Sign in with
Your question

SeaSonic X Series X650 or CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850?

Last response: in Components
March 19, 2012 10:30:19 PM

Hi all,

I am in the process of building my first HTPC.. which will also be used for light gaming, video editing and multimedia designing.
Hence planning to go the i5 2500K way. I have started collecting all the components for this build. As i will be keeping this HTPC turned on online 24/7 downloading stuff, I am looking for an ideal power efficient PSU that does not burn my electricity bill.

For this i was looking at two PSU's.. SeaSonic X Series X650 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular or CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850?

Both are gold certified but the Seasonic is a 650W PSU and the Corsair is a 850W PSU. I already have brought the Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 PSU 4 months back when i was planning to build a gaming rig, but dropped the idea till the year end. Hence planned to use the same PSU for the HTPC rig instead, I know the 850W PSU is an over kill for HTPC, but as i already have this brand new PSU sitting in my closet.. i was thinking if i cud use it in the HTPC without burning more electricity bill... hence i would like to know.. will the 850W draw more electricity bill incompared to a 650W PSU, even when the HTPC is not doing resource intensive tasks?? Or should i just stick with the 650W (or lower PSU, and try to sell of the 850W PSU on ebay or something?

I also like the description on the Seasonic PSU above which mentions.

Quote:
Sea Sonic delivers a true breakthrough solution for thermal and noise management. The X Series adopts a clever “Hybrid Silent Fan Control” design, which offers three distinct operation modes, fanless mode, silent mode, and cooling mode. The X automatically adjusts fan mode and speed according to the ambient temperature level. This brand new design not only optimizes heat dissipation, but also prolongs the lifespan of the system by reducing unnecessary fan rotation. To make the X Series even more robust and exciting, Sea Sonic offers a Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan, the best fan there is in the industry, to take advantage of the PWM feature

So, my second question would be, would the CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 PSU capable of the same as Seasonic claims??
a c 697 ) Power supply
March 20, 2012 1:19:11 AM

If you already have it why not use it! It is a quiet quality unit and will work fine.
m
l
March 20, 2012 1:27:46 AM

rolli59 said:
If you already have it why not use it! It is a quiet quality unit and will work fine.

Thanks for your reply, but i wanted to know.. if cud use it in the HTPC without burning more electricity bill... hence i would like to know.. will the 850W draw more electricity bill incompared to a 650W PSU, even when the HTPC is not doing resource intensive tasks?? Or should i just stick with the 650W (or lower PSU, and try to sell of the 850W on ebay or something?
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2012 1:31:36 AM

holyindian said:
Thanks for your reply, but i wanted to know.. if cud use it in the HTPC without burning more electricity bill... hence i would like to know.. will the 850W draw more electricity bill incompared to a 650W PSU, even when the HTPC is not doing resource intensive tasks?? Or should i just stick with the 650W (or lower PSU, and try to sell of the 850W on ebay or something?

It won't make any difference. Unless the efficiency is different, you won't notice anything.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 20, 2012 1:49:30 AM

Seasonic
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Corsair
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Jonny strangely does not test the seasonic at idle, I might guess that its at ~50% efficiency as well.

The seasonic issuperior in effciency but not by much and the Corsair will not noticble impact your electric bill over the seasonic. Most of the time during use you'll be at running around 120w (just a guess) and the seasonic will be 90% efficient and the Corsair about 85% (120w*.05=) 6watts difference... or every 165 hrs the corsair will use an extra 15 cents of electricity. (@ $0.15/kwh)

Nothing to worry about especially considering how many years you'd need to keep the seasonic to make up the extra expense of buying it
m
l
a c 697 ) Power supply
March 20, 2012 1:55:39 AM

Computer components only pull their required power from the PSU so same load on both PSU's!
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:43:39 PM

Ok thanks, I was under an impression, the Watts on the PSU makes all the difference with energy consumption,... eg, a 60W light bulb consumes less less electricity bill as compared to a 100W light bulb.. so this not apply the same for a 650W vs a 850W PSU?
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 20, 2012 5:09:02 PM

Nope, the PC will only draw as much power as it needs to operate. The 650/850W is the rated capacity of the PSU...how much the PSU is capable of delivering on a continuous basis. One thing to note is that modern PSUs are most efficient when operated at 40-60% of max load. Your most common usage (24/7 download) will be a low-load and working in a less efficient operating range; Popatim already gave the impact/difference in costs. I agree that if you already have the Corsair, then use it.
m
l
!