Can motherboards run separate SATA ports on different modes? IDE/AHCI

chrisbroncos76

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hey guys. This is my first post so I am sorry if I am doing anything wrong. I have an ASUS M4N98TD EVO and from what I have read (and I have read a lot), this MB cannot have separate modes for separate SATA ports. I recently bought an INTEL SSD and am trying to install but having plenty of problems. My computer will not recognize the SSD unless I have the SATAs in AHCI and I am not switching all the SATAs to AHCI because that will give me BSOD (everything has been installed previously under IDE). Oh and this MB doesn't even have the 6mbps SATA ports, which is a disappointment.
I am also looking to upgrade to either Ivy or Haswell but I would be fine with just Ivy. If you guys could point me in the right direction towards some (Intel Ivy, PCI) MOBOs that can do seperate modes for separate SATAs, that would be very cool.

Again, sorry If I have done anything wrong. Thanks.

These are my specs, sorry. I put it in my sig but it isn't showing up :/

ASUS M4N98TD EVO
8 GB RAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090
EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB
ASUS DVD RW+
Logitech Gaming Mouse & Keyboard
Sony LED 3D 24" Display (monitor)

Solution
Hi, Why don't you install Windows on the Intel SSD in AHCI mode?
Now, about your question, you can choose a Z77 board with 2 SATA controllers (Intel and Asmedia). This way, you can have the controllers set in different modes.

chrisbroncos76

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Because only the Sata 5 port runs in AHCI mode and when I go to BIOS it only shows SATA ports 1-4. I have no idea why. Windows 7 already has the drivers installed I read. In BIOS it only lets me change the mode for SATA ports 1-4. I also did the regedit trick and set it to "0" instead of "3". My MB just won't enable the 5th SATA port for some odd reason.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will probably just do an Ivy overhaul.

I would disconnect all HDDs, connect the SSD to one of the SATA1-4 ports and the DVD drive to one of the 5-6, set SATA 1-4 to AHCI, then start installing Windows.
Load the SATA driver during Windows installation. When finishing installing Windows, turn off and reconnect the HDD to SATA 1-4.

chrisbroncos76

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Don't really want to go through all that BS. Was hoping to do just a migration. I am just going to get a new MB for an Intel chip and with 2 seperate SATA sets because this board doesn't even have 6mbps SATA. Thank you though. You answered everything.

CoolBOBob1

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

I know I was able to do this in vista, but there's something you can change in the registry, reboot change from ide to achi, and windows will be able to switch so it doesn't have a blue screen.

TRENDING THREADS