Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected

murfeezlaw

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
i see a lot of other people getting this same error message. i came down downstairs in the morning and saw. "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".
I checked the cables, i tried connecting the HDD to another SATA slot and i keep getting the same error message. i'm praying the HDD isn't dead. i had most of it backed up but not all of it including some of my Outlook messages.

Also i tried putting the Windows 7 OS disc in there and re-booting but I get the same error message on the screen. It doesn't look like my HDD is being recognized and it won't let me boot to CD. i'm not sure where to go from here.

This is what my BIOS Main screen looks like
2013-01-25%2010.00.33.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmu55ozj3loabxs/2013-01-25%2010.00.33.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated. This is driving me nuts. Computers are like cars. when they're running good life is good but man one hiccup and i'm stressing out thinking i've lost everything on this HDD that wasn't backed up.

Ted

murfeezlaw

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Thank you for your reply Alex. i connected the HDD to my other computer and tried booting it. when the PC starts it sends me to the Start Up Repair screen. When I choose the StartUp Repair option it runs for what seems like an eternity. I stopped it eventually. I went into the BIOS and can see the HDD listed. When in the BIOS of my other PC the HDD was not being listed. Does that mean there is a problem with the SATA Controller? If so how do i fix that? Do I need a whole new Motherboard?

The HDD doesn't start in the other PC probably because of the SATA setting (try switching to IDE, if in AHCI).
Most probably it's a SATA controller issue. What motherboard are you using?
You can try installing a PCI SATA controller or using a HDD enclosure and booting from it.

murfeezlaw

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

I put the HDD back in the other PC. I went into BIOS and switched it to IDE but still came up with same error on screen.

Motherboard: Pegatron m2n78-la
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 820
HDD: Hitachi 1 TB

i don't have a HDD enclosure but i just ordered one. it'll be here tomorrow.

i'm wondering if i order a PCI SATA controller and hook it up to that it'll work? What's the difference between having it hooked up to the controller vs the Motherboard?

Sorry, i'm a bit of a newbie w the HW end of it.

Ted

Checked on another forum and it seems that the SATA controller might not work http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/m8530f-desktop-PC-with-M2N78-LA-mother-board-doesn-t/td-p/234338 - the last post.
Is there an option in BIOS for booting from a removable drive? Try making a bootable USB and see if the board does boot from it. Just to make sure that the enclosure will work.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=make+bootable+usb&oq=make+bootable+usb&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.1445.4834.0.4943.17.10.0.7.7.0.62.563.10.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.2kTYkqg6c6k

murfeezlaw

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I actually found my old Bytecc USB 2.0 Drive Mate. I used it to connect the HDD to my other PC and after a few tries i was able to view the drive and all the files. So i'm relieved i'll at least be able to back everything up.

Thank you for your time on this. i'm going to take a look at your links now...

murfeezlaw

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
So it appears that BIOS is not going to recognize my HDD or DVD drive. If i installed a PCI to SATA Card would that work? I've read a few posts saying that that may work but also one or two saying that wouldn't work. I need to either buy the Card or buy a PC. Time is of the essence for me unfortunately because i work from home.

if there is a chance my PC will see my HDD when i install the SATA card then it's worth waiting a week.

Thanks
Ted