ssd will help a gaming system. also want use good fans and a fan controller...mb or an aftermarket one. 120mm fans or smaller running at full speed is not fun. turning a fan down to 300-800 rpm makes the fan almost silent. also the bigger the fan the slower the fan can run. when looking at cases look atthe nxt cases for how a good case is set up. has slot to work on cpu cooler if it fails..you can replace it without pulling the mb. also how the drive bays are placed. how the drives are locked in and that newer cases have both size hard drive trays built in. also look at the cases cable management..the good cases have very few wires that can get sucked into a fan or melt because there draped over the video cards.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 3:58:18 AM

Xttony said:
It is better to buy a prebuilt system than to buy components that are not compatible with each other.

It's better to get ripped off by $5-1000 and getting an unbalanced computer than to have to pay shipping a couple times? Besides, that's what they're on Tom's for; we can support them in figuring out either what will work well together or by giving them the closest to optimal build for a given price range as possible.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 4:10:51 AM

DarkSable said:
It's better to get ripped off by $5-1000 and getting an unbalanced computer than to have to pay shipping a couple times? Besides, that's what they're on Tom's for; we can support them in figuring out either what will work well together or by giving them the closest to optimal build for a given price range as possible.

I never said it is a good idea. And once again I am willing to assist him with the build.
m
l
January 25, 2013 7:27:32 AM

What would you guys recommend for me then for lets say 3 builds. This is so much info and i'm liking it. I dont think i'd go pre-built, i wouldnt mind waiting longer and learning more before getting into it.

1) If I am going for the highest end, money is no object, what board should I get? Also what features should I be looking for on a board. I see some with intergrated 8 channel audio and like 6 usb3.0 ports

2) If I am going good system with high end CPU what board should I get and what features am I looking for on the motherboard?

3) I want to only invest in a CPU and GPU and want to get a decent board. I hear asrock is good for this but what about like an ROG Gene? What features do i not get vs the upper 2?

Thanks for the willingness to help guys!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 10:16:11 AM

1. ASUS Rampage IV ROG $430
LGA 2011, X79, multiple pcie x16 slots, numerous USB 3 and Sata 3 ports, better cooling, 8 ram slots, etc.

Gigabyte Z77X UP7 $400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
LGA1155, Z77, multiple pcie slots, numerous USB and Sata 3 ports

2. Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 $270
LGA 1155, Z77,

3. ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 or ASRock Z77 Extreme 6

Less number of pcie, lan, USB and Sata ports. Lower quality heat sinks. Overall less upgrade options.
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 12:26:03 PM

when you get to gaming motherboard it comes down to the bling factor that the mb vendor looks to get people on sales.
i did this on the asus sabertooth z77 mb. nice looking mb with a thermal dust cover..paid the extra 40.00 for it. true gaming mb the good ones going to have the pci slots set up for 3 or 4 ways sli and have some extra open pci slots for wifi or have it built in.
if you look at the boards the ud3 is as you can see made for 2 way sli at most and still gives you some open slots for sound card or wifi. the high end gaming mb going to have the same parts on the mb but it tweeked for gamers and more then two video cards. with a gaming system and your build funds you have to think of what your looking to get out of the system for every $$.
there comes a point that adding more ram or another gpu wont help. look at the test bench set up most online testers use. (there i7 high end cpu) to keep the cpu from bottle necking the gpu. they also use very good power supply and they oversize the power supply to the test bed. with gpu it comes down to price/speed. look at the 680/670 cards. the 670 is only slightly slower then the 680 but has a better price point. you have to ask why people would by a 690 when it cheaper to pick up 2 670 gpu.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 4:40:03 PM

^Please don't buy the motherboard for the "thermal dust cover"... the sabertooth boards are a rip-off, as they're mid-level boards sold at high-level prices. (All the thermal dust cover does, as you'd imagine, is acts like insulation, making the board hotter.)
m
l
January 25, 2013 4:55:46 PM

If I am correct we are looking at more PCIe, SATA, USB, and quality heat sinks in the higher end and it just boils down from there?

And these higher end ones are more "Tuned" for gamers, can someone help me understand what could be tuned?

