Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX 4100

Last response: in CPUs
March 19, 2012 8:12:47 PM

I think I have a problem with AMD FX 4100 ( 4x 3.6ghz , 12M) Everywhere I read it says that the temperature never goes over 60-70C even i read that someone Overclocked it to 4.6ghz and says the temp were about 40 (the max temp)!

Mine goes over 70 to 78C without overclocking just hard gaming ... is that normal? What if I try to clock it? What would the problem be here.. when everybody says the normal temps are lower...

More about : amd 4100

March 19, 2012 8:48:52 PM

raddybt said:
I think I have a problem with AMD FX 4100 ( 4x 3.6ghz , 12M) Everywhere I read it says that the temperature never goes over 60-70C even i read that someone Overclocked it to 4.6ghz and says the temp were about 40 (the max temp)!

Mine goes over 70 to 78C without overclocking just hard gaming ... is that normal? What if I try to clock it? What would the problem be here.. when everybody says the normal temps are lower...

Your temps really should be lower. Check to make sure the fan is operating how it should and is actually spinning up to keep temps down. If the fan is working to its best, you need to check the seating and thermal paste applied. Too much thermal paste and too little is bad. If the cpu isn't covered well due to not being given enough pressure when applying that could be an issue as well.
March 19, 2012 8:58:24 PM

Thank you!
I think the fan is okay its spinning at least... monitoring says its spining with 4000RPS so i guess thats not the problem? Im not sure if u can believe the monitoring though cause i had problems with it last time i did a stress test with PRIME95 and it was showing 0 CPU temp and -2 motherboard, haha! Now when i do stress tests everything is okay... or at least it seem so...
Anyway the temps are this way since i bought the CPU i just didn't new the temps were too high... so I'll check the Termal Paste. How much there should be...
Related resources
March 19, 2012 9:00:18 PM

Is it a stock AMD cooler? or an aftermarket one?
March 19, 2012 9:03:13 PM

Its the stock cooler.
March 19, 2012 9:11:38 PM

raddybt said:
Thank you!
I think the fan is okay its spinning at least... monitoring says its spining with 4000RPS so i guess thats not the problem? Im not sure if u can believe the monitoring though cause i had problems with it last time i did a stress test with PRIME95 and it was showing 0 CPU temp and -2 motherboard, haha! Now when i do stress tests everything is okay... or at least it seem so...
Anyway the temps are this way since i bought the CPU i just didn't new the temps were too high... so I'll check the Termal Paste. How much there should be...

What are you using to read temps? Some software will give wrong info. Try CPUID's hardware monitor and Speedfan.
Your fan speed is running correctly. It comes down to what your cpu voltage is set to and/or the thermal paste. If you have more thermal paste to apply after removing the heatsink I'd suggest removing it and checking to see the coverage and posting a picture for us to tell you how well it was applied.

Even the stock hsf should be enough for stock clocks and voltage. Stock fan shouldn't be getting higher than 65-70C and that's in a hot room (80f is hot for a bedroom in my opinion) realistically you should be seeing 60C as a prime95 max at stock.
March 19, 2012 9:12:42 PM

Any overclock?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 19, 2012 9:26:49 PM

Try another software.

If temps are still high, reinstall the fan with new thermal paste if you can.
March 19, 2012 9:29:49 PM

omega21xx said:
What are you using to read temps? Some software will give wrong info. Try CPUID's hardware monitor and Speedfan.
Your fan speed is running correctly. It comes down to what your cpu voltage is set to and/or the thermal paste. If you have more thermal paste to apply after removing the heatsink I'd suggest removing it and checking to see the coverage and posting a picture for us to tell you how well it was applied.

Even the stock hsf should be enough for stock clocks and voltage. Stock fan shouldn't be getting higher than 65-70C and that's in a hot room (80f is hot for a bedroom in my opinion) realistically you should be seeing 60C as a prime95 max at stock.

