Upgrading memory is not working out for me :(

gamingnut

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I am trying to upgrade my ram, out with the old in with the new, and my computer is not booting up with the new ram. My set up is ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO mobo, OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ram, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor, and my new SAPPHIRE 100355OCL Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. Im trying to install new G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ram and I'm following all the basics... disconnect everything including the power, taking out the old memory, inserting the new memory, hooking everything back in, giving it power, turning it on... and it fires up but doesn't really do anything after that. I have already tired placing the memory in the different slots, only using one at a time, trying all individual slots, trying a1 and a2, b1 and b2, you get the point. Any ideas?

TDiT

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Have you tried clearing the CMOS and then putting the new RAM in? It might be the board is stuck at 1600MHz and wont "overclock" the newer RAM.

Does the system still work as intended with the older RAM?

If nothing else (after CMOS is cleared and still no go), my suspicion is the ram is simply bad, as it should be compatible.

gamingnut

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Yes my computer does fire up with the older ram. How do I clear the CMOS?

gamingnut

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Ok I found out how to clear the CMOS, did that. Still didn't fire up. Tried the new ram in a couple different slots, not every possible way but the basics. Got nothing. Put in the original old ram in the original place, fired right up to the main screen that shows after CMOS is cleared, checked BIOS setting and went right into gaming, no issues. Any other ideas before I go through the pain of RMA?

TDiT

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Try setting the BIOS to 1333 Mhz (DRAM multiplier option) with your old ram with something like 11-11-11-26 timings (advanced RAM settings). It should not complain. Then power off, bleed system power (pressing power button when unplugged), swap in your new RAM, plug it all back in, and see if it boots. If no, the ram is either no good, or incompatible. You don't have another DDR3 system to test with do you?

Getting faulty components happens to the best of us, where did you order from? If you can chat with a customer service rep, tell them you don't want to pay for return shipping and want a return label.

gamingnut

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Ok. did that tried the original slots and just for kicks tried other slots and one at a time.... nothing. Put the original ram back in the original slots fired up changed everything back to auto and everything looked great. I wish I could just find my original ram and just buy more of that but every where i look its discontinued. My next question is originally u stated that ram is compatible, which i thought too after research, and now u say i might not be or no good? I dont have another system to test these on but really after clearing the CMOS and manually setting the timings what else could it be other than compatibility or just bad ram?

ty again for your help with this the closer i get to acting quickly on rma or returning the better, with newegg i dont think ill have any problems

gamingnut

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

I'm still new to this and don't understand why this would matter, but I'm all for troubleshooting every possible situation and I did this with one original ram and tried each of the new rams and nothing...

gamingnut

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Also if i do return them should i RMA them for new ones, are they good ram for my settings as I plan on buying more to total 16g, or are there any suggestions out there for other ram with this board/setup?

TDiT

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Honestly, that ram should be fine for your board, as would just about any 1333/1600 MHz dual channel kit. "Compatibility" is not so much a given as it is an expectation, as the memory controller of the Phenom II is on-die (i.e. motherboard manufacturers don't have as much freedom to mess things up). If you aren't going to overclock (much over 1600 MHz is not going to yield tangible results), just look for 1333/1600 Mhz ram with tight memory timings such as the 8GB kit you bought (I believe 9-9-9-24).

If you want something with a bit of an "X" factor, there is this: Samsung Eco 30nm 2x4GB

With some work in your BIOS, a conservative 9-9-9-24 at 1600 MHz @ 1.35V should be possible with the Samsungs. Add two more sticks down the road, set up the timings, and you have 16GB.

Good luck!

gamingnut

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Got the new ram in, tested it out and still having issues. At this point I feel that it has to be something in the settings because I find it hard to believe I have gotten 2 sets of bad ram now. Any other ideas?