Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GT4 on HDTV vs SDTV

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 28, 2005 9:38:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Is it just me or do others prefer playing GT4 on a standard television (480i
and/or 480p) versus on an HDTV (1080i)?

I know that graphics don't make gameplay in itself, but one of GT's main
features has always been it's eye candy.

I find that on a standard TV, GT4 looks damn near photo realistic -- but on
an HDTV all the imperfections become noticable. Also noticable is the
"jaggedness" of lines and aliasing. Basically, an HDTV's resolution is just
too damn good for the textures used in the game. Even at 480i or 480p,
the imperfections are still noticable on an HDTV. It looks absolutetly
incredible on a standard TV though. Its almost as if it were developed to
take advantage of the artifacting of standard TV and the translation is lost
on an HDTV. It can, somewhat, be offset by playing with various settings
(sharpness and such) but still leaves a lot to be desired.

In addition to the PS2, my XBox and GC are also both hooked up directly to
my HDTV. (Each are using their own component cables and are directly
connected to the HDTV.) I find the same to hold true with XBox and GC games
as well -- games that strive to photo real break down in HD. This is just
the limitation of all three consoles.

Games that don't strive to be photo realistic, however, look much more
incredible on an HDTV though. I.e., the GC's "Soul Calibur" and "F-Zero"
(which are anime cartoonish anyway) are awesome at 480p (on an HDTV).

I'm thinking about checking out some standard TV's that are capable of 480p
(EDTV) to use for all three consoles and just use the HDTV for television
(HD cable). These, even 16:9's, are becoming pretty cheap. For this
generation of consoles, it seems that the "best fit" would be a 16:9 EDTV.

Cheers,
-Eric

More about : gt4 hdtv sdtv

April 29, 2005 2:44:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <Sc9ce.13832$dh.13795@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>, "Eric" <nospam@nospam.not> wrote:
>Is it just me or do others prefer playing GT4 on a standard television (480i
>and/or 480p) versus on an HDTV (1080i)?

Interesting thoughts. I play GT4 on a 50" WS HDTV. I use 480p
mode as I prefer it marginally to the 1080i and significantly over
the 480i. But I haven't tried it on a lesser TV or lower quality
input.

I do know that GT3 suffered greatly moving from my old 27" std TV
to the 50". I assumed it was just due to the larger size making
the shortcomings more obvious. But yes, it is quite possible that
the std TV's fuzziness helped blend out the jaggies too. As for
PGR2 and the XBOX, I think it holds up quite well on the 50"
screen.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:08:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Eric" <nospam@nospam.not> wrote in message
news:Sc9ce.13832$dh.13795@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...
> Is it just me or do others prefer playing GT4 on a standard television
> (480i
> and/or 480p) versus on an HDTV (1080i)?
>
> I know that graphics don't make gameplay in itself, but one of GT's main
> features has always been it's eye candy.
>
> I find that on a standard TV, GT4 looks damn near photo realistic -- but
> on
> an HDTV all the imperfections become noticable. Also noticable is the
> "jaggedness" of lines and aliasing. Basically, an HDTV's resolution is
> just
> too damn good for the textures used in the game. Even at 480i or 480p,
> the imperfections are still noticable on an HDTV. It looks absolutetly
> incredible on a standard TV though. Its almost as if it were developed to
> take advantage of the artifacting of standard TV and the translation is
> lost
> on an HDTV. It can, somewhat, be offset by playing with various settings
> (sharpness and such) but still leaves a lot to be desired.
>
> In addition to the PS2, my XBox and GC are also both hooked up directly to
> my HDTV. (Each are using their own component cables and are directly
> connected to the HDTV.) I find the same to hold true with XBox and GC
> games
> as well -- games that strive to photo real break down in HD. This is just
> the limitation of all three consoles.
>
> Games that don't strive to be photo realistic, however, look much more
> incredible on an HDTV though. I.e., the GC's "Soul Calibur" and "F-Zero"
> (which are anime cartoonish anyway) are awesome at 480p (on an HDTV).
>
> I'm thinking about checking out some standard TV's that are capable of
> 480p
> (EDTV) to use for all three consoles and just use the HDTV for television
> (HD cable). These, even 16:9's, are becoming pretty cheap. For this
> generation of consoles, it seems that the "best fit" would be a 16:9 EDTV.
>
> Cheers,
> -Eric
>
There are many people like you that don't like the new "clarity" that HDTV
brings. I suppose I have gotten used to the look as I much prefer 480p over
480i.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com
Related resources
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:58:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

my gt4 in 1080 looks much better on my projector than 480 !!



"Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:9Ggce.31586$h6.10494@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> "Eric" <nospam@nospam.not> wrote in message
> news:Sc9ce.13832$dh.13795@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...
> > Is it just me or do others prefer playing GT4 on a standard television
> > (480i
> > and/or 480p) versus on an HDTV (1080i)?
> >
> > I know that graphics don't make gameplay in itself, but one of GT's main
> > features has always been it's eye candy.
> >
> > I find that on a standard TV, GT4 looks damn near photo realistic -- but
> > on
> > an HDTV all the imperfections become noticable. Also noticable is the
> > "jaggedness" of lines and aliasing. Basically, an HDTV's resolution is
> > just
> > too damn good for the textures used in the game. Even at 480i or
480p,
> > the imperfections are still noticable on an HDTV. It looks absolutetly
> > incredible on a standard TV though. Its almost as if it were developed
to
> > take advantage of the artifacting of standard TV and the translation is
> > lost
> > on an HDTV. It can, somewhat, be offset by playing with various
settings
> > (sharpness and such) but still leaves a lot to be desired.
> >
> > In addition to the PS2, my XBox and GC are also both hooked up directly
to
> > my HDTV. (Each are using their own component cables and are directly
> > connected to the HDTV.) I find the same to hold true with XBox and GC
> > games
> > as well -- games that strive to photo real break down in HD. This is
just
> > the limitation of all three consoles.
> >
> > Games that don't strive to be photo realistic, however, look much more
> > incredible on an HDTV though. I.e., the GC's "Soul Calibur" and
"F-Zero"
> > (which are anime cartoonish anyway) are awesome at 480p (on an HDTV).
> >
> > I'm thinking about checking out some standard TV's that are capable of
> > 480p
> > (EDTV) to use for all three consoles and just use the HDTV for
television
> > (HD cable). These, even 16:9's, are becoming pretty cheap. For this
> > generation of consoles, it seems that the "best fit" would be a 16:9
EDTV.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Eric
> >
> There are many people like you that don't like the new "clarity" that HDTV
> brings. I suppose I have gotten used to the look as I much prefer 480p
over
> 480i.
>
> HDTV games lists and discussions
> http://www.hdtvarcade.com
>
>
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:12:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

It's a resolution thing...wait 'till next gen consoles ( I hope) to
take advantage to higher resolution on HDTVs.
May 10, 2005 1:14:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

standard_63 wrote:
> It's a resolution thing...wait 'till next gen consoles ( I hope) to
> take advantage to higher resolution on HDTVs.
>

where you configure it? is available for PAL?
!