Both Asrock Extreme Tuner and hardware monitor show 49C now at the moment (at idle state) With Prime95 we'll go to 72-3C at least
I haven't touched the voltages they are normal I think.. I dont have any Termal Paste so that means i better not take off the heatsink?

At 4000mhz clock it went to 82C ... so i stopped and put it back to normal 3.6ghz ...these temps are with no overclocking..
March 19, 2012 9:40:41 PM

raddybt said:
Both Asrock Extreme Tuner and hardware monitor show 49C now at the moment (at idle state) With Prime95 we'll go to 72-3C at least
I haven't touched the voltages they are normal I think.. I dont have any Termal Paste so that means i better not take off the heatsink?

At 4000mhz clock it went to 82C ... so i stopped and put it back to normal 3.6ghz ...these temps are with no overclocking..

What is the temp of the room the computer is in? If your voltage is on auto let us know what vcore reading is at max under hardware monitor.

If all these check out, you'll need to reseat the heatsink/fan.
March 19, 2012 10:05:36 PM

This is all the monitoring... hope it helps
March 19, 2012 10:13:06 PM

raddybt said:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15x30i&s=5

This is all the monitoring... hope it helps

Everything looks good aside from temps and the voltage on the CPU NB. It shouldn't be at 1.55 it should be around 1.2-1.3 if i remember correctly... I know my CPU NB on phenom II ran at 1.2v
March 19, 2012 10:25:46 PM

So this means the only thing left is the termal paste and the heatsink ?
March 19, 2012 10:34:02 PM

raddybt said:
So this means the only thing left is the termal paste and the heatsink ?

Yes and no. Your first major problem is the CPU NB voltage reading as 1.55. If you enter bios, what does it have your CPU NB voltage at? 1.55 isn't safe, there is little need to have it past 1.4v even if you are overclocking. Set your CPU NB voltage at 1.3 and see if that helps your temps. I'm sure it will.
March 19, 2012 10:46:58 PM

So.. i entered the BIOS and it says:
CPU Voltage 1.4125
CPU NB voltage 1.2500
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 10:51:41 PM

I have an FX series chip and my CPU NB is stock at 1.10, i have a mild overclock on the NB (2000mhz stock i put it at 2250mhz) and at 2250mhz I run my CPU NB voltage at 1.185. If your NB is stock i would suggest moving it down between 1.1 and 1.2.
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 10:53:46 PM

also stock voltage for my FX-6100 was 1.225, I have it overclocked from 3.3ghz to 4.55 ghz currently and my CPU voltage is 1.375. Try either setting your CPU voltage to auto or if it is on auto already and running that high then manually put it down to 1.30. When I put my CPU voltage over 1.4 my temps go through the roof and I have a Zalman 9900MAX 135mm cooler.
March 19, 2012 10:58:30 PM

You talking about the NB CPU voltage ? (which is 1.2500) or CPU voltage (1.4125) ?
March 19, 2012 11:02:35 PM

stickg1 said:
I have an FX series chip and my CPU NB is stock at 1.10, i have a mild overclock on the NB (2000mhz stock i put it at 2250mhz) and at 2250mhz I run my CPU NB voltage at 1.185. If your NB is stock i would suggest moving it down between 1.1 and 1.2.

Thanks :)  I had a phenom II, overclocking between FX and phenom II is pretty similar so I knew 1.55 was way too high just didn't know FX stock.

@raddybt

There should be a CPU NB voltage and a NB voltage. NB voltage should be around 1.1-1.2 and CPU NB voltage shouldn't exceed 1.3-1.4 as it can take about as much voltage as the CPU can safely.

You can also undervolt that CPU by quite a bit. Undervolting is safe and will give you better temps. 1.3 should be stable and 1.2 is possible if you don't mind doing some stress testing to prove stability.

I would also suggest reseating the heatsink if you have thermal paste to apply. If not under volt the CPU voltage as much as you can :) 
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 11:05:08 PM

raddybt said:
You talking about the NB CPU voltage ? (which is 1.2500) or CPU voltage (1.4125) ?