Side note: Geez did not know they had motherboards with more than 4 ram slots....
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 5:14:59 PM

mono when vendor build mb they have to know the voltage range that a cpu can put on the parts of the mb. if they dont put parts on that can handle the max plus voltage you end up with boards frying like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsrgdFmIWjs

retail main line boards will over clock...the gaming ones have bigger digital vrm and caps to handle more power and heat.
http://www.vortez.net/index.php?ct=articles&action=file...
http://198-101-235-107.static.cloud-ips.com/assets/1000...
look around the cpu on both mb you can see the g1 sniper the parts are thicker and more caps to handle harder over clocking load will place on a mb. you also need to read..look up to see if a vendor is having issues with there mb. all vendors at some point end up with a bad batch of products...could be bad parts ended into the supply chain. firmware or hardware bug on parts or the build qal of the parts was lacking. have to use the same reading on parts as you wont for a tv or car...have to look at reviews and statements from people that have bought the same product to see if the product is ok or a lemon. also have to see if the mb vendor is supporting there mb. some vendors like gigbyte and asus do a lot of driver and bios updates...other like msi and others may have one or two updates.
m
l
January 25, 2013 6:25:39 PM

bios updates are that important? so Gigabyte and asus are the brands to go with then because of this purpose?

Thanks for the info.

Are there specific features that you guys looking for that I may want to eventually start looking at?
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 7:40:24 PM

most new mb all are going to have pci 3.0 and usb 3.0 ports. it be the extra ports or features like asus usb flash back that are different. most times you want look for mb with two pci video slots that can run at 16x mode. if not then one at 16x mode and 2 at 8x mode for 1155. then look at the mb bios that they uses. asus has one of the simple efi bios. gig bios are made more for overclocking. myself i by a stock mb and toss in a good after market sound card and newer dual band wifi card.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wi-fi-802.11ac-rout...
also look at reviews for sealed water coolers..or large cpu metal coolers. the issue with large coolers is they can damage your mb if the system is moved a lot and pc is dropped. the extra weight can damage a mb if the case is bounced. for a first build i would use a larger case it give you extra room for cables and room to work in the case. on the server i built for a friend i used a fan controller and not the mb fan header..i could adjust the fans from off to full speed with a turn of a knob..some of them have thermal sensor to tell you the inside temp of the case. if you want blue/green or another color lights look for the newer led 1 and two meter strips from nxzt. i would also walk into a local best buy or computer store..take a look at screens. not all screens are the same. also take a look at speakers or head sets too there are few good sets that wont break the bank. some people if your home stereo near the pc people have plug the output of there pc into the surround sound system. with your new build also look into a good back up software and think about having one drive in a hot swap bay for back ups. if something happens to the pc you have a drive that you can pull and move. most bays are 19.00 part and your looking at 80-100.00 for a 1-2 tb sata drive.
m
l
January 25, 2013 7:56:51 PM

if a motherboard has an onboard dual band wifi and a "good" sound card on board, are those better feautres to look for?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 10:51:42 PM

Not really you can always get a nice wifi expansion card, and most motherboard come with 8 channel audio which is decent enough. Also just a good sound adapter/card is not enough. You need really good speakers to harness the quality.
m
l
January 25, 2013 11:47:43 PM

Is it safe to say then from a consensus of you guys that Gigabyte and Asus is the way to go as far as if i'm wanting updates? And asrock for low end? I looked up other brands, i have Biostar, and ECS. Are those any good?
m
l
January 25, 2013 11:51:31 PM

smorizio said:
with your new build also look into a good back up software and think about having one drive in a hot swap bay for back ups. if something happens to the pc you have a drive that you can pull and move. most bays are 19.00 part and your looking at 80-100.00 for a 1-2 tb sata drive.

Is this where having more SATA ports are important? Whats the difference between eSaTA and Sata and sata 2 vs 3 or something as such?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 12:05:53 AM

Having multiple SATA points is important if you want to have more hard drives plugged in. Each hard drive / SSD requires a SATA port on the mother board. You want a board with at least one sata 3 port if you're using an SSD; otherwise it doesn't matter.

Also, Gigabyte and AsRock are budget, but still very good - asus is the way to go if you want very high end. When you say updates, I presume you mean BIOS updates. That's really not that important.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 12:11:14 AM

Here... let me give you some rough advice.

If you want the maximum overclock possible, you want a $250 Asus Pro V.

If you're a normal person, you want a Gigabyte z77x-ud3h or an AsRock z77 Extreme4, both of which are about $150.

Stop worrying about things that don't matter, or if you are worried about them... stop and think for a moment. If you don't know why having more SATA ports would be wanted, look up what a SATA port is going to be connected to, and you'll find out that you don't need 8 of them when you're probably only going to have 2 or 3 drives.
m
l
January 26, 2013 12:16:42 AM

AsRock z77 Extreme4 seems to be pushed quite a bit. What makes this board so great?

