$1000 i5-2500K Gaming PC

oyog

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I don't have a whole lot of experience with building computers. Built the one I have five or six years ago and that's it. At this point I'm relatively sure this list is what I'm going with but I was interested in feedback on any compatibility issues I might have missed or not be aware of.

Approximate Purchase Date: This Week.

Budget Range:
~1000 (currently at 1017) before shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming, Media Center, Internet, VirtualDub occasionally.

Parts Not Required:
Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, HDD depending on feedback.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Newegg & Amazon

United States of America

Parts Preferences:
i5-2500K, NVidea Graphics card and Asus mobo but I'm open to alternatives.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments:
I'm going on the assumption that the heatsink won't be a problem with the case. I wasn't planning on overclocking so maybe the heatsink isn't necessary. I figured it's worth it for the sake of the CPU.

Should I go out of my way to buy a higher wattage or better reviewed PSU? Based on the eXtreme Power Supply calculator this seemed reasonable.

Finally, I have a Seagate Barracuda 400GB 7200rpm SATA from 2005 that I was planning on using, unless someone has a better suggestion. I haven't had any problems with the drive after five years so ideally I'd like to wait out the HDD price spike and install something new when prices drop.

Part List:
Case:
Antec 300 ATX mid tower.
PSU:
Rosewill RG530-S12 530W
Mobo:
Asus P8P67 DELUXE
CPU:
Intel i5-2500K
HeatSink:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Video Card:
EVGA GTX 560 Ti
HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 400GB 7200 SATA
Case Fans:
2 Rosewill 120mm blue LED fans for intake
1 Scythe "ULTRA KAZE" 120mm fan for exhaust

Additionally:
Windows 7 Home Premium
[strike]Arctic Silver 5[/strike]
Rosewill Anti-static wrist strap

Solution
Nope, stick 2500K. It'll have you set for years, and you can OC when you need to (do a little now). The 212+ is fine. You don't need the AS5 at all, though.

Skip Rosewill PSUs entirely. Get something from Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, XFX, Seasonic or OCZ.

Hold on to that HDD if at all possible, but GET A BACKUP if you don't have one.

I'm not sure where you're getting the $1017, as you don't have a GPU up :p
Seems to me you could probably fit a 570 in here.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
hi. nice build you got there, if you are not going to overclock then you can keep the stock heatskin and overclock just a little if you want ( 3 or 4 100mhz bins max) as for the psu you might need a higer wattage psu depending on the gpu you plan to install, i am guessing you will play @1080p so i will recomend you getting any gtx 560 (gtx560, gtx560ti or gtx 560ti 448 core)if you want nvidia but, the 6950 if also a really good card, get the 1GB version as it is the same or pay a little more for a the 2GB version and try your luck by trying to unlocked it to a 6970. That HDD is good, i wouldnt recomend you getting a HDD these days as the prices are too high and, at least for me, its not worth it, if i were you i will buy any 40GB+ SSD to compensate for storage speed.

motorneuron

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
If you're bothering with the core i5 2500k, I would recommend overclocking at least a little bit. It's not hard to do, the chip is designed for it, and everyone has great results. OTOH if you really aren't interested in overclocking, you can save a few bucks by going with the "vanilla" core i5-2400 (which can still usually be slightly overclocked, see http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267368-29-overclocking-corei5-2400 , and won't need a crazy heatsink setup to deal with it).

Nope, stick 2500K. It'll have you set for years, and you can OC when you need to (do a little now). The 212+ is fine. You don't need the AS5 at all, though.

Skip Rosewill PSUs entirely. Get something from Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, XFX, Seasonic or OCZ.

Hold on to that HDD if at all possible, but GET A BACKUP if you don't have one.

I'm not sure where you're getting the $1017, as you don't have a GPU up :p
Seems to me you could probably fit a 570 in here.

Solution

Zero_

Distinguished
Check the $1000 build on my sig. i5 2500K + HD6970 with a much better PSU. I'd say re-use the existing hard drive, and get a SSD if possible for around $90. Get GTX570 if you are partial towards Nvidia.

I would get a better brand psu for sure , Rosewill does not strike me as a quality psu provider and I'm sure that they are buying it from some cutrate supplier and putting thier name on it.

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048

I don't know what you have in mind for a video card so you could consider this one;

EVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores FTW 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130738

This card should allow you to play most games at reasonable settings , it is the new release from Nvidia that has 448 proccessor cores up from 336 in the regular 560Ti. It will allow you some time to save for another to SLI and then play at much higher settings.

oyog

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for the input guys, I'll have to check out these PSUs.

I have a 1TB iomega external that spends most of its time off, plus Dropbox for the really important stuff, for backup.

I actually have the GTX 560 Ti on my list but somehow I missed it in the OP, thus the $1017.

Oops. :ange:
-----

Ok, so I'm dropping the AS5, going with the Antec EA 650 Green and exchanging the 560 Ti for the 560 Ti 448 Core. I'm skipping the SDD for now and using the HDD I already have. I'll have to start looking into OCing guides for the 2500K.

Brings me to $1072 before shipping. Slightly over what I had planned but not above my limit. Awesome!