You NB CPU voltage and your CPU voltage are high for stock, try NB CPU: 1.15 and CPU: 1.3
March 19, 2012 11:06:16 PM

raddybt said:

He's saying to turn the 1.4125 to something like 1.3. That should shave at least 5-10C off your temps. Your CPU NB could go down to 1.2 instead of 1.2500.
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 11:14:22 PM

Ok raddybt, for the sole purpose of troubleshooting your problem I have reset my BIOS to default, and here's what I have:

NB Voltage: 1.100v
CPU NB Voltage: 1.750v
CPU Voltage: 1.225v

Try these, I also have an FX cpu and these should be stock settings for it.
March 19, 2012 11:18:22 PM

stickg1 said:
Ok raddybt, for the sole purpose of troubleshooting your problem I have reset my BIOS to default, and here's what I have:

NB Voltage: 1.100v
CPU NB Voltage: 1.750v
CPU Voltage: 1.225v

Try these, I also have an FX cpu and these should be stock settings for it.

Different boards give different default settings. I also wouldn't trust my CPU NB voltage at 1.75v. That could at the very least make the heat problem worse for him, at worst destroy the chip (you sure that wasn't a typo?).
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 11:23:30 PM

omega21xx said:
Different boards give different default settings. I also wouldn't trust my CPU NB voltage at 1.75v. That could at the very least make the heat problem worse for him, at worst destroy the chip (you sure that wasn't a typo?).

YES! OMG YES! TYPO!!!!

Pls dont set to 1.75, i meant 1.175. Holy crap I hope he didnt do that, I will be really upset with myself if he fries his chip. Sorry buddy i meant 1.175
March 19, 2012 11:24:45 PM

Okay guys I did some stress testing and we have a 8C reduction max was 78 with prime now it is 70C

CPU voltage is 1.3000
CPU NB voltage is 1.2000

Now what do i do.. reduce the voltages more?
stickg1 - Don't worry i knew something was wrong so i didn't put it that high, haha im not that stupid.
PS. Thanks all for trying to help I really appreciate it!
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 11:31:49 PM

raddybt said:
Okay guys I did some stress testing and we have a 8C reduction max was 78 with prime now it is 70C

CPU voltage is 1.3000
CPU NB voltage is 1.2000

Now what do i do.. reduce the voltages more?
stickg1 - Don't worry i knew something was wrong so i didn't put it that high, haha im not that stupid.
PS. Thanks all for trying to help I really appreciate it!

Lol, PHEW! Yeh I would try to bring it down some more, undervolt until you freeze at windows startup and then volt up til it starts working normal. Take it down in small steps so you know exactly what the limit is, then put it right above that.
March 19, 2012 11:49:13 PM

stickg1 said:
Lol, PHEW! Yeh I would try to bring it down some more, undervolt until you freeze at windows startup and then volt up til it starts working normal. Take it down in small steps so you know exactly what the limit is, then put it right above that.

^This! +1

Once you can boot into windows and pass a stress test without crashing and temps staying below 65C (I prefer staying below 60C) you should be good to go :)  12h stress test minimum but i suggest 24h test to be sure.
March 19, 2012 11:58:33 PM

Okay now i put em this way
NB Voltage1.1000
cpu NB voltage 1.175
cpu voltage 1.225

When i started PRIME95 i had to restart cause i couldnt even move the mouse.. I incrased the CPU voltage and the CPU NB Voltage I didn't touched the NB V. cause one step back and it was gonna be the way it was before...stress test fail... now I'll try with bigger values

PS. Even with these its still 66C so i think i can't go below this....

PS2. Thats what PRIME95 says with the last temps
[Tue Mar 20 02:53:45 2012]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
March 20, 2012 12:04:37 AM

raddybt said:
Okay now i put em this way
NB Voltage1.1000
cpu NB voltage 1.175
cpu voltage 1.225

When i started PRIME95 i had to restart cause i couldnt even move the mouse.. I incrased the CPU voltage and the CPU NB Voltage I didn't touched the NB V. cause one step back and it was gonna be the way it was before...stress test fail... now I'll try with bigger values

PS. Even with these its still 66C so i think i can't go below this....