I heard bios updates are important. I read reviews on other forums where they talk about bios for controlling ram or something and how the companies send them bios tweaks. I always thought bios were important, hence asus doing that whole flash back bios thing. I'm guessing this is only for overclocking?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 12:49:19 AM

ASRock extreme 4 gives a lot of features at a low price.

What exactly are your requirements on that PC?
Light aming, heavy gaming, multimedia, cad, designing, 3d modeling, tv, Internet, etc

Motherboards donot matter in most of these tasks, what matters most is the CPU, the gpu and ram. Sometimes hard drives also play an important role.

As long as bios is concerned I think that gigabyte is the best. I've had a lot of failed overclock attempts and my gigabyte board always reverted back to the original settings without even a bios reset. I guess it is due to dual bios. Also I like the qflash utility for bios update over ASUS bios update utility.

What most of us look on a motherboard is atleast 2 pcie x16 slot, one pci slots for old cards, dual bios, high ram frequency support
m
l
January 26, 2013 1:37:38 AM

Can u help define what is high ram frequency and why I need it? I'm going to be playing mostly CS source and go, sc2, league, and a few other games i have in steam like l4d, dirt, etc. Im playing on my macbook right now. I have a Nvidia gtx580 and an XFX proseries 1250 psu. figuring out the rest.

ASRock has what types of features at a low price that makes it so worth of all this feedback im reading on the forum?

I am seriously learning so much thank you all for your time!
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 1:52:20 AM

asrock was started by asus and now makes a lot of good low cost motherboard. bios updates are used for bug fixes and or new code for new cpu. depending on the age of the mb that ship to you it may or may not need an update. most updates if needed take less then 10 min to run. most new mb in the 150.00 price range will have two intel 6g sata. 4 3g sata intel ports and two 6g 3 party chipset. most people put the sd and there main drive on sata 6g intel port. the cd-rom burner or blue ray player drive would be on the 3g port. if you put in a back up drive you could place it on the slower 3g port or the 6g port.
http://www.asus.com/media/global/products/wMYmwl5uuG2ml...
on the edge of this mb you see 4 color coded ports. the ports are over/under each other. on this type of mb you would need sata cables with a straight end on one side. some mb have the ports facing straight up on the mb edge.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 1:53:45 AM

Ram frequency is the ram speeds at which it will work high frequency means a higher operating speed of ram.
ASRock has pcie x16 3, high ram frequency support, 8channel audio, many sta 3 and USB 3 ports. Better expansion options.
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 2:13:42 AM

it the speed that the ram runs at and it rated speed and voltage.
ddr-3 stock speeds are 1066/1333/1600/18xx/21xx/22xx.
it breaks down to 533/666.5/800/900/1050/1100. the sandy bridge cpu memory controller max rated ram was 1333 at 1.5v
the newer ib cpu max rated memory controller speed is 1600 at 1.5v you can run faster ram in overclock mode but if you burn out the cpu memory controller by overclocking it intel may not cover it. when you get to 1600 the 18-- ram is only 100-150 mHz faster so in real world your not going to see extra speed in games or apps for the extra money you would spend for faster ram.
most good stock 1600 ram going to have a timing of 9-9-9-9-x. there are to school of pc builders..ones that build a pc once with stock parts that leave there pc alone once it stable and leave it alone till it fails. then there are people that buy same parts and tweek them for max speed. sometime it takes a week or two to dial in a pc so that it stable in it over clock mode. msot times once that done if the parts are of good quality the over clock pc can last years. no depending on the over clock and heat and stress you can have parts fail before there time. myself im the builder that buys stock parts and leave them in there standard speed settings. most of the pc i built i handed down to other people or pulled parts from them and moved them over to newer mb and cpu. depending where you live and this is your main pc having a part fail and having a lot of down time may not be something you like or want. after 30 days you have to contact the vendor for an rma (return material authorization) you have to pay for the shipping of the bad part. some good vendors with a credit card will do a cross ship.
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:30:09 PM

Thank you all for the info. I believe I will go with the extreme 4. Im planning on 2 builds so this will be the start. On the lower end side I found another brand called Elitegroup. Anyone have any experience with those? Also i see Asus as a TUF, ROG, and Asrock, what are the differences?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 9:38:00 PM

Stay away from elitegroup unless you want fried computer parts for breakfast - the little I've heard about them are bad things.

As for Asus, they produce the TUF and ROG boards; these are various brands / lines of motherboard.

