Will more RAM speed up pictures show ?

G

Hi ! I have many pictures (about 50 to 85 Kb each) in my HD.
I use Windows Explorer (with Shift or Ctrl key pressed) to select them and then double click to open about 50 of them. The first 50 to 100 pictures open immediately in an Internet Explorer window. The next 50 to 100 open more slowly. The next even more slowly and start opening many different IE windows. If I insist trying to open more pictures I will not get any more or a blank window ! If I reset the computer it will start fresh again but will become "tired" again !
I am almost sure this is a memory problem but I do not know if I should add more RAM or install a diferent video card (with more than the 4 Mb memory I got).
Thanks for any help !
My hardware is: Celeron 500 / Asus P3W / 64 RAM / Quantum 10 Gb HD / 4 Mb video on board ( Intel chipset 810). Windows 98 SE.

G

before i answer your question, i have a question for you.....why the hell would you open all these pictures at once???????

but anyway - more ram would speed up your massive picture opening needs. 64mb isn't enough today and i would recommend 256 (or at least 128).

Im really to tired to go into why it would be faster, but im sure that someone else will.

G

I help in my school class newspaper. I check my HD to find out pictures related to the subject. I open them as described above. They are not indexed by subject or named, or numbered, etc. Doing the way I do it will open one IE window and I use the back or forward key to choose them. This way I will check size, resolution, etc. This is the way I do. Is there a better or easier way ? I have downloaded and sometimes use the IrfanView software. It is great to open many pictures both thumbnail or full size very fast and it seems to manage better my computer memory because it never "complains" or get "tired" and slow when I use this software. But unfortunatelly it changes (degrade) the picture actual resolution and I have to open on IE to be sure if I can really use it. So I dont use it often.

G

When you have 64 m, then win uses about 20M of that, then the vid card takes 4M, the Wallpaper you probably are running could be up to 15M as well, which eats into your 64 real quick, by the time you load IE you are running out of space, go for 124, it will make a big diff, then you can have as many piccies open as you like

G

Thanks garf and to others that took the time to help !
I have no wallpaper.I downloaded from Tucows and I am using a software called FreeMem supposed to manage the system memory and free more memory. But really I did not notice any differance.
By your info so far it seems I do not need a new video card but only more RAM. I wiil do it. But will a 8 or 16 MB video card (PCI in my case due to the P3W MoBo) also make a lot of improvement ? What you think? Thanks again.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
You need to go about this in a logical manner, having over 200 I.E. windows open is not logical.

Get yourself some image catalog software for pete's sake!

G

But I do not have 200 IE windows opened (at least at the begining of the session). When I select 50 or 100 pics in Windows Explorer and double click it will open a single (just one !!) IE window with the pics I have select (showing one by one !!) I use back and forward keys to see them all. The problem I asked for help is: It is OK the first or second time I do it but the computer becomes slowly more and more to the point it will not open any pic at all. Please read my first post. Thanks.

G

Yes, more memory will help. The computer starts to slow because you used all available RAM, and now are having to use Virtual Memory, your hard disk acting as memory space, to open the rest of the data. A way to tell would be to open Windows Resource manager, it may not be installed but can be added though Windows Setup under Add/Remove programs, to find out just how much memory is being used. Chances are that it is using all and more than 64mb. Try adding 64mb, as opening all pics at once comsumes memory, even though you don't see but one pic at a time, it still loads all images in cache, or memory.

G

Dosent matter dude, If you have opened them, and have them on the space bar they are still using the same amount of resources is if you had it open on the screen, so although you may only be looking at one at a time, the computer still treats them as all being open

G

Why not just sort them by type once and then be done with it? Just set up category folders and drag them where they go.

Otherwise, the best option is to get some image catalog software. There are lots of programs available which do a good job.

RAM might help, or if you're closing, opening, closing, opening and your memory is still getting bogged down, maybe it is time to move from Win 9x to Win 2000.

G

Thanks to all !!!
But when I start opening the pics I work with a single IE window. THERE NOT other windows opened in the task bar !!
This happens only latter on. Baut thanks again !!

TRENDING THREADS