PS2. Thats what PRIME95 says with the last temps
[Tue Mar 20 02:53:45 2012]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

You might be crashing since you have NB voltage at 1.1v
try 1.2v as the NB voltage will not affect your cpu temps only the CPU NB voltage will.

CPU NB is inside the cpu. (keep this at or under 1.3 until you have a better heatsink fan.)
NB is on the motherboard. (keep this one at 1.75-1.2)

If all you do is game, you'll never see max cpu usage. The stress test shows worst case scenario. If you can't get it much lower than 66 that'll be fine, just be sure to get an aftermarket heatsink when you decide to OC.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 12:10:23 AM

:(  my computer has been acting up since i defaulted the BIOS. Probably a bad move, I thought I had all my OC settings memorized. Oh well I'll mess with it some other time, right now I got a bad 2 year old that refuses to go to sleep so I gotta lay down the law.
March 20, 2012 12:14:42 AM

stickg1 said:
:(  my computer has been acting up since i defaulted the BIOS. Probably a bad move, I thought I had all my OC settings memorized. Oh well I'll mess with it some other time, right now I got a bad 2 year old that refuses to go to sleep so I gotta lay down the law.

Thankfully my kid is only 2 months. xD

That's why I love having saved user defaults. :) 
I have had some weird quirks like that though where an OC holds great after lots of tweaking, go to default, then you put the settings back, and it doesn't like them anymore. :/ 
Chances are it's not your OC settings that it doesn't like, but something else. Like default for HDD's is IDE settings, but should be AHCI on mine. :p 
March 20, 2012 12:15:49 AM

Now Im testing at:
CPU Voltage - 1.2750
CPU NB Voltage - 1.2000
And again i didn't touched to NB Voltage for 15 min testing everything seem to be working good the temperature is 69C

Lets say i stabilize it this way (or with lower values) I was thinking about overclock... What are my options? Can I try clocking it a bit without touching the voltages? Or I MUST buy better cooler?
March 20, 2012 12:23:29 AM

raddybt said:
Now Im testing at:
CPU Voltage - 1.2750
CPU NB Voltage - 1.2000
And again i didn't touched to NB Voltage for 15 min testing everything seem to be working good the temperature is 69C

Lets say i stabilize it this way (or with lower values) I was thinking about overclock... What are my options? Can I try clocking it a bit without touching the voltages? Or I MUST buy better cooler?

Nope, right now you are trying to find the minimum stable voltage for the current clock, its the same for overclocking except you are trying to find the minimum for a higher clock rate.

If you plan to overclock at all, save up like 20-30 bucks, get a cooler master 212+ and you'll be good to go for at least 4ghz and possibly 4.5ghz
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 12:41:40 AM

yeah you should really get an aftermarket cooler for overclocking. i overpaid on mine, get the 212+ omega21xx mentioned. its cheap and does the job. 69C just seems so hot for stock, i remember mine when it was stock i never broke 55C. maybe theres no airflow in your case or the gpu is spitting fire and the heat isnt leaving the case?

@omega21xx
2 months! those are the best days, unless you like sleep! babies are great though I miss having a little baby. my wife does too and wants more but we have three kiddos and i'm gonna go broke as it is! but its totally worth it. i'm coachin t-ball for my 4 year olds team, im just dreading the days of them being unruly teens and loathing me :( 
March 20, 2012 12:53:08 AM

stickg1 said:
yeah you should really get an aftermarket cooler for overclocking. i overpaid on mine, get the 212+ omega21xx mentioned. its cheap and does the job. 69C just seems so hot for stock, i remember mine when it was stock i never broke 55C. maybe theres no airflow in your case or the gpu is spitting fire and the heat isnt leaving the case?

