Sign in with
Your question

Is this a decent 3d rendering build?

Last response: in CPUs
March 19, 2012 10:55:20 PM

hey guys just wanted to know if you all thought this is a decent cs5/cad/rendering workstation. i'm not sure wether or not this graphics card is going to be okay, i'd thought about the quadro 2000 but that really is a lot more money, let me know what you guys think.

CPU- intel core 17 2600k
Motherboard- asus p8z68
memory- CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Power supply - corsair hx650 bronze
Graphics card - quadro 600 (help!!!! is this good?!?!?!)
SSD - Crucial M4 128gb
Storage - seagate 7200rpm 1tb
case - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case
drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Is this okay? also i know barely anything about SSD except people are recommending them, is this something i should consider or should i cut it to save cost?

Thanks so much!!!!!!

More about : decent rendering build

a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 12:05:23 AM

It is a solid build. Just buy a good aftermarket cpu cooler, it is a good investment to prolong the lifespan of the CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 12:09:49 AM

bmoreguy said:
hey guys just wanted to know if you all thought this is a decent cs5/cad/rendering workstation. i'm not sure wether or not this graphics card is going to be okay, i'd thought about the quadro 2000 but that really is a lot more money, let me know what you guys think.

CPU- intel core 17 2600k
Motherboard- asus p8z68
memory- CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Power supply - corsair hx650 bronze
Graphics card - quadro 600 (help!!!! is this good?!?!?!)
SSD - Crucial M4 128gb
Storage - seagate 7200rpm 1tb
case - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case
drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Is this okay? also i know barely anything about SSD except people are recommending them, is this something i should consider or should i cut it to save cost?

Thanks so much!!!!!!
The M4 SSD is great, but the SAMSUNG 830 128GB SSD is faster.

The CM Storm Trooper is a much better case and it comes with a free DVD burner.

I'm sorry but I no nothing about Workstation cards.

This thread belongs HERE
m
l
March 20, 2012 12:11:46 AM

I went through Tom's review and this is the conclusion that they came up with in quote:

"The FirePro V3900 is a fitting successor for the V3800. Priced at £95, we consider it to be a good value in the entry-level workstation graphics card space. As long as you're primarily looking at mostly static CAD images, this card is a good alternative to the low-end Quadro cards, both with respect to price and performance.

We aren't going out on a limb when we call it a price/performance leader for its segment. However, we must stress that the graphics processing potential of this card is comparably low-end compared to the Radeon HD 6570 with which most folks are familiar. Thus, the FirePro V3900 may be unsuitable for more demanding professional workloads, such as complex CAD animations. In the end, you need to take the application software, the use case, and your budget into account when making your purchase decision. If you don't need high-end graphics performance, a low-power, low-profile card like the V3900 may be the right buy for you."

Like it says above, these cards are on the basic end for Cad and other graphic rendoring software. It all depends on what you are trying to do with it. Hope that at all helps. Good Luck!
m
l
March 20, 2012 1:13:50 AM

I don't know much about workstation graphics cards, but if you're on a budget I'd probably just go with a video card with 2+ gigs of memory. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and if that's too much, then maybe take a look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... If you ever wanted to do some gaming, then you'd be good to go :) 

For an ssd, I'd get this when it comes back in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It's faster than both the Crucial and Samsung drives (although you can't go wrong with any of them). Sadly, its 8gb less of storage.

Like aqe040466 said, get an aftermarket cooler. I'm using a Thermaltake Frio and it works great, but it's kinda loud. If you aren't worried about size, then go for a Noctua NH-D14: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... But if you are, then you could go for something like a Corsair H100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The rest of the build looks great! I do a TON of 3D rendering, animation, and work in cs5. The 2600k + 16gb of ram is awesome! I'm also running a z68 board with a 650w psu. I'm waiting on the release of Kepler to decide which video card to get as I am temporarily using a 6850.

Oh and the NZXT Phantom is a great choice. I have it and I think its sexy, but it's all about personal preference. That's why I tend to not change case choices, unless the case is just awful...
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
March 20, 2012 1:58:37 AM

Ideally you want 3 HDD setups. OS, cache/workdisk, and final storage so that you are not pulling the file from storage, processing it and then trying to write it back to the same storage you're reading from.

Adobe forums should have an good writeup on how to setup the drives. Thats where I read it all those years ago.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
March 20, 2012 2:36:22 AM

You will want to overclock the 2600k. When not overclocked the 2600k didn't feel right in cinema 4d, but once I overclocked it was a much better experience.
m
l
March 20, 2012 2:48:43 AM

amuffin said:
You will want to overclock the 2600k. When not overclocked the 2600k didn't feel right in cinema 4d, but once I overclocked it was a much better experience.
+1 I use Cinema 4D a lot and my Cinebench score went up from like 6.84 to 8.63 when I OCed to 4.5GHz. It gets up to mid 9s when I push it to 4.8GHz. It's so helpful when rendering animations!
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
March 20, 2012 2:56:11 AM

yougotjaked said:
+1 I use Cinema 4D a lot and my Cinebench score went up from like 6.84 to 8.63 when I OCed to 4.5GHz. It gets up to mid 9s when I push it to 4.8GHz. It's so helpful when rendering animations!

Though i wish our cards performed much better in it LOL
m
l
March 20, 2012 3:11:29 AM

amuffin said:
Though i wish our cards performed much better in it LOL
I know lol I'm hoping to sell off my 6850 and maybe buy a new video card, but I'll wait to see Kepler performs! Btw I've been going through some of your videos. I love your dubstep videos haha. And I seriously think we should have MacXAreBombX on this forum. Hey, maybe he could learn a thing or two :D 
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
March 20, 2012 3:13:20 AM

yougotjaked said:
I know lol I'm hoping to sell off my 6850 and maybe buy a new video card, but I'll wait to see Kepler performs! Btw I've been going through some of your videos. I love your dubstep videos haha. And I seriously think we should have MacXAreBombX on this forum. Hey, maybe he could learn a thing or two :D 

haha you say it! :lol:  I have some c4d animations i need to upload also!
m
l
!