Motherboard choice for i5-2500k

verst

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm building a new system that's primarily going to be used as a desktop computer with some minor AutoCAD use and drawing.
Firstly I need advice on the mobo. I've been looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512
but it's been receiving bad reviews lately so don't want to caught in a bad batch. UD3H model maybe?

Next one is Asus:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131773
What's the difference between this one and the LX model?

And I've seen that lots of people are recommending ASRock lately:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

Keeping in mind that budget is an issue which one would you recommend?

Next question is about the video card. Since it's not intended as a gaming system but would still like a somewhat capable card what would you recommend? I've been thinking about Radeon HD5670?

Thank you for any help...

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It might handle light gaming, but AutoCAD will chew it up and spit it out.

Go with the nVidia Quadro 295 - 139.99 These cards are designed specifically for workstation design programs just like Autocad.

As for motherboard, it doesn't matter. Go with the cheapest board you can find from a quality vendor. Really.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Well that's not what you said...in fact its the exact opposite.....

You're posts on these forums, from what I've seen, don't seem all that helpful or well informed. We're all by no means perfect, but if you don't understand something yourself, it's not much use advising someone else?

verst

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
That MSI board looks the best of the three you mentioned Adrian, but I can't find any reviews about it. Like the USB3.0 and SATA6Gb though. Does anybody have any more info about this board, is it a good/reliable purchase?
And yes, there is no need for a SLI/Crossfire capable mobo.

Even though price is a factor I don't want problems later on because skimping on the motherboard as I'm building this for someone else. So i don't mind paying couple of dollars extra for a brand name if it's worth it...

That card looks good a4mula but it's kinda pricey, was hoping for something sub-$100. 6770 can be found around $100 with rebates. Is there a large difference in performance between these?

Thanks for the response so far guys!

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

To be honest I have no idea. I do know the Quadro is designed specifically for production software and design software in particular. Might look into CUDA and see how much of a role it plays over AMD and consumer based gaming boards. Here's nVidia's splash page for Quadro.

With those things being said maybe a gaming board will work just as well. I don't know. I do know you don't want to stick with the onboard solution either way.

verst

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thx for the link a4mula, I'll look into it... don't think there is a much of a difference though...

Any thoughts on the motherboards? Can budget MSI motherboards be trusted?

Here is the whole config so you can comment on it:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15078271

Monitor, mouse and keyboard will be brought over from the previous build.
I know that case is missing but have to check on the size so I'll add that later.
2 HDD's are there because RAID is planned. Any chance that prices on these will go down any time soon?

Thx for the help guys!

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I'd have no problem using a MSI board personally, they have a great reputation. The only thing I'd suggest, and something you can't wishlist (or couldn't last year) would be to try to bundle some of your purchases for savings. You could get away with a 450w psu (AMD recommended) though the one you have selected is rock solid.

As far as the HDDs are concerned. Sadly it's being reported that we could face another 12 months of shortages so it's unlikely we'll see the prices drop anytime soon.

verst

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I plan to take advantage of Microcenter's 50$ off on motherboards if you buy a i5-2500k.
If anybody knows of any bundles on Newegg don't be shy ;)

Thx for the help and advice a4mula...

rvilkman

Distinguished
Unlikely you will get a better deal than $50 off from microcenter on cpu+mobo combos.

But for other components it's usually pretty easy to find combo's to save $10-20 here and there at newegg.

verst

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hi guys,

New question popped up :)
As circumstances would have it I'm forced to look at Gigabyte boards again (local Microcenter doesn't have MSI and they don't deliver to their stores).

Heard that a lot of people have been complaining lately about the boot loop on GB boards. Is this a real problem or just bad luck with some of the boards? Should I steer clear of GB for the time being?

Thx for the advice...

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
This will be the 2nd build cycle that I've steered away from Gigabyte for this exact reason. It's been going on since at least the P45 which was the last board I bought from them. Of course with that being said my current board, the Asus 55i Sabretooth, hangs during IDE detection. Quite annoying considering I purchased 2x SSD in RAID0 for the sole purpose of fast booting.

I'll be giving Asrock or MSI a shot this go around.

verst

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Shame about Gigabyte... from the motherboards available at the local Microcenter I believe I'll go with the ASRock Extreme 4 Gen3 as it costs less than the Asus Z68-V PRO/Gen3.

Thx again for all the advice...