Alienware Thermal Vents

chiropractor345

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hello, I have a question regarding the latest model of Alienware desktops. I am designing a completely custom case for a college course. I had the idea of fins on the top of the case that would open and close, very similar to the alienware design. However, I do not have a case on hand to look at. Does anybody with (or without) a new alienware case have any insight into how the vents are powered. Is each fan powered individually, they are connected by a pulley etc..

Pics would be lovely, but words are great too. My current plan would be to implement a pulley system, but if people have other ideas, im welcome to those as well.

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
the most logical approach is to have a single servo on one fin, and have the power distributed to the others via small rods that pivot at each end, much like a car's AC vent.
car9se9.jpg

on the far left, see the little rods in the back? as the center fin is moved, the others move in sync.

Hey no problem. I just wish I had the inclination/know how to do a mod like that.

Edit: If you ever get it going - maybe you could post your mod here in the future? That would be really cool and probably help a lot of people who want to try something like this. Maybe even a little build guide or something.

chiropractor345

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I'd be happy too. I am starting this project for a Computer Aided Design course at school, so I will be starting with just creating a computer model (I will post pictures when it is completed). Then hopefully I can start over the summer. I will be relying on some of the machines at school however, so It wont be finished until i can return to school next fall.