What kind of hard drive is best? having a media pc custom built for me and havin

suzyduke

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hello,
I am having a media pc (NO GAMING) custom built for me and having trouble comparing builders quotes...any thoughts or suggesstions greatly appreciated.I decided to go wit the ausu p8z68 motherboard instead of the Gigabyte. And a intel core 15 quad 3.1GHZ processor, 8gb Consair Vengenance ram, for windows 7 hp 64bit. MY REAL QUESTION is what type of hard drive is best for this motherboard.I have been reading up on ssd's and just read an article on "adding" an internal ssd to the hhd for extra speed but keeping with the hhd memory. I am NOT very computer savvy so please be understanding. also not sure if this makes any difference I will been using a 51" plasma for the monitor and want to be able to have dual monitors if possible. Thanks to anyone who has suggesstions or ideas.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Let me just say that computer is over-kill for a media PC.

You really don't need anything more than a simple Dual Core Processor (i3) at the most but even cheaper one of the lower end AMD processors. 4GB RAM again would be PLENTY. System will probably never use more than 2GB.

As for the HDD, depending what media you want on there, a 5400rpm drive would be fine, and possibly a RAID set up for some data redundancy. 1TB HDD's tend to be the best value for money, although prices are all "up-in-the-air" currently due to the flooding abroad.

SSD wouldn't be necessary either.

A low end graphics card might be ideal if your looking for a multi monitor set-up too.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just for comparison, my HTPC (media PC) setup:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240
Mobo: ASRock 760GM-GS3
RAM: G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3-10600
Graphics: HIS HD4670
Tuner: Ceton InfiniTV4
Case: NMediaPC 200BA
Remote: Microsoft MCE Remote
Display: Olevia 232T 720p HDTV/Optoma HD20 1080p Projector

This is strictly a media center PC and as AdrianPerry states, the system you're being quoted is way over-kill. I also agree that you do not need an SSD in your PC.

-Wolf sends

Good advice here for an HTPC setup. Any i5 series CPU is not necessary, nor the SSD or 8GB or memory (although it is cheap these days). Any hard drive will be fine in a true HTPC so a "green" drive, or low RPM, would be the choice for low power consumption and noise (no... not Western Digital Green). Samsung, Seagate or Hitachi (..and probably in that order). The build below is for reference if you are looking for additional options. Prices have changed slightly, but you get the idea.

AMD Llano HTPC

MB - ASRock A75M-HVS FM1 A75 - $73 shipped
CPU - AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Quad-Core FM1 with HD 6530D - $120 shipped
CPU Cooler - XIGMATEK 92mm Low profile - $31 shipped
MEM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - $23 shipped
HD - Seagate 1TB - $139 shipped
OPTICAL - ASUS Black 24X DVD-RW - $19
PSU - Antec NEO ECO 400w - $25 shipped after $10 MIR
CASE - Silverstone HTPC - $75 shipped

$490 shipped after rebates.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
That SilverStone HTPC case is quite nice :) also its only $60 now :)

Real shame about HDD prices currently, they are screwing over budget builds and low end PC's in a BIG way :(

The CPU cooler in that build is also more than likely unnecessary - stock cooling would be fine :)

The stock cooler would probably be fine, but I think the clearance at the top of the case is tight and impacts airflow. The XIGMATEK is a low profile and would allow for some overclocking.