AsRock began as a subsidiary company of Asus whose job was to design better budget motherboards. They did an extremely good job of it, and split to become their own company.
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:39:33 PM

What causes a motherboard to fry? I'm guessing power surges? Can a faulty board than cause my other components like my CPU or graphics card to fry?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 9:49:39 PM

Bingo - the use of cheap voltage regulators and power phases means that you have irregular power flowing through your CPU - if it spikes too high, the CPU dies.

(The graphics card isn't going to fry from a bad motherboard nowadays, since they draw power directly from the power supply... which is part of the reason why you never want a cheap power supply.)
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 5:49:38 AM

take a look at some power supply test online(reviews). you tube videos. there been a few videos where the power supply under test load have taking out the power of a shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP8nFQYQW34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eagPjdk0IOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWt3St_MhSY
http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/psu_power_supplies/
the bad ones will pop a cap...if your unlucky they take your gaming rig with them. the silent killers are power supply or parts that under load or slightly over load other parts. as you can sdee on hardcp forum a lot of no name units fail under load or ripple out. the ones that ripple out will cuae bsod and lock ups.
m
l
January 30, 2013 9:52:15 PM

PSU wise I'm thinking of the seasonic modular ones cus I don't want cable clutter. They seem to have legit reviews.

So a question I pose now to all of you, I'm set on the ASROCK Extreme 4, but for my pimp rig, I want to get the best of the best which I'm thinking is going to be the ROG Rampage Extreme. Aside from what the features are specd on the board, if you had to put the features of your dream board down, what would it have? I focus on features because it seems to be what separates the wheat from the chaff.

PCIe - 4-5 slots
6 sata (2 sata 3 6gb, 4 sata 2 3gb 2 esata?)
4 slot ram with high frequency support
4 usb 3.0
dual band wifi
on board HDMI? --- is this if im not planning on running a graphics card or ?
8 channel sound
What else would make a board something to consider looking at?

I honestly don't want to be sucked into a "brand" war but it seems ASUS is the ish with support and quality, therefore not a brand but tried and true. Gigabyte is right there with MSI, ASrock and then you have other ones like EVGA, Biostar, saw some old ones by XFX, etc.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 12:11:03 AM

One of the best motrherboard you could find on a X79 chipset. you cannot go wrong with this board.

also seasonic is one the best brand for psu
m
l
January 31, 2013 12:19:08 AM

The XFX ones look much cooler and from what I read they are Seasonic? Does it matter then which i pick?

Also X79 chipset, so motherboards have a chip on board which controlls it all so the chipset refers to what chip is controlling the link between all the add ons?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 4:40:43 AM

Seasonic sells the PSU they make to different brands, and those brands stick their logo and sells them.
It doesnot matter which one you buy but I think the XFX one will be more expensive. Just make sure that it atleast is 80plus certified
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 7:59:35 AM

yes and no. to keep it simple with intel there three level of chipsets for there mb. there server line of chips (cxxx). the high end gaming chipset for the 2011 cpu. (x79) and the new z77 for the 1155 cpu. with the x79 mb you have to look at intel cpu for the 2011 cpu slot pins.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

the 2011 mb have more pci lanes then the 1155. the 1155 mb and cpu going to have better value on gaming rig.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire...
if your going to run wiht one high end card or two cards the 1155 mb are a better deal. if your going to do 3 or 4 way sli/crossfire then go with the 2011 mb.
look at toms monthly builds and some of the pre builds
and
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
look at toms and other pc tester game rigs. for the money you want to get the best power supply/mb/cpu combo. shortchaning yourself on the cpu can cause your high end gpu to bottleneck.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 8:59:34 AM

smorizio said:
yes and no. to keep it simple with intel there three level of chipsets for there mb. there server line of chips (cxxx). the high end gaming chipset for the 2011 cpu. (x79) and the new z77 for the 1155 cpu. with the x79 mb you have to look at intel cpu for the 2011 cpu slot pins.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

the 2011 mb have more pci lanes then the 1155. the 1155 mb and cpu going to have better value on gaming rig.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire...
if your going to run wiht one high end card or two cards the 1155 mb are a better deal. if your going to do 3 or 4 way sli/crossfire then go with the 2011 mb.
look at toms monthly builds and some of the pre builds
and
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
look at toms and other pc tester game rigs. for the money you want to get the best power supply/mb/cpu combo. shortchaning yourself on the cpu can cause your high end gpu to bottleneck.

Is z77 any better than X79 except for lower cost?
m
l
!