Bad Luck or Electrical Problem?

gamer128

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
So last year my laptop's power supply started buzzing and so we just went to the laptop's website (HP) and purchased a new one exactly like the current one as the laptop had just ran out of warranty. So we replaced it and everything went on normally. Then I built a gaming PC at the beginning of the year with these parts:

Antec Earthwatts 650 (Green One) PSU
Gigabyte GTX 560ti Stock Settings
i5 2500k Stock Heatsink/Settings
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
HAF 912 Case
AsRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Motherboard
8 Gigabytes 1600 MHz RAM

Two weeks ago I started hearing a buzzing noise coming from the power supply. I was about to RMA it but wanted to be sure it was indeed the PSU. So I waited for it to happen again but it never did. It finally did it again last week and I found out it was again my laptop's power supply sitting right beside it. *Phew* Well just now as I took off my headphones I heard an even louder buzzing noise coming from my computers power supply again. I made sure my laptop's was unplugged while we are getting it replaced and it was. This time I was SURE it was coming from the power supply in my desktop.

So could it be an electrical issue in the house? I have everything plugged up to an extension cord or whatever you call it that has a surge protector. Am I just having bad luck? I also noticed Antec replaces a RMA item with a "refurbished" item which scares me. What should I do?

trimlink

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Have you tried a different surge protector, a different outlet, I know I have several that don't work correctly. Have you tried one plugged into the wall and one into the strip and vice versa? Have you had both of them tested locally at an electronics shop with a multimeter, most places will do this for free. What kind of stress are you putting on the PSU? Heavy gaming with maximum settings for hours on end?

gamer128

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
When my laptop's power supply crapped out the first time I was using a different surge protector but I have no tried a different outlet. I'm going to try plugging it directly into the wall and see what happens. I mean it doesn't do it often at all. I will have my grandpa come down as he has a multimeter that can test it. Today when it started doing it I was playing the Diablo 3 beta for about an hour and a half on max settings and then when I stopped I noticed the buzzing noise. I had just started up the PC too.

gamer128

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I am sorry to necro this thread. It is just that this problem happens so randomly that creating a new one would solve nothing as I would have to explain the above.

The buzzing started happening again in my desktop PSU. I was just surfing the web and I realized that my mouse had started acting weirdly by seeming to lag up and seem to be disconnected. I made sure it had full batteries and drivers were installed as it has done this before. I have also plugged it into different plugs. It does this maybe once or twice a month. So I changed the batteries again and started playing Skyrim. The mouse got so bad that I decided to restart my PC. The whole time my keyboard works fine. I have also tried using three different mouses. Anyway, I restart my PC and then notice the buzzing noise at the windows profile login screen. I log in and it stops. Maybe a couple seconds after loading up windows it starts back again along with the mouse issues.

The mouse issues have happened before but maybe it is connected somehow with the buzzing noise in the PSU? I was trying out a different surge protector to see if that was the issue but it wasn't. I might try a whole different plug.

I also want to see if any of you can confirm it isn't an electrical issue in my mouse. On the same surge protector and plug I have an xbox 360 plugged in along with the power supply. I have never had it's power supply mess up or make any noises and I have had it since 2007.

Is it safe to assume it isn't an issue with electrical then? Maybe just bad luck? Can anyone shed some light on this?