How to Improve Screen Resolution

archer_51

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hello,

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista. Now the resolution isnt as clear as before. I already set it to the maximum screen resolution which is 1024 x 768. How can I increase the resolution? It is an HP DV2700

Unless you have a very, very old monitor, 1024x768 should not be your maximum resolution. Odds are the problem is that you don't have the proper video drivers installed, and Windows is using a generic video driver, which tends not to allow for anything beyond lower resolutions. Download and install the Windows 7 drivers for your card, that should allow you to access higher resolutions. If that doesn't work, check with your monitor manufacturer for Windows 7 drivers for your display, sometimes the generic monitor driver that Windows provides won't work properly, and won't allow you to use higher resolutions.

archer_51

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
"Odds are the problem is that you don't have the proper video drivers installed, and Windows is using a generic video driver, which tends not to allow for anything beyond lower resolutions"

- This may be it, the laptop is just 2 years old. Is it ok if you give me some tips on how to download the best drivers for the video card, Im kinda new to this and have not tried downloading drivers yet

Since this is a laptop, your best option is to go to HP's website and look up your particular laptop. All the drivers should in the Support section. Hopefully HP has bothered to release Windows 7 drivers for your laptop, if they have not you can try to use the Vista drivers, often they can work on Windows 7. Make sure you get the right version though. If you have 32 bit Windows 7, get the 32 bit drivers, if you have 64 bit Windows 7, get the 64 bit drivers. Using 32 bit drivers on a 64 bit OS or vice versa will cause problems.

archer_51

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Yo Supernova!! I just finished downloding the driver from the HP site!! It worked, everything looks good, even me!! haha, this is the first time I accomplished something without going to a friend or a tech guy! Thank you so much for telling me to go to the hp site I woiuld have gone to the nvidia site instead. And I also tricked by clicking on the OS as vista not win 7, so the download went fine

Thanks Again!!!

Glad it's working. With laptops a lot of the device drivers are proprietary ones offered by the laptop manufacturer rather than the component manufacturer, so you have to look for driver updates from HP, rather than say nvidia. Quite often the drivers found on the nvidia website won't work properly on their laptop GPUs, not unless the laptop manufacturer has specifically arranged to have their laptop GPUs work with the GPU manufacturer's drivers.