@omega21xx
2 months! those are the best days, unless you like sleep! babies are great though I miss having a little baby. my wife does too and wants more but we have three kiddos and i'm gonna go broke as it is! but its totally worth it. i'm coachin t-ball for my 4 year olds team, im just dreading the days of them being unruly teens and loathing me :( 

69C is too hot for stress testing, however if it's stable they can game for a while on it no problems as they will probably be hitting low 50's in games since games hardly stress 1-2 cores as it is with the rare few stressing 2 cores with a small process on 3 and 4. As long as they get a aftermarket cooler soonish they will be fine as heat is a slow killer, voltage is a fast killer.

Thankfully I don't take care of him at night since I'm the only one paying the bills :p 
I don't think I'm too worried about the teenage years, I am however excited about the 2-5 year old range where they want to help out with everything! The beginning of my own indentured servant :lol: 

Kidding aside, it's not too bad, but I doubt I could handle another so one is all for me :) 
March 20, 2012 1:00:06 AM

Okay guys Thank You VERY MUCH!
Now...im at CPU Voltage 1.3000 and less then 1.2000 CPU NB Voltage (I don't remember what value i used) and everything seems stable for 20 min. I had a crash with a lower CPU Voltage so now what... do i reduce the CPU NB Voltage even more?
March 20, 2012 1:08:18 AM

raddybt said:
Okay guys Thank You VERY MUCH!
Now...im at CPU Voltage 1.3000 and less then 1.2000 CPU NB Voltage (I don't remember what value i used) and everything seems stable for 20 min. I had a crash with a lower CPU Voltage so now what... do i reduce the CPU NB Voltage even more?

CPU NB is very picky about voltage so if you are sure it's stable then leave it.
Make sure to get a cheap heatsink like the one I mentioned (preferably when you get your next paycheck if you can't right now) The cooler the temps on your cpu, the longer it will last.
March 20, 2012 1:15:09 AM

Okay I got it! Thanks just one more thing... its still posible that the temp will go down when i take off the heatsink... and what do i do when i take it off? Put it on again? And do u put the new Termal Paste on top of the old one?
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 1:22:57 AM

raddybt said:
Okay I got it! Thanks just one more thing... its still posible that the temp will go down when i take off the heatsink... and what do i do when i take it off? Put it on again? And do u put the new Termal Paste on top of the old one?

Do you mean when you replace the stock heatsink fan (HSF) with an aftermarket one? or you're going to pull it off now to see how the thermal paste was applied? if you pull it off now i would not recommend it unless you have thermal compound to apply. and you will need to remove the old stuff first (from the HSF and the CPU) use isoprophyl alcohol 90% or higher and coffee filters or any other lint-free cloth. you also must do this when you get your new HSF, clean the cpu, make sure the face of the HSF is free of lint, dust, oil from your fingers.
March 20, 2012 4:03:20 PM

Okay guys I think I solved the problem with the temperature...
I bought new Termal Paste removed the old one as you told me and applied the new one. Now im with default voltages ( CPU V. - 1.4125, CPU NB V. 1.2500). Temp was 80-82 at stress testing with Prime95 now with same voltages temp is 60-62 MAX. I think thats a great improvement!!

Thank you all for your help!! I wouldn't make it without you!!
March 20, 2012 4:55:42 PM

raddybt said:
Okay guys I think I solved the problem with the temperature...
I bought new Termal Paste removed the old one as you told me and applied the new one. Now im with default voltages ( CPU V. - 1.4125, CPU NB V. 1.2500). Temp was 80-82 at stress testing with Prime95 now with same voltages temp is 60-62 MAX. I think thats a great improvement!!

Thank you all for your help!! I wouldn't make it without you!!

Wow, that thermal paste that was on before was crap.
Was it the preapplied stuff that is already on it when you bought the boxed CPU?
Congrats on the new temps however.
March 20, 2012 6:05:38 PM

Thanks, and yes, The paste was allready applied!
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 10:49:33 PM

alright! sounds like a success to me. well done!
!