Sign in with
Your question

Memtest works on GPU memory?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 25, 2013 10:20:22 AM

Today i was upgrading my AMD drivers n in the end the PC had a crash... I reset the PC n it showed a blue screen. I had this kind of blue screens before n used memtest to find the issue,n back then the software gave me a lot of errors,the problem was faulty RAM. So,i used this time memtest to,n gave me errors as well... But before check the memory slots or restore my CPU to an earlier time,i removed the AMD drivers n installed new ones,i reset the CPU n windows started to check my HDDs for errors... After that i tried memtest once more n not a single error this time...

I presume that the problem was with the AMD drivers... But what do you people say about it?!

Thanks for any support! ;) 
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 10:48:20 AM

Memtest tests RAM only. It is impossible that reinstalling the graphics drivers solved the problem. You had to do something else, like reduce CPU and memory OC to stock values...
What do you mean by 'I reset the CPU' ? :) 
January 25, 2013 10:55:48 AM

Bejusek said:
Memtest tests RAM only. It is impossible that reinstalling the graphics drivers solved the problem. You had to do something else, like reduce CPU and memory OC to stock values...
What do you mean by 'I reset the CPU' ? :) 

What I meant to say was that i reboot my PC...
N after that "CHKDSK" started to run... saying something was wrongs w/ one of my HDDs... Before all that i used memtest n not a single error. The problem is that i can't have sure if the issue is fixed for good! xD

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 11:18:34 AM

Memtest doesn't fix errors, any errors you had, you still have. If the problem is severe enough to give you blue screens you need to buy new ram. You could try checking for dust in the socket but thats unlikely.

Next time you get a blue screen write down the error code. For now you can use Bluescreenviewr to view your logs and see what the problem is. Also since chkdsk started up I would run a scan with something like hdTUNE
January 25, 2013 11:21:40 AM

mouse24 said:
Memtest doesn't fix errors, any errors you had, you still have. If the problem is severe enough to give you blue screens you need to buy new ram. You could try checking for dust in the socket but thats unlikely.

Next time you get a blue screen write down the error code. For now you can use Bluescreenviewr to view your logs and see what the problem is. Also since chkdsk started up I would run a scan with something like hdTUNE

The error message that memtest gave me was this:

"Memory Error detected! Copying between 85875 and 85856 did not result in accurate copy.

Memtest has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in RAM.
You need to fix this."
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2013 11:25:07 AM

WolfXll said:
The error message that memtest gave me was this:

"Memory Error detected! Copying between 85875 and 85856 did not result in accurate copy.

Memtest has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in RAM.
You need to fix this."

Can't say thats a good sign. Still suggest checking your other components also. That ram looks like it needs replacing, is it new?
January 25, 2013 11:33:19 AM

mouse24 said:
Can't say thats a good sign. Still suggest checking your other components also. That ram looks like it needs replacing, is it new?

I think so,cause i didn't bought it on a physical store,was on eBay n the member described the item as "new" n had good feedback too! ...
I decided to built/upgrade my PC on 2011 because a friend told me that it could be less expensive,n on eBay they had some components w/ prices better than some physical stores here...
January 25, 2013 11:51:23 AM

I suspect your RAM is bad. Try running memtest overnight--some errors might not show up until the memory gets to a certain temperature.
January 25, 2013 11:59:45 AM

woodflute said:
I suspect your RAM is bad. Try running memtest overnight--some errors might not show up until the memory gets to a certain temperature.

Yes,i will try to use memtest again,this time till the percentage reaches to 100% n w/ multiple instances of MemTest to have more probability of find something!
I will try to use some software to benchmark n stress my RAM too,like Futuremark maybe!
January 27, 2013 2:58:44 PM

I used to run a version of memtest that was a single file similar to a chip... A friend told me that this software was not good,n told me to try memtest86 (cd boot)...
I used it,n from my two memory sticks one passed on the 11 tests,the other started from the beginning giving me errors. The problem is that,the one that passed,if i don't close the mem during the 1st secs after the 11tests,i can't exit from the keyboard anymore,n star to giving me memory errors... So,i'm confused now... It passed or don'rt passed at all!? :/ 
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 10:34:37 PM

If it starts giving errors after a certain point then it didn't pass and the ram needs replaced. You should probably check to see what stick(s) is giving the errors and simply take that one out until you can grab a new kit.

It might also be beneficial to test sticks individually and see which ones fail.
January 28, 2013 8:20:02 PM

If a memory stick ever gives errors, it has not passed. If I understand correctly what you have posted, it sounds to me like both your RAM sticks are bad.
January 29, 2013 9:38:48 AM

woodflute said:
If a memory stick ever gives errors, it has not passed. If I understand correctly what you have posted, it sounds to me like both your RAM sticks are bad.

Yes,i think that too,mate!
I already have 100% sure that one of the two sticks are bad,but the other one i can't tell cause w/ the windows memory tools app from my windows 7,it says that the memory is fine n memtest86 gave me too the same answer,all fine w/ the 2nd stick
I even left memtest86 running 3x the whole 11tests n all good...
The problem is that a day before,that same stick gave me multiple errors when i tried to "ESC/EXIT" after a well passed test... couldn't exit,the keyboard was kind of "frozen" n the errors begun... aside from that,there's no errors or blue screens... none from memtest86 or windows memory tools either!

PS: Pardon me if i can't make myself clear enough,my english are a little rusty! xD

Well,both or just one,i think we already reached to the problem... faulty ram!
January 29, 2013 3:32:56 PM

For the sake of thoroughness, I should add this: there are a few situations I am aware of where RAM that was actually good might test faulty.

If you had a bad connection during the first test because of dust or having physically jarred the equipment, the RAM might test faulty until it was reseated. If it passes multiple memtest86 passes after being reseated, that RAM stick may be ok.

Also, it is possible--but not common--to have good RAM but a failed or failing RAM slot on the motherboard. Unfortunately, when this does happen, there is no fix except replacing the motherboard.

I feel pretty safe in saying, though, that it's pretty safe to assume that RAM that tests bad both before and after being reseated is actually bad.

Note: never reseat RAM or any component or cable with the power on, of course. Such activities should only be done while the system is turned off and the power cord is unplugged.
!